Backwards Boat Going Forwards, Indus Too

IanR

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A porthole in the engine 'ole. That's rather unusual isn't it? 

Or have I just not been paying attention?

And they let you drive, don't they?

(It would be highly unusual not to have a porthole there!)

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Porthole on the starboard side quite normal.

Porthole on the port side is equal normal, (on a GUCCCo boat at least).  I can't think of one that doesm't have both.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

None of my boats has a porthole there....

Buy yourself a nice 'udson!

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A porthole in the engine 'ole. That's rather unusual isn't it? 

Or have I just not been paying attention?

You’ve just not been paying attention Mike, a majority of them have them.

Edited to add: Beaten to it by a long way, missed the extra page!

Edited by IanM
Because idiot

22 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Eyes wide shut?

Though some (all?) Josher's had no back cabin porthole, and a few had one behind the stove pipe.

Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. did not fit portholes to any of their narrow boats, although some of those that they bought in second hand may have had them. 'British Waterways' carried out an ongoing modernisation programme for the former F.M.C. Ltd. boats that were a part of its carrying fleet including the fitting of portholes in some cabins, but not motor engine rooms, as well as the fitting of electrics in both motors and buttys.

All new Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats had a cabin porthole, and every new motor had a porthole on each side of the engine room (excluding some of the wooden protoype's). All G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boat were fitted with electrics from new, and every new motor had a cold start engine - all contributing to these boats being the 'Rolls Royce' of narrow boats in their day.

Other carriers were a bit of a mixture, very much dependant on where boats were built and whether they were pre or post the building of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boat fleet :captain:

Sorry for more pics of the same sort of thing but the paintwork is now virtually done, we're well chuffed with how it has transformed the boat into something that finally looks looked after!! Had to turn it round to do the third coat of blue on tuther side so got some pics to see the cabin from afar as it were, as I've only had a towpath view of it's new paint so far. Not shown in these pics is the start of the rams head painting, just for Pete! Just like to say many thanks to all those who offered advice and tips for a novice painter, very much appreciated indeed.

Ian.

paintwork4.jpg

paintwork1.jpg

paintwork2.jpg

paintwork3.jpg

paintwork.jpg

On 24/09/2017 at 21:58, pete harrison said:

This is the best I have ever seen this boat, so yes you should be proud of your efforts.

I assume you are going to add the health registration and gauge details, as well as painting the handrails red (including the visible ends) :captain:

Bound to have been planning to do exactly this Pete. 

You probably needn't have mentioned it! 

I'm curious about how exactly to add the gauge and health registration details. Could you elaborate on how (for my benefit only obviously), please Pete? Many thanks...

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bound to have been planning to do exactly this Pete. 

You probably needn't have mentioned it! 

I'm curious about how exactly to add the gauge and health registration details. Could you elaborate on how (for my benefit only obviously), please Pete? Many thanks...

Yes I realise now that I should not have mentioned this as there is a parallel thread running where the owner states this is yet to be done.

It was a requirement of the Canal Boat Act of 1877 that any boat used as a dwelling must be inspected and approved as a habitable space, and that the Inspector would measure the internals of the cabin to determine by calculation how many people could be accommodated. On approval a numbered certificate would be issued to the owner of the boat, and a requirement of the Act was that the registering town and certificate number be written in white letters on a black backgound - although the black background was flaunted somewhat. All Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats complied with the white lettering on a black background, and in the case of INDUS should read Reg. at Brentford No. 509 - but Registered at Brentford No. 509 would be equally satisfactory. As far as this G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. livery is concerned the black background is centred between the red of the handrail and the white stripe and is located using the centre line of the length of the back cabin (not including the engine room).

Every boat that traded on the Grand Junction / Grand Union Canals paid a toll on the basis of how much tonnage they were carrying. This required each boat to go into a gauge dock where calibrated weights were placed into the hold with the dry side (freeboard) recorded on a numbered table after each addition of 4 tons. Once completed this table of gauging would be distributed to each of the Toll Stops where the clerk would read the number from a metal plate on the boat and compare it to the gauge table of the same number. Each boat was issued with five metal gauge plates that were stamped with the number on the corresponding gauge table, but as these became lost or damaged it became common practice to also paint this number on the cabin. As far as this G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. livery is concerned the gauge number is centred between the red of the handrail and the white stripe and is located with the first letter directly in line with the cabin chimney, and in the case of INDUS should read G.U. 12388. Not all G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats painted in this livery were lettered with their gauge number.

I hope this answers your question, or have I got the wrong end of the stick :captain:

edit = it was also quite common to see a date lettered onto the cabin, and this was the date of the boats last docking. As far as this G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. livery is concerned the docking date is centred between the red of the handrail and the white stripe at about the point where the back cabin and engine room joint is, but on the back cabin section - and in the case of INDUS should now read 9/17.

Edited by pete harrison

I, likewise, am not qualified to comment on the authenticity of the livery, but I can say that it looks exceedingly neat and smart and is a credit to its painter.

I have a distant memory of Indus attending Cropredy Festival as a trading boat, some 10 or 12 years ago. Would this have been the same Indus?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I have a distant memory of Indus attending Cropredy Festival as a trading boat, some 10 or 12 years ago. Would this have been the same Indus?

Could well be Athy, both end of 'Indus' were turned into working motor boats and worked along with butty Pictor for a while as Southern Region Carriers. I think the 'other' Indus was worked more though but I have a picture somewhere of both Indus' (Indii ??) together in working trim. 'Tuther one has a Celtic themed livery presently.

Thanks for the kind words folks, much appreciated but I dare say things always look better in photographs! And thanks Mike for asking the question about the Regd. and Gauging number lettering, saved me asking as I was just going to copy the layouts from the period pics I've found.

Pete, when you say red handrails, you mean the cabin side colour? Out with the brush again!! Just painted them buggers blue too!! I've also just sent you a grovelling message to see how much more info you have on this boat!

Cheers again, Ian.

1 hour ago, IanR said:

Pete, when you say red handrails, you mean the cabin side colour? 

Cheers again, Ian.

Correct.

Bare in mind that this was an 'austerity' type of livery so there would only be one shade of each colour, and no decoration on the slides, pigeon box or running gear :captain:

1 hour ago, IanR said:

I've also just sent you a grovelling message to see how much more info you have on this boat!

Cheers again, Ian.

Grovelling is not required, but patience probably is as I am a busy man nowadays :captain:

On 9/24/2017 at 21:58, pete harrison said:

This is the best I have ever seen this boat, so yes you should be proud of your efforts.

I assume you are going to add the health registration and gauge details, as well as painting the handrails red (including the visible ends) :captain:

Were these rails red and now faded or natural wood?

22045764_883302968489680_3860788808818858897_n.jpg