Cyclist injures pedestrian

Featured Posts

I hope that CRT are made aware of this and maybe then they will put more barriers up with the money from sustrans instead of making towpaths speed tracks.

Barriers were positioned along the Wigan towpaths many years ago to stop motorcyclists. These barriers are now left open all the time and with hindsight should be brought back in to use and kept locked to slow cyclists down.

Steve

I see everyone is assuming it is the fault of the cyclist...

Seems reasonable. Assuming that 76 year old Lancs pensioners are not in the habit of leaping in front of speeding cyclists ( a big assumtion I realise) how could it be otherwise?

I think that "pensioner loses 4 teeth in frenzied attack on cyclist" is the less likely scenario.

indeed...Which is why I wouldn't suggest it.

Seems reasonable. Assuming that 76 year old Lancs pensioners are not in the habit of leaping in front of speeding cyclists ( a big assumtion I realise) how could it be otherwise?

Leaping in front of the cyclist is not the only scenario that would result in the pensioner being at fault. Stepping, stumbling, staggering or falling in front of the cyclist are other options that spring to mind. We also don't know that the cyclist was speeding or acting irresponsibly, pensioners are notoriously easy to knock over. Only one side of the story is presented in the article so I guess we'll never find out.

I both walk and cycle on towpaths (not at the same time) and can see both arguments. Must say as a deaf towpath walker I have had some close calls with cyclists speeding up behind me. I still argue that most cyclists are sensible, and like many things in life, we only remember the aholes.

I read that as a bit like beeping your horn but carrying on and having a crash anyway.....'But I beeped my horn officer'

I can think of several possible scenarios where that would be a reasonable thing to say. The horn is there to alert people to your presence (as is the cycle bell). If you are passing someone and you are not sure they have seen you you might beep/ring to alert them to your presence. If that person then ignores your warning and turns into your path you might not be able to avoid them.

I can think of several possible scenarios where that would be a reasonable thing to say. The horn is there to alert people to your presence (as is the cycle bell). If you are passing someone and you are not sure they have seen you you might beep/ring to alert them to your presence. If that person then ignores your warning and turns into your path you might not be able to avoid them.

If you are not sure the person hasn't heard you, you should come to a complete stop or pass (if possible on a narrow towpath) with a sufficiently wide berth that you don't make physical contact.

If an accident like that occurred on the road and it was a car it would not be sufficient to say 'I beeped my horn, but I didn't think he heard me so I ran him over anyway'.

Edited by MJG

If he was a 76 year pensioner it is quite possible that he couldn't hear the bell, especially if the cyclist was approaching from behind.

Yes.

Leaping in front of the cyclist is not the only scenario that would result in the pensioner being at fault. Stepping, stumbling, staggering or falling in front of the cyclist are other options that spring to mind. We also don't know that the cyclist was speeding or acting irresponsibly, pensioners are notoriously easy to knock over. Only one side of the story is presented in the article so I guess we'll never find out.

But if you are a cyclist on a pathway predominantly used by pedestrians, and in my experience towpaths are used by more pedestrians than cyclists, you should take care that you do not injure anyone. Passing elderly or frail people give them a wide berth, or hang back until you can do so.

It is quite possible that the law might well take a different view should it ever come to court. Their honors do seem to be taking odd positions lately.

The letting down of tyres should be made compulsory before cyclists enter upon towpaths, especially those horrid mountain bikes with 701 gears whose riders resemble huge and terrifying flying insects what with their skinny legs whirling round clad in Eval Kaneval licra suits emblazoned with go faster flames and stripes and wearing weird streamlined crash helmets and blue or orange coloured chrome wrap around sunglasses. They do look a sight which could easily give young children horrific nightmares or even daymares in serious cases. Special posts should be erected with a nail dangled on a string at every towpath entry point which should be used to poke the tyre valves to let all the wind out. A sentry box could be erected there too containing a big ugly bloke brandishing a pickaxe to enforce the law. closedeyes.gif

If the warning was ignored because they were deaf then surely a responsible cyclist would take great care and not continue past the pedestrian in a manner likely to cause injury. Would that be the same when a speeding cyclist is hurtling towards me just as I step off my boat with a long shaft that goes straight through their wheel and sends them flying. I would have assumed that they saw me and knew I was about to step off the boat.

Would that be the same when a speeding cyclist is hurtling towards me just as I step off my boat with a long shaft that goes straight through their wheel and sends them flying.

Couls you make sure that someone with a camera is in attendance before you do so?

Couls you make sure that someone with a camera is in attendance before you do so?

And a microphone to record my warning of about to step ashore to make sure the cyclist doesn't sue me.

I wish I had had my camera to hand a couple of weeks ago when I was going up the Wigan flight. This idiot (the politest word I could use) was racing up and down on a small motor bike, No helmet or care for anyone on the tow path. Showing off to a couple of young girls. Started doing wheelies then it went wrong and the bike shot out from between his legs. He held onto it, just, and it spun around him then hit the floor, the engine stopped but his clutch lever had broken off.

He got back on, laughing as if it was what he intended to do, and started the engine again, because the clutch now didnt work it shot out from between his legs again, nearly ran the 2 girls over, he was hanging on for dear life and it was spinning him around trying (well I hoped it was) to throw its self into the lock. Luckily the engine stalled and he slopped off along the tow path pushing his wreck home. icecream.gif

As for cyclists. I'm high tone deaf and so I don't hear bike bells. So if a bell is rang, it cant be assumed that a pedestrian will hear it.

• Greenie 1