Volunteers Required For Forum/website Testing

Paul C

Featured Posts

Happy to help.

Can let you know how it all works on a Blackberry.

Yes, any attachments will be seen by anyone able to view, including guests (ie those not signed in, ie the world).

But I can't see the thumbnails as images, and when I click on the icon I get a permission error. (But not tried it on the laptop yet).

On iPhone at least only if you use the full site not the mobile skin, see the test forum.

I find the same on my android phone, although it does then work, if with a bit of panning and small finger usage.

One of the main things V4 adds is much more seamless PC/Tablet/Phone integration.

So it will/would be interesting to see how that work with the image uploader.

Daniel

Happy to help.

Can let you know how it all works on a Blackberry.

But I can't see the thumbnails as images, and when I click on the icon I get a permission error. (But not tried it on the laptop yet).

David, this may have been related to a forum permissions error, which I've now tweaked. If I add you into the development members group, it might inadvertently fix it - can you check again and let us know how if they're now viewable? Then I'll add you into the group so you can post attachments yourself etc!

Lady Cassandra

Mike the Boilerman

Richard T

Starcoaster

Little Else

Have been added into the Development Member's group.

David Mack - will do later

Lady Cassandra

Mike the Boilerman

Richard T

Starcoaster

Little Else

Have been added into the Development Member's group.

David Mack - will do later

Unfair!!!!!!!

Seriously, I have looked on the other threads, and I now get the thumbnail images which display at a pretty good size to view as online images on the miniscule Blackberry screen. Clicking on them brings up the full size image. So all is well.

Thanks Paul

Unfair!!!!!!!

Seriously, I have looked on the other threads, and I now get the thumbnail images which display at a pretty good size to view as online images on the miniscule Blackberry screen. Clicking on them brings up the full size image. So all is well.

Thanks Paul

Both Daniel and I have Android smartphones, so testing of stuff on fruit-based mobile devices is tricky and relies upon other members. So, thank you! And I have also just added you into the Development Members group too, so you should be able to post attachments etc now.

Indeed.

Quite sure the i-based fruit with a bit out of one side will not go untested as there are plenty of apple users on the forum, but the berry based devices are less common on the forum so its good to know.

Anyone on a windoze fone?

Daniel

I have now posted an attachment directly from the BB on the "I will go first" thread. Had to use the full version of the site, which is incredibly slow, as I couldn't find a way to do it using the mobile version. But it seems to display OK on the BB using both versions.

Hello

We are looking to ask for the help of a number of our long standing members in "beta" testing of new/upcoming site features. Initially in the pipeline are allowing attachments to be uploaded directly into forum posts, which should make including pictures much quicker and easier. But I imagine there will be future features too. We'd like to try out the new feature with a small number of members who will be able to report back on issues, make constructive suggestions, etc and also it allows us to monitor the extra server load before it goes "fully live" with the many hundreds of active members.

If you'd like to volunteer yourself, please let us know in this thread and I'll add you into the newly created "Development Members" group which have the necessary extra permissions for the role. There's no strict criteria for who can volunteer, but I'd expect members who have been active on the forum a number of months and are in good standing to be the ones interested.

Many thanks!

With my bandwidth limited by my Vodafone contract to 5GB/month I would like to see all inline images limited to a maximum of the old-fashioned (VGA) 640 x 480px.
If I need more detail I should be able to click the original image even if it is larger than my 1366 x 768 laptop screen.

I see no reason why 'IP.Board' refuses to accept current compression algorithms and cannot compress even a large bitmap upload. These facilities are 'built into' Apache Servers with PHP. I suspect that the new server/host will prove my concerns to be unfounded.

Alan

With my bandwidth limited by my Vodafone contract to 5GB/month I would like to see all inline images limited to a maximum of the old-fashioned (VGA) 640 x 480px.

If I need more detail I should be able to click the original image even if it is larger than my 1366 x 768 laptop screen.

I see no reason why 'IP.Board' refuses to accept current compression algorithms and cannot compress even a large bitmap upload. These facilities are 'built into' Apache Servers with PHP. I suspect that the new server/host will prove my concerns to be unfounded.

Alan

All inline images will be thumbnails, the file size of these has been set at 300x300 after checking the typical file sizes of the generated thumbnails. Click thumbnail and the full sized image will display.

Compression is already turned on on the server, in any case most people use .JPG files, which is a compressed file format.