So What To Do Now?

kris88

Featured Posts

It depends on whether you are prepared to be a guinea pig test case or cave in to CRT's bullying.

One thing I'd strongly advise is not to start a battle you are not prepared to take all of the way. If you do chose that option get as much help as you can.

Bullying?? Really??

I can't see anything but reasonable action.

I've been talking to the trust ever since I broke down in this spot. Ive let them know what has been happening ever since.

My intention never was to stay here this long.

The only thing I feel guilty of is maybe underestimating the amount of work involved in getting my boat running again.

So why am I on the naughty step, and having to renew my liscence every 3months under threat of non renewal and should feel grateful for the privlage.

My boat has insurance it has a current safety certificate and will be moving again shortly.

Why am I being made a criminal?

Regards kris

But you haven't been continuous cruising and after 9months, they can't be certain you will. Take the 3months licence and build up some brownie points. The letter seems very clear and fair. When will your engine be working- If its still going to take a while it might be worth taking a home mooring. What ever you do- I would talk to CRT and keep them updated?

I suppose if you really wanted to carry on in your present circumstances then you could change the name of the boat, remove the old index plates and licence. make an application for a new licence and plates for a boat newly registered, oh yes youd have to get a new bss with the new name I guess and inform your insurance co that youve changed the boat name and a use a different address.

Paint the boat black?

then go through it all again in 12 months time.

or you could get a home mooring

or go boating

Bullying?? Really??

I can't see anything but reasonable action.

What harm is Kris doing? Do you really think CRT's threats are in keeping with with what Kris is doing? I don't think so.

Maybe CRT should be more prepared to make contact with Kris to discuss his situation before steaming in with threats. Isn't that the best way to deal with a customer?

Kriss I have helped a number of boaters that have had these 3 month warning letters. Some we have been able to clear up any miss understandings on sightings, but from what I have read in your case my advise would be pay the 3 months and move. I am sure plenty would be happy to give you a tow if you can not move boat under its own power

What harm is Kris doing? Do you really think CRT's threats are in keeping with with what Kris is doing? I don't think so.

Maybe CRT should be more prepared to make contact with Kris to discuss his situation before steaming in with threats. Isn't that the best way to deal with a customer?

I think they're well aware of his situation. The issue isn't communication. The issue is that they disagree on what is a reasonable time to stay in one place, once a boat has broken down.

Sorry but I think Kriss needs to move from what I know and what he has posted on here he is not within the 1995 Act

if I am wrong I apologise to Kriss

He said he has been in consultation with CRT 9 months and no further on should they wait 9 years then ?

And just how long do you think they should wait for someone to fix their engine. Many more months, years, decades even?

Sorry but I think Kriss needs to move from what I know and what he has posted on here he is not within the 1995 Act

if I am wrong I apologise to Kriss

Hmm, well I suppose in the end we have to search our own conscience and decide whether to hold our hands up and move on...or not.

I thought Kris had invited them up to see the situation for themselves. The letter he received is clearly a standard letter produced behind a computer desk by someone who probably has no idea of all of Kris's circumstances.

As a boating community we should support those trying to renevate a boat, especially a historic boat. CRT should also act on that spirit. Or are we saying Kris is just a P taker and that's an end to it?

That's a long time to wait for a part. Is it a particularly odd engine? If you still can't move, I'm sure you could hitch a lift from a passing boat every now and then to keep moving.

ISTR from the previous thread on this that it's actually a very common engine (Beta 43?) and I'm not surprised that CRT have taken this action.

Kriss just can't seem to accept that the world is the shape it is and that he needs to move if he wants to keep his boat.

Hmm, well I suppose in the end we have to search our own conscience and decide whether to hold our hands up and move on...or not.

I thought Kris had invited them up to see the situation for themselves. The letter he received is clearly a standard letter produced behind a computer desk by someone who probably has no idea of all of Kris's circumstances.

As a boating community we should support those trying to renevate a boat, especially a historic boat. CRT should also act on that spirit. Or are we saying Kris is just a P taker and that's an end to it?

