Railings for Marple aqueduct - whats next?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Well yes I understand that can happen but then I'd have expected wheel tracks in the grass verge behind the crane showing it leaving the road.

Actually there are wheel tracks ahead of the crane, so it looks as though he reversed back onto the verge and it collapsed. Probably to let something coming the other way pass.

I see wheel tracks behind the crane. The front of the crane is nearest the photographer - it is the end with the wheels that steer.

I see wheel tracks behind the crane. The front of the crane is nearest the photographer - it is the end with the wheels that steer.

Also - skid marks on the road, curving towards the crane, (and, starting behind the crane) with parallel tyre marks in the grass verge.

Well yes I understand that can happen but then I'd have expected wheel tracks in the grass verge behind the crane showing it leaving the road.

Best stick to boilers - accident 'investigation;' is obviously not your forte.

Rightly so. It isn't a practicable proposition to remove all the inherited hazards on an 18th century infrastructure network but once you have identified those hazards it would be negligible to knowingly create new ones of the same nature where there is an obvious alternative.

JP

To get this discussion back on the rails I'd just like to agree with Captain Pegg.

To get this discussion back on the rails I'd just like to agree with Captain Pegg.

I would agree with you with the proviso that 'negligible' was replaced by 'negligent'

Captain Pegg, on 16 Jan 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:snapback.png

Rightly so. It isn't a practicable proposition to remove all the inherited hazards on an 18th century infrastructure network but once you have identified those hazards it would be negligible to knowingly create new ones of the same nature where there is an obvious alternative.

JP

Unless - the proposal is that as there are so many 'hazards' a few more make a negligible difference ?

I would agree with you with the proviso that 'negligible' was replaced by 'negligent'

Captain Pegg, on 16 Jan 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:snapback.png

Unless - the proposal is that as there are so many 'hazards' a few more make a negligible difference ?

I can't edit the post any longer but it should have said negligent. Maybe Bugsworth Tippler no longer agrees with me!

JP

I found the article about the crane that fell off the road rather more intriguing. How on earth did that happen?

(Presumably I'll be labelled 'ghoulish' again for enquiring...)

image.jpg

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/road_closure_in_wangford_after_crane_overturns_1_4853694

I found your constant hectoring of the poor bloke distasteful Mike.

Please don't dwell on it.

I can't edit the post any longer but it should have said negligent. Maybe Bugsworth Tippler no longer agrees with me!

JP

I do agree and admit to mis-reading negligible in the first instance, anyway.

"Rightly so. It isn't a practicable proposition to remove all the inherited hazards on an 18th century infrastructure network but once you have identified those hazards it would be negligent to knowingly create new ones of the same nature where there is an obvious alternative."

Now I'm wondering what the end of the sentence is refering to? I'm thinking that an obvious alternative is effective signage.

My opinion is that the railings are unnecessary. They would not necessarily prevent unthinking individuals (idiots) or those intent on self harm from harming themselves and, as has been stated previously, the railings may introduce additional dangers.

I do agree and admit to mis-reading negligible in the first instance, anyway.

"Rightly so. It isn't a practicable proposition to remove all the inherited hazards on an 18th century infrastructure network but once you have identified those hazards it would be negligent to knowingly create new ones of the same nature where there is an obvious alternative."

Now I'm wondering what the end of the sentence is refering to? I'm thinking that an obvious alternative is effective signage.

My opinion is that the railings are unnecessary. They would not necessarily prevent unthinking individuals (idiots) or those intent on self harm from harming themselves and, as has been stated previously, the railings may introduce additional dangers.

It refers to the fact that the law requires a reasonable approach to minimising risk. The example was that of the lack of clearance that results from arched bridges typical of early canal construction and the trapping risk they pose. With modern engineering materials there is no need to construct a bridge in such a manner therefore it would not be reasonable to create that risk on a new structure.

In terms of the railing stopping those intent on self harm you may be surprised how effective simple measures can be. The intent isn't necessarily that strong.

JP

UPDATE:

I've had a response from the NW office of English Heritage. There are no current Scheduled Monument Consents for Marple Aqueduct. The last one was for the mounting of a plaque by CRT in March 2016.

