No more license disks

n.b.Goldie

Featured Posts

I posted this on another thread yesterday evening.

It's a response from C&RT.

Thank you for your email.

Going forward we will be issuing licences via email to customers for whom we have an email address registered, rather than sending them in the post. Customers are still required to display their licence discs, and they will be able to download and print these from the website.

If we do not have an email address on file for a customer, the discs will still be sent in the post.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if I can assist further in any way.

Kind regards,

Katy Ellis

Customer Service Advisor

Canal & River Trust

E: customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk

What about people who have an email address but no printer ?

Thought you might be interested in this reply to my tweet, could not find any info on website

CRT Customer Service

replied to your Tweet.

Ditchdabbler @Ditchdabbler

Apr 30

@CRTContactUs Any truth in the rumour you are no longer issuing licence 'disks'?

CRT Customer Service

@CRTContactUs

May 01

@Ditchdabbler Sort of! We're now emailing licences rather than posting them, however there is no longer a requirement to display the discs.

It appears there's a lot of confusion generated by one piece of misinformation. The explanation that they email rather than post the licence if there's an email address, and a requirement to print the licence yourself and display it, seems reasonable to me.

It appears there's a lot of confusion generated by one piece of misinformation. The explanation that they email rather than post the licence if there's an email address, and a requirement to print the licence yourself and display it, seems reasonable to me.

If they require you to display a paper licence, they should supply it.

What about people who have an email address but no printer ?

They will supply paper licence if you ask.

If they require you to display a paper licence, they should supply it.

They will if you ask

I'll hazard a guess that someone at CRT has decided that display of licence should no longer be mandatory, and issued an edict to that effect, without realising that it's a legal requirement.

Tim

Well Ive just renewed my licence this morning and can confirm they email a link to you so you can print it out….however they seem to be having IT stress this morning so I cant log into my account to print it off! Ive been told by CRT customer services to try later this afternoon.

Apart from that dealing with craft licensing over the phone was a pleasure….even though Im a pain as I want to renew it early before we go away so don't have reference numbers etc.

Now they just need to kick the IT dept but thats true of lots of companies and organisations!

As I only have an inkjet printer I may laminate my disks so the ink doesnt run.

Cheers

Gareth

Well Ive just renewed my licence this morning and can confirm they email a link to you so you can print it out….however they seem to be having IT stress this morning so I cant log into my account to print it off! Ive been told by CRT customer services to try later this afternoon.

Apart from that dealing with craft licensing over the phone was a pleasure….even though Im a pain as I want to renew it early before we go away so don't have reference numbers etc.

Now they just need to kick the IT dept but thats true of lots of companies and organisations!

Cheers

Gareth

Interesting, I have just received my new mooring permits in the post today. Perhaps the "print it yourself" is restrict to licences at the moment?

Interesting, I have just received my new mooring permits in the post today. Perhaps the "print it yourself" is restrict to licences at the moment?

Presumably, as you can't do permits online. which makes the whole thing rather pointless for people with home moorings though presumably a good thing for CCers with no fixed home address.

I wonder if a black and white print is considered ok. I only have a laser printer!

Likewise. I will colour mine in with crayons, which you are welcome to borrow ;)

Cheers

Gareth

Quite, if you print with an ink jet printer, which is what I would think most people who have a printer would have, certainly as a colour printer, then the ink is going to run like mad as soon as they get wet with condensation. Seems seem like a very poor idea to me. If they want them displayed then print them and post them out, otherwise go all electronic and don't bother with the displayed disk.

I wonder if a black and white print is considered ok. I only have a laser printer!

I just received mine by email and they are black and white; there is no coloured band like the previously pre-printed ones.

I just received mine by email and they are black and white; there is no coloured band like the previously pre-printed ones.

Same here -renewed mine last week-got the email and printed it on a colour printer and it is only black print

One thing to watch-I didn't get a reminder even though they say they sent one and no other post that I'm aware of has gone missing

Conversely, I only have an Inkjet, which is unlikely to last the year against a single glazed window.

