The Grain Run.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

For anyone wanting to know the history of the Witham and Fosse Dyke, the video 'The Grain Run' from the BBC series made in 1984, and presented by Pete Morgan is as good a place to start as any.

Certainly taught me a lot about Lincoln and my local county.

• 10 years later...

Though posted some 1o years ago, the Grain Run makes interesting watching and from 2010 a selection has been available on utube. It follows a  journey for moving grain as the Romans did from the Wash, Witham, Fossyke, Trent and Ouse to York using the Sarah Whitby on the Witham and Fossdyke and the tanker Humber Dawn on the Trent and includes a view passing Stockwith with mention of Brindley's Chesterfield Canal that brought coal down to the Trent..

• 2 weeks later...

The Grain Run?. Does anyone remember the Sunblest bread 'grain run' on the river Thames as featured on the Magpie television programme circa 1969/70?. A 'bargee' is filmed and interviewed by the film crew while working a motorised Thames lighter in the area of (or through?) Teddington lock while taking grain to the Sunblest factory somewhere on the river Thames. 

It was only seen once on the telly 47-48 years ago so my facts maybe slightly muddled?.