A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

Not to dwell on the past, after a bad last 18 months or so and ending up boatless and very little finance wise to get started back on the boating scene we found this wee cruiser on the good old fleabay,We were after a bigger boat but at the £150 this cost towards what we was looking at spending we got this, good thing is its only 9 miles from home where we could of done work on it......but nah, not go into details i would be quicker to get it done at home. Wont get meithered as much, ( land owner )

Its in a sorry state as are all my boats i get, not all get finished by me but its good to get them a new life than leave them sat in yards or fields etc. This is a Buckingham 20, as said a bit small for what we wanted and for some reason i went to have a look at it and found it good for what we needed, somewhere to sleep, cook and well you know. Got god deck space asell for Ziggy, well jsut enough unless she dont stop growing otherwise we will have to get her on dinghy to pull behind lol.

20150509_101034_zpshctowyyp.jpg

20150509_101045_zps7swddl3k.jpg

20150509_101151_zpsywk3acvu.jpg

20150509_101213_zpsq8oo9wuh.jpg

20150509_101232_zpsoebvgd26.jpg

It is as near a shell as you can get, well as soon as i rip out the bit thats left, Its has good room for a 20 footer, i have had a few in the past but this is set out well.

The plan is to get it home asap and get stuck in, we did want to get it on the water straight away with just the hull and engine done then go from there buta s said, its coming home to get done, and more than just that, I dont mind roughing it on the boat, just like camping but as it will be home mite aswel;l get as much done as poss. I am in the process of sorting transport, i dont have a trailer or car to pull it now so i am looking on Uship for a full job or a trailer to buy, i have a local framer that can lift iot on for me at this then which will be easie than dragging it on a railer. Will cost more to move the boat than buy it, as always with these type of project boats.

Once home we have decided to strat from the top and work down, so top deck fettled and painted then fit windows, i cant decide what to do windows wise yet, either just rubber with perspex, or maybe make some wooden ones again a si did with my old Creighton, they looked good but that was a bigger boat and the wood looked good on it, not sure if it will on this boat.

So this is the new boat to set us off again, just happy to be back boating, even if not on the water yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh days of joy, at long last after a proper old faff trying to get my boat home, its here, it was that much trouble i near gave up on it and left it where it was and disown it, but nope i got it home at last.

I got it home today about 4pm and already got stuck into gutting it, well what is left to rip out.

So first job is to clean it out and repair the few bits that need it,m you can see on the bow there is a soft spot that i put a hammer through, no big deal, that will be done first as the rest isnt bad....yet

For the rubbing strakes i will be using either Sapele or Meranti as with my other boats, nice easy to work with wood, i would like to get the strake to wrap around the bow but its not going to happen with out it being to big a job. So i plan to fit it to 6 inch`ish wither side of the centre then make a nice wooden bow point to go in the middle, maybe with a stainless plate over, but we will see when its done.

Well pics for now as waiting for take out to arrive :)

I see that both NC's comments about the transom and my reply have been lost..........Naughty Cal was saying about the transom being cut away......I was saying that the low transom was probably original and there would have been a watertight bulkhead a bit forward of it.....it looks sort of still there although modified in the earlier photo's. A lot of small GRP's designed for an outboard have something similar to allow a short shaft motor to be fitted and to enable it to be tilted easily.

The watertight bulkhead (often with a watertight false floor under which fuel tank battery etc could be stored) maintaining the integrity of the hull against flooding.

• Greenie 1

I see that both NC's comments about the transom and my reply have been lost..........Naughty Cal was saying about the transom being cut away......I was saying that the low transom was probably original and there would have been a watertight bulkhead a bit forward of it.....it looks sort of still there although modified in the earlier photo's. A lot of small GRP's designed for an outboard have something similar to allow a short shaft motor to be fitted and to enable it to be tilted easily.

The watertight bulkhead (often with a watertight false floor under which fuel tank battery etc could be stored) maintaining the integrity of the hull against flooding.

Think I am going to stick with my original assumption that the transom has been modified. It doesnt look to be cut very square and there appear to be sections of angle screwed to the edges which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have been original fit.

Before everything went dark I was trying to find a picture of my Shetland which has something similar but curved at the ends (and incidentally has ali angle screwed on the edge to cover the chips and marks of 25 years of outboards being badly affixed)

Whichever it was it will need some sort of bulkhead fwd of the outboard up to cockpit side level or thereabout.

