new rule - hot off the press.

matty40s

Featured Posts

Some boats moored in the lock pounds at Braunston have been issued with notices saying they cannot moor in the lock pounds as thus is against the T&C appendix 20167.i.squelch( not sure which bit it is)

Is this because the Volenforcys cannot walk up the lock flight as well as the rest of Braunston??

Is this because it causes water problems?

There are already 2 boats have official EOG moorings in the flight, will these also not be allowed any more?

Or is it just officialdom gone mad.

The Admiral Nelson will suffer.

As will the Buckby flight gift and icecream shop.

Not sure it was ever in the general T&Cs but certainly recall over the last 40 years that it was always considered unwise to tie up in a flight and never in the thick.

It was down to the man on the ground if you were asked to move.

I understood it to be a combination of water availability, leaky gates, obstruction and of course ending up with more boats in a pound than water that could feed the next lock down should they decide to move off separately.

Ongoing from this I have heard that mooring in the Nelson pound (I take this to be between lock 3 and 4) is permitted since there are already EOG mooring on this pound. I assume a similar situation may apply at Buckby or anywhere else where existing moorings are established even if these are on the O/S.

Although I believe the VLK has the backing of CRT I am surprised that VLK`s are the ones confronting boaters.

This seems to be the continuing new regime of applying all the regulations as written and with little room for common sense to be used. As is so often the case we are blaming the person who confronts us on the towpath, he unfortunately has a superior stood over him insisting that he applies all the regs.

Mmmmm. I came down flight late Thursday. Having been told notices banned mooring till Saturday, show, and the pound below Admiral Nelson was very low with boats at angle we Moore in the Lowe pound above bottom lock.

Friday a volunteer locky said I had to move. Having a rack of clothes out he said he would allow two hours for them to dry. No I'm not kidding. I said if I being dead centre between locks not hindering the lock moorings would be no problem for two hours then there would be no problem for 6 or 8hrs. He said he would have to report to his boss. I said I will pop down to thetoll house and check things out.

While I was gone he came back to the wife and said if we went down we could moor against any boat as they can't stop you accessing the towpath it's your legal right your licence gives you access.

Anyway the enforcement officer at toll house said we can moor there and the other pound for 14 days as there are no restrictions.

We moved down Saturday evening.

they can't stop you accessing the towpath it's your legal right your licence gives you access.

This sounds like someone acting outside their remit.

Ok so if I am moored on the towpath I -may- be happy if someone moors alongside but I may prefer they don't as I may wish to leave shortly without a boat obstruting me..

And does this also mean you can moor alongside a long term moored boat or a hireboat on the towpath side because "your license gives you access"

Sounds too dodgy to me

Well if it the same Voluntary lock keeper who we encountered last year, he was a useless individual. He walked past us without even speaking, let alone offering any assistance. I got the impression he just enjoyed being important, which regrettably he was not.

So what does this mean, is it just someone throwing their weight about because they can. There can not be a blanket rule about not mooring in lock pound (what is the definition of a lock pound any way). What about at Calcutt for example, short but has a hire boat base, share boat base, brokerage base, and wharf in the pound.

On the Rochdale canal, on the final lock flight above Picadilly Village, they didn't just put moorings...they built an entire marina for 40 boats. When someone leaves a paddle up, 40 boats end up almost grounded. At times we've had to go open paddles downstream, because the marina levels are set to overflowing...

We moored on the Fradley visitor moorings last week which are between locks and includes long term moorings. Chatted to the Welcome Centre volunteer and several of the volunteer lock keepers, none of them suggested we shouldn't moor in the pound.

This may be a bit smiley_offtopic.gif but does anyone know how much authority (if any) the new Voluntary lock keepers actually have? Can they actually order people to do things which are unreasonble and inappropriate?

We have met some very knowlegable and helpful volunteers, but unfortunately we have come across an almost equal number of unhelpful ones with little or no understanding or knowledge of canals or boating, most of the authoritarianism seems to have come from this latter group.

In the past the paid lock keepers were god like and their word was disobeyed at your own peril, but they were all drawn from the working boat community. and carried an enourmous amount of experience and knowledge. They were also answerable to area superintendants who also came from the same background.Unfortuanatel almopst all the experienced staff seem to have been made redundant, and one has to ask where does the knowledge and experience come from these days

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

This may be a bit :smiley_offtopic: but does anyone know how much authority (if any) the new Voluntary lock keepers actually have? Can they actually order people to do things which are unreasonble and inappropriate?

We have met some very knowlegable and helpful volunteers, but unfortunately we have come across an almost equal number of unhelpful ones with little or no understanding or knowledge of canals or boating, most of the authoritarianism seems to have come from this latter group.

In the past the paid lock keepers were god like and their word was disobeyed at your own peril, but they were all drawn from the working boat community. and carried an enourmous amount of experience and knowledge. They were also answerable to area superintendants who also came from the same background.Unfortuanatel almopst all the experienced staff seem to have been made redundant, and one has to ask where does the knowledge and experience come from these days

Same here, very variable. Volockies on normal canal locks as far as I am concerned are there to help you if you want then to, nothing more as far as I am concerned, my boat therefore I am in charge. Same goes for employees to be honest as well. The good ones ask if you would like the locks ahead set for you for example.

erm, where else do you moor if it is not between locks?

Perhaps theyw as nt you to moor in locks, it does make you dispare sometimes.

We've sometimes moored overnight in the pound above the bottom lock, when waiting to go into UCC's dry dock the next morning. Would a VLK now insist that we had to continue up the flight, then come down backwards the next morning in order to reverse into the dry dock?