Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

There have been official BW/CRT no mooring signs on the Ansty embankment for donkey's years. There's a short stretch at Nantwich too, IIRC. It might be that they are justified by bank stability issues, possibly, but I reckon that would be post hoc rationalisation.

The ones in Nantwich dor of this parish could give the full story from CRT as I facilitated for a member of CRT staff to meet him there and discuss it but the brief reply on that one is that CRT say it was nothing to do with the houses

I think you will find that the ones at Ansty are official...unless someone has used the same sign supplier as CRT even down to the posts and fixings.....as to if they are are for privacy or to protect the embankment that might be open to debate.

Cheers

Gareth

I think you will find that the ones at Ansty are official...unless someone has used the same sign supplier as CRT even down to the posts and fixings.....as to if they are are for privacy or to protect the embankment that might be open to debate.

Cheers

Gareth

From what CRT told me it must be to protect the embankment

Well I'd like to think you are right, but I fear you are not.

Just how much damage can a few mooring spikes going down a foot or two, do to a massive embankment holding back millions of tons of water. Presumably there is someone one site to shoot all the rabbits too!

An excuse maybe, but not a reason. And if it is a problem, why not put in piling and/ or rings?

Edited by nicknorman

There is a long history to those. They were put up by BW at the request of residents as boats are around the same height as bedroom windows on the adjacent road

That's not to say CRT have any knowledge of the history

Richard

The Ansty ones were put in years ago, suspect it was after 2002, after a complaint from a local householder who also just happened to be a local councillor.......

And a local boater boater Jeff Dennison tried very hard to have them removed.

http://www.waterwaysongs.co.uk/memories_of_the_waterways_details.html

When we sent last Ansty last year, for the first time in maybe 5 years, I noticed that the visitor moorings just before the bridge, which is before the embankment when heading towards Coventry had been reduced in size with no mooring opposite the new houses there, and also some converted to long term moorings.

And a local boater boater Jeff Dennison tried very hard to have them removed.

http://www.waterwaysongs.co.uk/memories_of_the_waterways_details.html

In that case it must have been pre 2002 I couldn't remember if Jeff fought it so assumed it was after he left us.

I see your favorite band is in that list ;)

Edited by Loddon

Alan the trouble is that if we (you) persist in the line that the householder should just put up with it, in the end boaters will lose that battle and that is in no-ones best interests.

As is often the case Nick, you are very good at suggesting people have said what they actually have not.

Have I anywhere suggested that "the householder should just put up with it", (which of course anyway assumes that he is putting up with something unreasonable, given he has chosen to buy a house backing on to a popular canal, at a popular mooring spot - he has no right to assume there will not be boats there, does he?0.

I have nowhere supported the behaviour of any boater that is unreasonable, but I'm in no position to know how exaggerated the claims are

However what this twonk has done in terms of vandalising the towpath is clearly totally unacceptable, and I would rather see CRT taking action against him, than action in support of him, if I'm totally honest.

As is often the case Nick, you are very good at suggesting people have said what they actually have not.

Have I anywhere suggested that "the householder should just put up with it", (which of course anyway assumes that he is putting up with something unreasonable, given he has chosen to buy a house backing on to a popular canal, at a popular mooring spot - he has no right to assume there will not be boats there, does he?0.

Ok fair enough, but by not proposing any amelioration to the householder's grievances, whilst condemning the actions he has taken off his own bat, it is not a great leap to presume that you think he should just put up with it.

He did buy a house backing onto a canal, he may or may have not appreciated how many boats would moor there, he may or may not have appreciated the nuisance potential of them, and indeed if he bought the house some time ago, the quantity of boats will have dramatically increased since he bought it.

If I buy a house next to another house, is it reasonable for the noisy residents of the other house, playing loud music late at night, to defend their actions by saying "we were very noisy before you moved here, you should have realised"?

The "quiet mooring signs" seem to be CRT`s answer to complaints. Unfortunately they seem to be able to authorise these restrictions after minimal complaint. These have now been introduced in Blisworth after the Candle Bridge going South. Enquiries by the locals have discovered that these have been erected on the basis of one complainant, the other residents are happy with the moorers they have and consider many of them to be friends. CRT should at least take notice of all residents before imposing any additional restrictions.

They're lying. Or at best, personally misinformed. The Ansty ones have been there for years and have changed from BW to CRT.

I agree that ones at Ansty on the embankment overlooking houses, across a road, are official CRT (I guess BW before that) signs and have been there for years. In fact when we came through at Ester this year I noticed that area with no mooring signs has now been extended right up to the M69 bridge.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed a "Quiet Mooring" sign.

Is there any further explanation on them, like what is meant i.e. no generators at all perhaps? Or something else?

And what is likely to happen to unco-operative boaters who ignore them, I wonder...

"Quiet Moorings" seems quite a good response to a lot of householder objections to boaters mooring. The other main objection householders have is smoke.

I can imagine boaters on here saying CRT have no authority to nominate moorings as 'Quiet", rather like the £25 overstaying charge.

If the quiet mooring zones are voluntary, as it seems they are, then I guess nothing can be done to enforce them. But I can see some boaters liking them as much as householders.

And if, as sometimes seems to happen, a householder comes out ranting before you've even managed to moor up, they can be told (in a whisper) to go away, because it's a quiet zone.

If the quiet mooring zones are voluntary, as it seems they are, then I guess nothing can be done to enforce them. But I can see some boaters liking them as much as householders.

And if, as sometimes seems to happen, a householder comes out ranting before you've even managed to moor up, they can be told (in a whisper) to go away, because it's a quiet zone.

Yes I was thinking this. Quiet mooring zones are an EXCELLENT idea.

I'll always use them in preference. I hope they spread prolifically.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

In that case it must have been pre 2002 I couldn't remember if Jeff fought it so assumed it was after he left us.

I see your favorite band is in that list wink.png

Shush sick.gif

I see your favorite band is in that list wink.png

It was after the second GIG which he organised at the Club at Ansty but it must have been before the Stafford one.

Shush sick.gif

It was after the second GIG which he organised at the Club at Ansty but it must have been before the Stafford one.

Ansty 1996

Hopwass 1997

Normanton 1998

Stafford 1999

So when was the 2nd Ansty Gig

Edited by Loddon

Unfortunately the owner of burnt out boat has made a visit.

His boat is named and showing licence number, suspected Arson

wasn't contacted by anyone, first he learnt of his fire whilst Bumping into forum member Mike Tee on the tow path

Our sympathys for the Dave, owner of the boat, certainly won't be his day today.

Col

Edited by bigcol