• Greenie 1

Before everything went dark I was trying to find a picture of my Shetland which has something similar but curved at the ends (and incidentally has ali angle screwed on the edge to cover the chips and marks of 25 years of outboards being badly affixed)

Whichever it was it will need some sort of bulkhead fwd of the outboard up to cockpit side level or thereabout.

Google comes up with images where by it could have been either. rolleyes.gif

One appears to have a transom then another appears to have an outboard well with bulkhead further forward.

Either way I think that is the least of this boats worries wacko.png

So is this which doesnt rolleyes.gif

Perhaps I should have said:- Here is a photo of a boat with a transom which seems to have been designed and built in a similar style to W+T's project. So maybe it hasn't been cut away as you suggested, but is probably original as John V thought, although it will need the inner bulkhead raising and reforming.

Perhaps I should have said:- Here is a photo of a boat with a transom which seems to have been designed and built in a similar style to W+T's project. So maybe it hasn't been cut away as you suggested, but is probably original as John V thought, although it will need the inner bulkhead raising and reforming.

Either way, I don't think that is the most important job just yet!

I looked over the transom and if it has been fettled they have done a good job as it looks as it should be there from factory, but then it could be made good to look that way, i know what you mean about the bulkhead, it needs rebuilding which is the plan, after the rest of the major areas are done, keal and bearers, box and few small patchs that will mor ethan liley show when i sand it all back. Still, i do think the transom is original for an outboard. its good and solid and i am sure a good height for a short shaft.

For this who shown interest in the Sierra.

20150108_143714_zpsqr33ctp9.jpg

20150108_143754_zpsrjmsy5hu.jpg

On closer inspection i have just noticed it has been fettled to lower the transom, good solid job but the inner transom bulkhead is going to be replaced in one eway or another, i could patch it up but i would rather rebuild it all with maybe a built in draining deck whilst at it., just i want to fit locker space below the rear deck, so then that will collect water, any ideas on that, i was thinking a slightly raised edge around the locker opening to stop water getting in.

Do you have a plan of attack for this project or are you going to just do things as and when?

I'm really looking forward to seeing this old girl back on the water. cheers.gif

Well the plan that be is........cider........think..........cider.........no not think cider but boat lol. then more cider to get the brain ticking over. Once the brain is in gear and body motivated its a rip out to bare shell, as is being done now and near finished, mark off what repairs need doing and amend, that upto now is

1 keal replacement along with bearers. ( going with Poly resin as Epoxy is to expensive but i will use plenty of Acetone to help the bond, and lots od CSM bandage )

2 Bow repair.( see how bad it cuts back fro materials )

3 A few strange delaminated patchs on the hull ( just found them last night, pics when i fix my phone sad.png , maybe a woven matting )

4 Sand all back and prime then paint the whole shell but for below water line as this will me antifouled, loads of sanding discs and Flag Metallic primer and Rylard again i think )

5 Fit new windows, new rubbers and perspex, shame i want glass but the cabin top is slightly curevd.

6 Replace rubbing strakes with Sapele timber

7 Make a new rear deck of sorts not yet decided also new cabin floor

Sounds so quick and easy, but we know different dont we smile.png))), i think that will do for this weekends work ;)

I agree......I have a soft spot for boats brought back from the dead !!!!

blinking sarcalidge isnt it, its in such a state aswell. sad.png

Edited by W+T

If you are going to the effort of sanding the rest of the boat it would be a shame not to strip the bottom back and start afresh. Not a nice job I know, we did it on NC a couple of years back but it needs doing every now and then.

If you are going to the effort of sanding the rest of the boat it would be a shame not to strip the bottom back and start afresh. Not a nice job I know, we did it on NC a couple of years back but it needs doing every now and then.

Yes i will be doing the whole boat Cal, just not antifouling closer to launch time.just going to leave it in primer. not much left on in antifoul, most of it is back to gel coat. I will have the buy SWMBO a bottle of wine though, she did the Creighton 26 we had, done it all her self with a 100mm B&D sander, the whole boat aswell lol. bless her she was as white as a ghost by the end of the day.She cant complai as the new sander is a 125mm, be a bit quicker this time and on a smaller boat. i sure do treat her at times.