No I am simply saying that based on what I know Kriss should move. I am not into all this labelling of people as P takers or not. I lobby for fair and consistent interpretation of the Laws and sorry but in this case I think he needs to move.

Done for you

Thank you

I believe in the last post there were several offers of help. Did any of those get taken up?

Does that matter? Kriss is now under pressure and needs to move IMO

No I am simply saying that based on what I know Kriss should move. I am not into all this labelling of people as P takers or not. I lobby for fair and consistent interpretation of the Laws and sorry but in this case I think he needs to move.

Thank you

Does that matter? Kriss is now under pressure and needs to move IMO

I 100% agree he has to move. (I suppose there had to be a time we both agreed on something!)

I was just pointing out that there is little point applauding someone for offering help when there have been previous offers made and as far as anyone can tell ignored, otherwise Kris wouldn't be in this situation he is in now.

• Greenie 1

Kris may well not be doing any 'harm' but quite possibly nine months to obtain a spare part in this age of next day delivery might be regarded by CRT as a lame excuse for not complying with the conditions of his licence.

I don't see anything in CRTs letter which could remotely be regarded as 'bullying' or 'steaming in with threats', on the contrary, I think it is very fair.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that Kris isn't taking the piss and hasn't been able to get the boat moving again because of a lack of parts/cash etc. I'm also perfectly happy to accept that this means that the pressure he's under from CRT is unjust.

But. There's always a but. I also don't see what else CRT could do in this case. A less amenable organisation might well have already removed his licence and started section 8 for lack of movement. If they were to leave him be until he's fixed, what time limit could be put on this? Do CRT have the resources to come to every boat suffering a breakdown like this with someone in Kris's situation (I'm assuming lack of cash, correct me if I'm wrong) and confirm the issue? If not then letting Kris continue to stay is basically giving a green light to a less than creative way of taking the piss and never moving.

That said, it wouldn't bother me if they did do that, it's not going to happen.

tl;dr I think you're going to have to move somehow or find a mooring. What area of the country are you in currently?

ISTR from the previous thread on this that it's actually a very common engine (Beta 43?) and I'm not surprised that CRT have taken this action.

Kriss just can't seem to accept that the world is the shape it is and that he needs to move if he wants to keep his boat.

If this is correct how can it take 9 months to get a part for a Beta.

Kris be honest what is the problem.

Edited by valrene9600

I respect the fact you know more about this than me, fair enough. I still think it's bullying though. I hope he can get sorted with the kind offers of help.

I respect the fact you know more about this than me, fair enough. I still think it's bullying though. I hope he can get sorted with the kind offers of help.

Why do you believe that CRT are bullying Kris?

What in your opinion have they done that constitutes bullying?

Nothing like bullying, Kriss has had ample opportunity to fix his fairly bog standard engine, CRT have bent over backwards to be obliging and Kriss has had shed loads of offers of help. He chose to stay put and now seems surprised when the situation rears up to bite him on the bum.

Kriss knew this letter was coming.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose
  • Greenie 2

I've been talking to the trust ever since I broke down in this spot. Ive let them know what has been happening ever since.

My intention never was to stay here this long.

The only thing I feel guilty of is maybe underestimating the amount of work involved in getting my boat running again.

So why am I on the naughty step, and having to renew my liscence every 3months under threat of non renewal and should feel grateful for the privlage.

My boat has insurance it has a current safety certificate and will be moving again shortly.

Why am I being made a criminal?

Regards kris

Don't be bloody ridiculous. Feel proud that you are the first person to unite this forum.

You are not being made a criminal (you are making yourself a prima donna). You have been given sn ultimatum. Fair enough in my opinion. Two options 1. Want to carry on fixing your boat in one spot without the hassle of moving - get a mooring. 2. Don't want to stay in one spot - start moving.

If, after three months, you have moved a distance every two weeks or less and CRT still say you haven't moved enough then consider whether you are hard done by.

At the moment they are treating you fairly, you have to make some effort too.

Why the hell you are grandstanding on this I don't know.

Consequently you might want to consider towing the line, thus avoiding having to ask us (who do cough up) how you can continue extracting the urine.

Don't be so nasty. He is not depriving you of any money.