driving stern seat

umpire111

Featured Posts

am considering putting a seat on the stern of my trad boat. Can someone please advise where I can buy the stand and seat although quite happy to provide the actual seat myself. Also does it have to welded or can it be bolted on

But people have them fitted on semi trads and cruiser sterns???

And they can be equally as dangerous. I saw Somebody a few weeks back struggling to put their tiller hard over as they were sat in the way, they ended up leaning as far back as they could with the tiller across themselves. If something had been pushed in to their rudder at this moment there would be a high risk of them getting knocked off the stern.

The bloke who died in the Harecastle tunnel recently is thought to have been sitting on his seat on a stick.

General opinion is his head hit the roof where the tunnel roof lowers, and he was swept off the boat backwards into the water, and the boat carried on without him. What a horrendous thing for his wife to discover.

Are you SURE you want a seat on a stick?

I would have thought that the steerer wouldn't be able to see over the cabin sat on a comfortable height seat ,my view is the less clutter on the counter the better, those rails /seat affairs on trad sterns are in my view a possible disaster waiting to happen

most interesting, but does anyone know ehere I can buy one from- am aware of the pros and cons.

All the ones I've seen I think have been home made.

Old tractor seats are popular, and are also attractive to the light fingered brigade.

Merely bolting them to the counter may suffice but is likely to eventually result in separation due to fatigue through flexing and movement.

If you are intent on this I suggest you try juggling chainsaws first to get a feel for things.

I wouldn't do without my taff rails, it suits me and have cruised extensively, hit my head in Harecastle tunnel and still here. Rarely i sit on them when steering but use them when in the lock or landing area and for attaching my anchor for quick release, hanging my washing hurly gurly thing. There are loads of boats fitted with these seats and lots of hire boats have seats on their cruiser sterns. We are entitled to our opinions and i think there is 50/50 split on this just like the cassette or pump out

discussions.

am considering putting a seat on the stern of my trad boat. Can someone please advise where I can buy the stand and seat (1)although quite happy to provide the actual seat myself. Also does it have to welded or can it be bolted on(2)

(1) Not possible they are made to order by the person fitting the pole. The seat possibly, the 'tractor' seat seems the most used.

(2) welding would be better and easier, with possibly a 'spreading plate' on the counter.

Warning you may not like this bit and do not have to read it.

I now come to my opinion and also that of someone else that has them fitted. They are ugly and dangerous, the person that has them is having them removed.

(1) Not possible they are made to order by the person fitting the pole. The seat possibly, the 'tractor' seat seems the most used.

(2) welding would be better and easier, with possibly a 'spreading plate' on the counter.

Warning you may not like this bit and do not have to read it.

I now come to my opinion and also that of someone else that has them fitted. They are ugly and dangerous, the person that has them is having them removed.

This was the poor guy that died in Harecastle Tunnel:

article-2711749-2028206000000578-548_634

Make a seat out of foam & leatherette, shaped to fit the space between the handrail & cabin slide, removeable & comfort. Other than that a step by the doors to heave yourself up ! Much safer.

Edited by Alf27

Company trading as K M Joinery manufactures Captain perches seats. I had a pair on my last boat, cruiser stern and they were in front of the tiller sweep...OP can google if he wishes, good quality product. I would not sit on one fitted to a trad but its a free country.

Ian.

I find it deeply disturbing to see that photo of the dead man, doing what (probably) lead to his demise.

Hopefully those that may be considering similar installations on their own boats will feel the same.

Just looks like an "accident waiting to happen", made worse by the probability that it did, and fatally so.