leaking fuel pump

Featured Posts

I have a Hardi 14412 type demand fuel pump feeding my Morso. The pump has developed a leak from one or both of the bingo unions. Is there a fix for this otherwise functioning unit, or is it a £70 replacement job?

A good engineering supplier but take a banjo bolt to ensure you get the right size. Could be imperial or metric. I got a couple from Union Canal Cruisers in Braunston. Unless they have an extensive engineering department attached a normal chandler is not so ;likely to have them.

Make sure there are no burs on the banjo bolt and pump faces. New copper washers might work if the old ones have work hardened but again make sure they are the correct size.

Well, I have tried motor factors, hydraulic suppliers, general engineering places in Droitwich and Worcester all to no avail (3 1/2 hrs wasted!). Looked on line at the Hardi site, eBay etc again to no avail. Currently the 2 washers are sitting in boiling water to see if that might restore some depth and sealing properties. It is quite frustrating that 2 x 20p washers seem so difficult to find, had several offers to sell me a new £70 pump!!

Richard, I had every intention of mic'ing them up, but enthusiasm got the better of me. I replaced them upside down having boiled them. Early indications suggest that it has worked! No diesel weeping through, so that'll do for me until next time.

• 9 months later...

I think I need to update this! The 'boiled' washers didn't work but the free replacements I received from the manufacturer (in Germany) worked a treat! They also appear to be of a different material.