Strange Dutch Barge

Titus

Featured Posts

"Boat is designed for very tall People. Over 2M high."

-yeah, just watch out for the bridge at Aynho Wharf!

I made an offer! 50p

It's got everything, but I couldn't spot the twin car garage in the list of luxuries. Does it come with unwanted Maseratis?

Edited by Emerald Fox

I've just found this boat for sale on ebay, I'm sorry but I just don't like it (or the price) what does anyone else think ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45-ft-Luxury-Canal-Narrow-Boat-Designed-as-Dutch-Barge-New-Build-2015-House-Boat-/121657335886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c5357a04e

If I could see a picture of that boat, I could probably tell you if she's a dutch barge and what sort of type, but by clicking on the link I only get the following :

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Peter.

If I could see a picture of that boat, I could probably tell you if she's a dutch barge and what sort of type,

Peter, I can see the picture - it is labelled 45 ft Luxury Canal Narrow Boat Designed as Dutch Barge New Build 2015 House Boat. Unfortunately there are several words and phrases there that leave the advertiser liable to claims of misrepresentation, not least "luxury" and "Dutch Barge". I'm not sure that 'designed' stands up to scrutiny either. I assume the poster EAST EUROPEAN LADY has something to do with it, but I'm afraid it suffers rather more than just not speaking very good English.

Tam

If I could see a picture of that boat, I could probably tell you if she's a dutch barge and what sort of type, but by clicking on the link I only get the following :

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Peter.

Peter

Can you see this beautiful craft?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQ4WDg2NA==/z/8skAAOSwstxVXYlt/$_57.JPG

Tim

It seems like racism

Yes, you clever eastern European people coming and targeting the stupid English with your scams IS racism.

People from your own country are too smart to fall for them. Racism indeed.

Yes, you clever eastern European people coming and targeting the stupid English with your scams IS racism.

People from your own country are too smart to fall for them. Racism indeed.

There's probably plenty of stupid English people who would part with that kind of money for that boat. (un?)fortunately none of them have that kind of money.

There's probably plenty of stupid English people who would part with that kind of money for that boat. (un?)fortunately none of them have that kind of money.

Or they won't have once they get sucked in by the lovely EEL!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Or they won't have once they get sucked in by the lovely EEL!

... whoever he might be in real life. Those seem to me to be deliberate mis-spellings by someone perfectly well acquainted with English how she is spoke and writ.

Tam

... whoever he might be in real life. Those seem to me to be deliberate mis-spellings by someone perfectly well acquainted with English how she is spoke and writ.

Tam

V perceptive.

I'm inclined to agree. Whoever he is, she is nobody's fool.

A fool and his money are soon parted, someone famous once observed, innit.

V perceptive.

I'm inclined to agree. Whoever he is, she is nobody's fool.

A fool and his money are soon parted, someone famous once observed, innit.

Tusser.

To me the wording of the advert sounds like what you'd get if someone Polish who's half-learned English translates their thoughts into English. Well done them for making the effort, but as usual when translating into a foreign language, it really would have been wise to get a native speaker to edit the resulting text.

The basic story, that some people who'd worked as shipbuilders in Gdansk decided to come to England to use their steelwork skills to build then sell a narrow boat, might actually be true?. Maybe not a bad business model that far, but they appear not to have put enough effort into market research? The bow looks like the sort of shape that someone from a marine background might come up with.

The windows are hardly "panoramic", and on both boats they seem to have just bunged in whatever windows someone had thrown in a skip? The front window on the other boat they advertised looks like a house window fixed sideways on!

As far as I can see, while I may be wrong, it is exactly as you say, a legitimate narrowboat and sale of probably fairly sound footings.

I agree that if it was me marketing it, I would have had someone else write the advert for me. Having a working grasp of a foreign language (several in fact it seems) is something I would love to have and am somewhat sorry not to have. However there is a step change between having really fairly good english, and being able to write a good advert. Even my English is a bit marginal for that!!

Wish the best of luck to be fair, good on them.

Daniel

As far as I can see, while I may be wrong, it is exactly as you say, a legitimate narrowboat and sale of probably fairly sound footings.

I agree that if it was me marketing it, I would have had someone else write the advert for me. Having a working grasp of a foreign language (several in fact it seems) is something I would love to have and am somewhat sorry not to have. However there is a step change between having really fairly good english, and being able to write a good advert. Even my English is a bit marginal for that!!

Wish the best of luck to be fair, good on them.

Daniel

And if Carlsberg made £114k 45' Dutch barges, they'd be the best. In the World