Thanks for letting us know.....I suppose we just now need to keep an eye out for CRT just trying to fit them anyhow.

Gareth

UPDATE:

I've had a response from the NW office of English Heritage. There are no current Scheduled Monument Consents for Marple Aqueduct. The last one was for the mounting of a plaque by CRT in March 2016.

Good news!

I can also report that there are no signs of any railings on or stored in the vicinity of the aqueduct. The trees and shrubs between the railway aqueduct and the waterway aqueduct have been cut back since I last reported and the stumps painted green (presumably to prevent regrowth). This makes the large red warning signs very visible.

C&RT were out in force for their Open Day today which, no doubt, will be hailed a huge success. There were lots of people and 'volunteers', excessive amounts of bunting and signs, and queues to go down in an empty lock. The problems with the lock flight were plain for all to see with locks that did contain water leaking to create rivers down the towpath. There clearly is an interest in the canals from local people who would like to see the heritage preserved.

The trees and shrubs between the railway aqueduct and the waterway aqueduct have been cut back since I last reported and the stumps painted green (presumably to prevent regrowth).

The green is more likely to be a fungicide to prevent rot and decay getting a hold.

I wish they would do more cutting back round the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this from CRT:

Dear Sir

Thanks for your message about this. Weve been looking at this proposal for a little while now which followed incidents occurring and our current project in the area. The Trust has taken the decision that a railing should be provided.

The historic nature of the site means that we need to give this careful consideration and are currently working up design proposals. When we are happy about what we want to do we will apply for the necessary heritage consents for the site and the proposals and proposals will then be subject to public consultation.

We recognise that not everyone believes that a fence is necessary here and for some, this is a very controversial thing to do. It is not s decision that the Trust has taken lightly, the incidents that have been reported to us and the anecdotal evidence that has come to light as a consequence of a consultation that we have already run about this have convinced us that do need to protect this edge.

The link below is to the outputs report from the consultation previously completed

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/our-plans-to-install-safety-railings-at-marple-aqueduct

I hope that this gives you the information that you need.

The green is more likely to be a fungicide to prevent rot and decay getting a hold.

I wish they would do more cutting back round the system.

Thats nothing I have ever heard of before, have you experience of this?

I must admit I am unsure why this would be done

Thats nothing I have ever heard of before, have you experience of this?

I must admit I am unsure why this would be done

You will know more about it than me but I am just translating my horticultural training to the trees. It is common practice when pruning to treat cuts (particularly when large) with a proprietary dressing sealing and containing a fungicide (at least they did when I trained in the mid 60s).

You will know more about it than me but I am just translating my horticultural training to the trees. It is common practice when pruning to treat cuts (particularly when large) with a proprietary dressing sealing and containing a fungicide (at least they did when I trained in the mid 60s).

Ahh ok, I see where your coming from now.

I think they were stumps from felled trees not pruning cuts. The chemical to treat stumps is often coloured to let the operator and client see whats been done.

Plus wound paint is not used anymore, it was found to cause more problems than it cured, I think there is the occasional use in orchards to prevent silver leaf but very very occasional

A friend of mine recently posted that he was climbing a council step ladder when he felt something sharp dig into his palm and draw blood. He looked and saw it was the cut off end of a cable tie. The cable tie was used to attach a Health & Safety warning.

So he was injured by H&S.

>>> The historic nature of the site means that we need to give this careful consideration and are currently working up design proposals. When we are happy about what we want to do we will apply for the necessary heritage consents for the site and the proposals and proposals will then be subject to public consultation.

The link below is to the outputs report from the consultation previously completed

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/our-plans-to-install-safety-railings-at-marple-aqueduct

I wonder if they have considered painting "NO STEP" at intervals along the offside 'non-towpath'? It seems to work for aircraft wings, and would be analogous to "MIND THE GAP" on railway platforms.

I wonder if they have considered painting "NO STEP" at intervals along the offside 'non-towpath'? It seems to work for aircraft wings, and would be analogous to "MIND THE GAP" on railway platforms.

Would 'MIND THE DROP' be better?