Restored Dutch Push Tugs Adventure

matty40s

Featured Posts

Spotted yesterday, these two gorgeous restored push tugs.

20150604_202931_zpsptft5akj.jpg

Powered by single cylinder Sabbs, they used to push large barges in Holland, now they have been trucked over for 6 weeks for a cruise round the Southern waterways.

The two Dutch chaps are going up to Birmingham via Tamworth and then down the South Oxford, up to Lechlade and back to London, maybe taking in the Wey as well.

20150604_202916_zpsxfq0dbro.jpg

Edited by matty40s

We saw those on the Grand Union between Bulbourne and Cowroast on Tuesday morning.

Beautiful fascinating boats.

I wondered if they were the same as those that were the subject of a thread on here a few weeks ago...Opdewar or something if I remember rightly. Op(something) certainly

They're called "Opduwer"

If the Dutch guys who own them call them Push Tugs, and the information sheets they give out say push tugs, then I am not going to try to embarass myself pronouncing something else.biggrin.png

Edited by matty40s

I'll keep an eye for them passing us on the Coventry.

I believe the engines will be Sabb marine engines, not automotive (or even aeronautical Saab engines).

See link to supplier in UKhttp://www.sleeman-hawken.co.uk/suppliers/sabb.html

Edited to change a space masquerading as a letter n.

Edited by cuthound

There have been a couple of previous threads about opduwers. One last year "Howdy from Missouri USA" which was the first time I had come across them but using search I found an even older thread started by Bazza2 in 2012 ........Quite a lot if yous stick "opduwer" into search

If someone has the proper skills, or reckons they can learn them, I've got a set of plans (line plans, not construction drawings) for a tug of similar style to the one against the bank. Also a couple of books on 'lofting', though I believe there may be software available now to do the job.

Also a 12 bhp Sabb SEMI-diesel engine, arranged for a variable pitch prop, and a couple of different Sabb props, no idea whether either of them is anywhere near right for the engine.Could always be fitted with a gearbox, of course.

I had ideas of building this up in my dotage, but really need to concentrate on the lovely little tug I already have, so I'm offering it as a project. Main value is in the engine, of course.

Tim

There have been a couple of previous threads about opduwers. One last year "Howdy from Missouri USA" which was the first time I had come across them but using search I found an even older thread started by Bazza2 in 2012 ........Quite a lot if yous stick "opduwer" into search

Really? Me? Gosh!

I'll have to see if I can find that then. I seem to have an affinity for these lovely little boats.

Ummm...could you post a link to the the thread you found?

Edited by Bazza2

Here is a video of a very pretty Dutch Pusher Tug, she has lovely lines and seems to go beautifully through the water.

The sound of her twin Lister CS 12-2 is rather nice too.

Peter.

DAMMIT!!!!! I cant work out how to do a bl@@dy link sorry....rant over.........Sorry Bazza2 it wasn't one you started it was one that bargemast started you were the last poster......blush.png whoops !!!

edit......"A very pretty small Dutch pusher tug" found it by searching opduwer in forums

Edited by John V