Top quality boatyard

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

Honest quotes and timescales, reasonable hourly rate and not to get ripped off when buying replacements or consumables.

If booking boat in, knowing that it will be started on the day agreed and finished pretty much when agreed.

Knowledge that the work will be done to a good standard and guaranteed where possible.

Of course other problems sometimes crop up or are discovered during work....this to be documented and communicated at the time, not dropped on the final invoice as a shock.

I agree with what Matty said but would add that communication is a two way thing and it is important that the boatyard clearly understand what work you want done and what you want to do regarding any extra work that crops up. For instance when I last had mine blacked I asked them to have a good look at the prop and rudder in case there was any work which might be needed. Fortunately all was well. This work was done by Oundle Marina on the river Nene who did a fine job both of the work and communications.

I tend to only use people in Braunston for any work I cannot undertake myself. I know them all well, and rarely even ask how much a job will cost, as their charges are always reasonable. On a couple of occassions I have given them more, because I thought they had undercharged for the job.

... it is important that the boatyard clearly understand what work you want done and what you want to do regarding any extra work that crops up.

When WFBCo were doing major work on our motor and later when Stockton Dry dock were rebuilding the butty, I'd travel up every Saturday (round trip about 200 miles) and they would say what they were going to do during the next week. In that way there was no misunderstanding and the work proceeded without a hitch.

Each month I got a very detailed invoice, which was rather like an essay spelling out exactly what had been done. and I'd pay instantly.

Edited by koukouvagia

Never used a boat yard, but a good feel, reputation, willing to talk the job over, keep you updated, do what they say they would and what you ask for, been there a while or have some histroy of the job.

Daniel

When my boat was getting shotblasted it took twice as much glass as normal they still stuck to their original quote. Because of circumstances beyond their control speedy hire turning up 3 days late with a broken compressor which then took 2 days to replace the broken compressor I was in the dry dock for nearly 2 weeks using their power etc no extra charge but hard work for them

Peter

I think it can be summarised as :

Do what they say they are going to do, and, have the skills to 'do it'.

Do it within the time frame they have quoted.

Do it within the price quoted.

Obviously 'things' happen that can affect the situation, but they should be rare.

An example of an 'exceptional' boat yard - Trevithics (Nottingham)

Make sure the price you're quoted includes Vat. Having gone to a boatyard for work on my own boat, and said "here is a list of jobs, but I only have £1500, please call me when you reach that amount" and stopped work at £1350 or so, I was very surprised to see an invoice for more than 1.5k. And quite glad I hadn't spent up to my limit, because I didn't have very much more money than that.

Maybe I was excessively naive for not checking, but it caught me out.