Backwards Boat Going Forwards, Indus Too

IanR

Featured Posts

Is that one of those fairly recent 'colourised' pictures? The inside of the handrail looks blue too, but the green pigeon box!!????

Confused.com!! Looking at some period pictures, the variation is incredible.

Ian.

On 8/7/2015 at 23:55, AMModels said:

I love Rustons, we had a 3 cylinder Ruston Hornsby with the same square top to the engine, painted bright blue and made such a lovely noise. No electric start, huge brass flywheel, the compression levers on top and a raw water cooling system that was a pain in the backside to keep going. Loved it.

Can I ask was the flywheel Brass ? I would have thought either iron or steel with maybe a brass cover to guard against getting body parts mixed up with it when it's spinning, the reason I ask is I wouldn't have thought brass would have been heavy enough

On 9/26/2017 at 08:35, Ray T said:

Were these rails red and now faded or natural wood?

22045764_883302968489680_3860788808818858897_n.jpg

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

Which motor is this? Big Woolwich?

Yes, I'd love to know which boat.

And, more particularly, the circumstances of what appears to be a pairing with a Barlows boat.

EDIT:

Just found this web page, owned by a forum member.

The boat therefore seems to be "Small Woolwich" "Star" Capricorn.

The circumstances of its being with a Barlows boat are not I think mentioned.

Edited by alan_fincher

2 minutes ago, IanM said:

The Small Woolwich Hyperion was sold to Barlows wasn't it?

Edited to add: HNBC website seems to agree http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/hyperion

Yes, I thought it was a "Star", but the amendment I have made above seems to say it is Capricorn.

Yes this is my boat Capricorn.  I don't have my notes to hand but understand from Pete H that it was hired to SE Barlow as a change boat for a couple of trips after the end of the war.  It had been used as a women's training boat during the war and obviously had a hard life with minimal maintenance.  What maintenance there was was likely to be make do and mend hence the blue roof.  This was likely to be the last load to be carried by Capricorn as it went on to maintenance soon after until sold off in 1964.

The boat lurking in the background incidentally is Friendship.

Paul

• 8 months later...

Finally had the time and weather to finish the writing on the cabin. The last docking date I haven't done (perhaps yet) but I've also noticed the letters S. W. on some GU boats of the period, just ahead of the dock date. Anyone know what this relates to? South West, Southern Waters??? It is amazing the variations in the writing on GU boats, some with full stops, some without, some with Reg and some with Regd, Registered.... Square full stops, round full stops... Fascinating.

Ian.

writing.jpg

writing3.jpg

writing1.jpg

writing2.jpg

Edited by IanR
  • Greenie 2

54 minutes ago, IanR said:

Finally had the time and weather to finish the writing on the cabin. The last docking date I haven't done (perhaps yet) but I've also noticed the letters S. W. on some GU boats of the period, just ahead of the dock date. Anyone know what this relates to? South West, Southern Waters??? It is amazing the variations in the writing on GU boats, some with full stops, some without, some with Reg and some with Regd, Registered.... Square full stops, round full stops... Fascinating.

Ian.

writing.jpg

writing3.jpg

writing1.jpg

writing2.jpg

So what you are saying is that whatever you do someone can find evidence that you are wrong... my professional life was so full of that... 

reminds me of 1985 at the boat museum with the Thaxted, this bloke walked the full length of the boat twice completely ignoring me, i was mopping off. As he walked away he shook his head and muttered ‘wrong size rivets!!’ I nearly fell off the boat laughing.

british racing green ,wooden cabin scumbled roof wrong engine. The only correct bit was the hull and engine room.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, IanR said:

Ian.

Lovely job Ian.

On 26/09/2017 at 15:51, X Alan W said:

Can I ask was the flywheel Brass ? I would have thought either iron or steel with maybe a brass cover to guard against getting body parts mixed up with it when it's spinning, the reason I ask is I wouldn't have thought brass would have been heavy enough

So sorry I missed this question first time round Alan, as far as I remembered it was aged brass coloured. There was no guard on it at all, something to give me nightmares these days but thought nothing of it as a 8/9 year old wandering round the running engine. It was a 3VSH but the hand start had been moved to the same end as the flywheel so the gear box could be fitted to the other end, this video suggests my memory was wrong and it was polished steel however.

Same engine but ours had the fuel tank on the engine room wall and the rad was replaced with raw water cooling. Lovely sound.

On 27/09/2017 at 22:37, roland elsdon said:

That's what real working boats looked like ..( apart from the dead body) I will stop painting and brass polishing forthwith, buy a red coat and rent a small dog.

Range "chibley" bands look like they've been kept up, got to agree about the rest of the boat wearing it's obligatory "grass skirt" stern fenders

On 06/06/2018 at 20:41, IanR said:

Ian.

The letters S.W. alongside the docking date are not unique, L.N. being another common application - and there are others too. It is my understanding that these are the initials of the person that did the lettering, but I have no evidence of this :captain: 

• Greenie 1