I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) on your mobile phone.

Chop!

Featured Posts

But that isn't done automatically and has to be requested from the service provider, which can take a while, and the accuracy varies depending on the size of the cell and the number of masts in use; for example, the bigger the cell the less accurate it is, and there are plenty of cells that use less than 3 masts.

This information was provided to our voluntary organisation from the mobile phone companies.

How long ago was that?

The info graham gave is accurate, the system can also be requested by the mobile device to give a very fast rough position, when the signal strengths of known phone transmitters and known wi-fi stations are combined you can get a fairly accurate position within about 5 seconds compared with a first fix time of around a minute for true gps devices.

Most phones will use this for their initial position and then correct the position as the gps system starts to get a position (this is why when you firs open a maps app on your phone the position shown can be a few 100 yards out but then jump to the accurate position), in general this combination is known as A-GPS or Assisted GPS.

This is also how tablets like the iPad Mini (wi-fi only version) can get a position when they do not contain any gps hardware or 3g hardware, they are triangulating based on wi-fi signals.

How long ago was that?

Less than 18 months.

It came about because a person was lost in a local forest and was able to use their phone sporadically whilst we were searching for them. A request was sent for a "trace" but we were told it would take a couple of hours to get the info and as only 2 masts covered the cell it would not be accurate anyway.

The person was eventually found by getting them to stay still and give a good description of what they could see and hear, and with good local knowledge they were then found safely.

Jess, that only works if there are "adequate" wi-fi signals. Not that common away from urban areas, especially up here!

Edited by Graham Davis

IIRC, GPS is a reception only system. Carriers can only locate you if you have software on your phone that either embeds the GPS signal into your handset id broadcast (like a modified ping) or an active data connection.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

On android phones there is an "owner info" option under security. Good for adding an ICE / If lost or found contact. The info appears on the lock screen.

On the iPhone 6 there is a function called Medical ID which is shown on the emergency screen. so you don't need to unlock it

Details on setting it up are here http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/50929/how-do-i-set-medical-id-on-my-iphone-6-for-personal-emergencies/

to access it select Emergency off the screen when locked and bottom left there is red text click on that and you can see all the data and it allows you to call the Person listed.

Blood type.

Organ donor etc...

It is well though through

Bob

I use and can reccommend the paid for version of I.C.E. (small one-off payment) from Matrix Mobile Applications

Yes, it could get wet if your phone went in the canal or it could be fried if you are struck by lightning etc.

But as an accident-prone biker / boater / cyclist / imbiber I feel it does a great job.

Only last week a biker mate's wife skidded her Harley on a cowgrid in the middle of nowhere, although she sustained quite a few injuries, she remained concious and managed to pilot her bike home (real woman!).

Had she been found unconcious this app could have saved her life. Or had she been lying injured and unable to move she could have tapped one button to get help.

The laminated card is a good idea too!

Edited by Chop!