South Oxford single handed - lift bridges?

Supertramp

Featured Posts

Im heading south from Braunston on the Oxford canal next month, as part of the Thames Ring.

For part of the journey I will be single handed, and have heard that some of the bridges on this section are 'difficult' for single handers.

Are there any specific problem areas I should watch out for, or is it perfectly feasible to complete it easily single handed?

Perfectly simple, Many of this parish do it, all the time. wink.png

A lot of them are now fixed open, those not can be done with care (of course) with the aid of a long shaft

so I'm told.

Many of the bridges are left in the raised position and the one at Thrupp is electrically operated from either side of the bridge using a CRT key.

The aluminium bridge at Lower Heyford (bridge 205) I have found is a bit heavy, but quite manageable using a boathook (or Banbury stick) to prop open from the towing path side.

I am sure others who single hand regularly on that section will be along to better advise.

Ken

The only one that may give problems is at Lower Heyford. I have been through it many times single-handed and not once have I had to do it myself, there has always been another boat coming along or walkers who have been willing to help.

Thanks guys, that's helped ease my concerns. I had heard it was difficult to moor the boat at a few to either open or close after as you sometimes had to be on the opposite side to the towpath, but perhaps things have improved.

It's my 'home' canal, I'm 68, my doctor tells me I'm overweight, I've got 'dodgy knees and no head for heights, I single hand on it no problem!. You just need to take your time and think about things. Anyway, as others have said there's nearly always someone around to give a hand. If not, just put the kettle on and wait. On the Thames I've always found the lock keepers most helpful, especially when you tell them you're single handed.

Enjoy your trip

Frank

I was taught how to use a Banbury Stick more than 40 years ago, if you search "Banbury Stick" you will find a couple of detailed explanations on how to use one, which I posted several years ago. I used to carry one when single handing as it saves a lot of time, but these days it's use is frowned upon by BW/CaRT because of the alleged damage it does to the bridge.

Edited to add:- Was that David Blagrove giving the instruction on the video? it certaily looked and sounded like him, but the hat is quite a good disguise.

Edited by David Schweizer

Naughty Cal of this parish has the definitive manual on swing bridges!

Except there is only one swing bridge on the S Oxford and that is in Oxford and is permanently open and use to carry the railway, There is one on the N Oxford at Rose Narrowboats.

I was taught how to use a Banbury Stick more than 40 years ago, if you search "Banbury Stick" you will find a couple of detailed explanations on how to use one, which I posted several years ago. I used to carry one when single handing as it saves a lot of time, but these days it's use is frowned upon by BW/CaRT because of the alleged damage it does to the bridge.

Edited to add:- Was that David Blagrove giving the instruction on the video? it certaily looked and sounded like him, but the hat is quite a good disguise.

You don't need to use it in the "Traditional" way and pull it out with a line, you can walk back and lower it properly. Today you still have to go back to get your key out of some of them anyway.

Except there is only one swing bridge on the S Oxford and that is in Oxford and is permanently open and use to carry the railway, There is one on the N Oxford at Rose Narrowboats.

You don't need to use it in the "Traditional" way and pull it out with a line, you can walk back and lower it properly. Today you still have to go back to get your key out of some of them anyway.

I am not sure the lecture was neccessary. If you had read my post correctly, you would have noticed the phrase " I used to carry one....." which would suggest that as I no longer have a Banbury Stick, I no longer practice the "Traditional" method.

I am not sure the lecture was neccessary. If you had read my post correctly, you would have noticed the phrase " I used to carry one....." which would suggest that as I no longer have a Banbury Stick, I no longer practice the "Traditional" method.

It wasn't a lecture you and I am sorry you read it that way, yes I did read your post, but when we talk of Banbury Sticks there are people out there who will try it and if they read the way it use to be done then yes they will further weaken what is now a not so well maintained system.

It wasn't a lecture you and I am sorry you read it that way, yes I did read your post, but when we talk of Banbury Sticks there are people out there who will try it and if they read the way it use to be done then yes they will further weaken what is now a not so well maintained system.

Fair enough, I obviously took your comments too personally. Having said that, from recollection there are now only three lift bridges on the Oxford whioch are routinely left closed, Thrupp which is electrically operated, Banbury where there are always plenty of peiople to hlep and Heyford which is an aluminium bridge and should not suffer much from the Banbury Stick method, but it dose make an horrendous noise if dropped.

Fair enough, I obviously took your comments too personally. Having said that, from recollection there are now only three lift bridges on the Oxford whioch are routinely left closed, Thrupp which is electrically operated, Banbury where there are always plenty of peiople to hlep and Heyford which is an aluminium bridge and should not suffer much from the Banbury Stick method, but it dose make an horrendous noise if dropped.

Even Banbury is a windy job now

from recollection there are now only three lift bridges on the Oxford whioch are routinely left closed, Thrupp which is electrically operated, Banbury where there are always plenty of peiople to hlep and Heyford which is an aluminium bridge and should not suffer much from the Banbury Stick method, but it dose make an horrendous noise if dropped.

I seem to remember that CRT were going to make the Heyford bridge (205) powered like the one at Thrupp. I guess that hasn't happened yet?

The one at Lower Heyford can be held open using an ordinary cabin shaft (boat hook), so I understand.

I've tried to do this on many occasions but never succeeded, as every time I try it, someone comes along and helpfully offers to sit on the balance beam and hold it open. It seems terribly churlish to decline so I've yet to find out if the cabin shaft works.

(Or maybe its upper Heyford. The horrid aluminium one anyway.)

I did Oxford last year single handed. 99% of the time smile and tell the Lockie you are single handed and just needed a minute or two more. I can remember 1 or 2 a bit quick off the mark but I didn't take it to be deliberate.

Yeah, but u used to - and that's why all the lift bridges are broken ;) "I no longer have a Banbury Stick" (evidence disposed of)

Having said that, from recollection there are now only three lift bridges on the Oxford whioch are routinely left closed, Thrupp which is electrically operated, Banbury where there are always plenty of peiople to hlep and Heyford which is an aluminium bridge and should not suffer much from the Banbury Stick method, but it dose make an horrendous noise if dropped.

There are 2 or 3 more near Oxford, one just above Dukes Lock, and the others are between Dukes Cut and Wolvercote lock (so you can avoid them by using Dukes Cut). These are all locked in the closed position, and require a CRT key to open them. They appear to be counterbalanced so that they can be operated from the tow path side, and stay open by themselves without need of a stick.

Thanks - it's all helpful info.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that some Thames lockies want a front and rear line tied off in locks, isn't that a bit awkward single handed?

An alternative

• when going downhill I tend to use a LONG line (20 feet or so) at the bow and tie that to a bollard, and then control the stern yourself. This works well going downhill - max drop is about 8 feet

• Going uphill I tend to fix the stern line to a bollard say 10 feet behind the boat, and control the boat with the bow line. The tricky ones are those (eg Sandford) which fill from the bottom not through the top gates, as the flow can pull the boat away from the wall quite strongly - a centre line is not adequate in this situation.

In both cases you are on the bank not on the boat.