Another strange looking narrowboat on Ebay

David Mack

Featured Posts

That is a disaster waiting to happen. That corner where the 'bow' meets the sides is very vulnerable to rubbing when entering a lock. A season or two and it will be worn through

Richard

Pretty ugly, buy probably really practical if it swims OK, bit like a mini moke, good if you have to replace it!

That is a disaster waiting to happen. That corner where the 'bow' meets the sides is very vulnerable to rubbing when entering a lock. A season or two and it will be worn through

Richard

Yeah, I guess, but I wonder if it will just profile itself to the right shape?

Looks like a type built near New Mills, Peak Forest Canal.

The idea was that they would float but not actually go anywhere, thus fine lines etc were surplus to requirements.

They were intended to be floating holiday cottages.

George ex nb Alton retired

Richard

Whilst not disagreeing with you, it is probably better than a typical powered BW work flat, and they don't seem to rub through on the largely unprotected "pointed" corners.

Still seems to have been built by someone pretty clueless and/or someone with limited fabrication skills though!

edit to ask what sort of stern has it got???

No back deck as such by looks of pic 3 and does look more static boat variety. If that was its initial purpose then building a simple punty shape seems quite reasonable. Not sure that I'd want to bounce through narrows too often with it though. Then again no mention of motive power so it could be a slow bowhaul.

Pretty ugly, buy probably really practical if it swims OK, bit like a mini moke, good if you have to replace it!

Yeah, I guess, but I wonder if it will just profile itself to the right shape?

Just in case you are serious - no it wont! It will wear through the welded corner. It's the strongest part of the hull in that area and has no rubbing strakes

Richard

"Fugly" to quote a certain plumber of the parish.

edit to ask what sort of stern has it got???

One with no swim, counter, rudder, propeller or engine I'd predict.

So the chances of it wearing out from going through many locks seem pretty slim!

There's a similar-looking skip I mean boat at Sowerby Bridge you can spot it as you go past.

I wonder if those yellow builders' skips float... 20hp Evinrude and away you go!

Yes, they do. There was a programme about landing craft in which they put a motor on a skip

Richard

There's a similar-looking skip I mean boat at Sowerby Bridge you can spot it as you go past.

I wonder if those yellow builders' skips float... 20hp Evinrude and away you go!

The chain ferry that crosses the Avon at Stratford looks remarkably like a skip.