To me, they should either get rid of it, or not.

Daniel

Conversely, I only have an Inkjet, which is unlikely to last the year against a single glazed window.

To me, they should either get rid of it, or not.

Daniel

I've also got mine today by e-mail although it involved a bit of a faff on the website. I was given a link on the e-mail which I connected to and it asked me to log into my CRT account. Put in e-mail address and password which it then said it didn't recognise and offered my the option of registering. Tried that option to then be told that I couldn't register because the e-mail address was already on the system frusty.gif . Contacted customer services by phone and she then sent an e-mail connection to re-set the password.

The licence is in black and white and for those worried about it fading during the year you can download the PDF to your laptop so, if you feel so inclined, you can print off as many licences as you want.

By a rough calculation if half of say 35,000 boats got a license by email at normal second class rate that would save just over £9,000. That is with out printing costs etc.

Ok.

Estimated cost of 35,000 people printing an tiny square on a whole sheet of A4, using domestic printing equipment, run of qty2 items, 35% of which wont last the year? Estimated cost of a 20% spike in failure to display due to people not having printers and or having printers which produce an unsuitable output?

Factoring in the fact that the £9k (will they not get a reduced rate, surely) will then go back into our national post system, and hence contribute to all of that, rather than just wasted time and paper?

Daniel

I've also got mine today by e-mail although it involved a bit of a faff on the website. I was given a link on the e-mail which I connected to and it asked me to log into my CRT account. Put in e-mail address and password which it then said it didn't recognise and offered my the option of registering. Tried that option to then be told that I couldn't register because the e-mail address was already on the system frusty.gif . Contacted customer services by phone and she then sent an e-mail connection to re-set the password.

The licence is in black and white and for those worried about it fading during the year you can download the PDF to your laptop so, if you feel so inclined, you can print off as many licences as you want.

I had exactly the same issue and Customer Services said they had several reports of this. I must say the lady I spoke to was very helpful, took payment over the phone and immediately emailed my licence.

I had exactly the same issue and Customer Services said they had several reports of this. I must say the lady I spoke to was very helpful, took payment over the phone and immediately emailed my licence.

Me too as said in my earlier post.....im guessing I'm going to have to phone customer services then and hope they can reset my password.

At least I'm not the only one having trouble.

Cheers

Gareth

When I renewed mine 2 weeks ago, the lady told me they no longer send them out, and it was no longer a requirement to display it PROVIDED the name and index number of the boat were on view.

I also was unable to log in to print it out..... And that has continued to be the case for 2 weeks now.

As above, the CRT operators in Leeds do an excellent job, it is a pleasure to speak to them and they only need your boat registration number to renew a licence!

However, the 'phone call on my PAYG 'phone costs me ~£2.50 - £3.00 whereas I could renew online at no cost - if I had received that 'magic' multi-digit number (reminder) by mail, email or SMS (text).

I could renew annually by direct debit but that denies me the '10% prompt payment discount'; surely a poor business model?

CRT staff, on the bank and in the office are doing a good job despite the efforts of their 'bound to Civil Service' standards of their management.

Alan

Ok.

Estimated cost of 35,000 people printing an tiny square on a whole sheet of A4, using domestic printing equipment, run of qty2 items, 35% of which wont last the year? Estimated cost of a 20% spike in failure to display due to people not having printers and or having printers which produce an unsuitable output?

Factoring in the fact that the £9k (will they not get a reduced rate, surely) will then go back into our national post system, and hence contribute to all of that, rather than just wasted time and paper?

Daniel

I assumed an difference in cost of postage would help cover the envelope and paper I hadn't factored in.

Consider the cost to the individual as a tiny donation towards the maintenance of the system. There is no excuse for not displaying a license as if you don't have a printer they will supply a paper license for you.

I am not sure what you are getting at in your last para. The post office is now privatised so there is no more allegiance to it than any other business.