Slow TV Next Tuesday

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

We watched the first hour and found it quite mesmerising. Film 4 called us away with a film we've been meaning to watch for ages, otherwise we could have quite happily watched it for another hour.

It was. It was interesting to view it all as if sat in the well deck rather than on the back steering. My wife refuses to steer. I enjoy it but it is a different perspective.

I dipped in and out rather than watching the whole two hours.

I felt the added graphics were very good, especially when they superimposed old photos on the scene but I do not see why they could not have cut away to show interesting features beside the canal like the exterior of the Claverton pumping station. If they can do that with the graphics they should be able to cut away and return in a manner that did not disrupt the "flow" of the scene.

I felt that the subject was not exactly suitable for TV because by definition people would be seeing it on a screen many times smaller than real life so could not see the wider details. In most cases it was not even possible to read the boat names. That is not to say it was a worthless programme but perhaps the makers should have given more thought as to how they would convey the feeling of space one gets in real life cruising.

I also noted there were none of the gangs of Lycra louts that plaged this canal each time I have visited. Just two bods who looked as if they wee late for work rather than racing. Agree about the number of moored boats but unless you are a boater you would not know what that tends to mean for progress but that is how it has been there for many years.

Enjoyed the first hour, and recorded the second, but didn't really learn anything new from the graphics, and don't really think a non boater would have stuck with it. Still if, in my dotage, I am in a nursing home, I would rather be parked in front of that than the drivel of daytime TV.

Boring, badly produced, incorrect graphics in places, badly researched and enough boredom to bring on falling asleep. What anyone could have learnt from this beggars belief. Even CRT could have produced a better programme!

We watched the first hour and found it quite mesmerising. Film 4 called us away with a film we've been meaning to watch for ages, otherwise we could have quite happily watched it for another hour.

Yes, that was a good 'un - we watched it again last week. The sequel is even better.

Watched a bit, but got bored quickly. Clever how they painted those graphics on the canal surface though. Must have been floating vinyl letters. I am told it is a trial for when they put white lines down the middle, and double yellows along the edge.

Yes, that was a good 'un - we watched it again last week. The sequel is even better.

We knew we were in for a treat when we saw the cast list and weren't disappointed. Looking forward to catching the sequel when it comes round again.

Sorry off topic folks (lost my smiley list)

It was apparently extremely popular - an audience of half a million which is huge for BBC4.

6000,000 according to the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11588301/Slow-TV-canal-trip-was-surprise-hit-because-it-offered-escape-from-everyday-lifecanal-canal-trip-bbc-slow-tv-ratings.html?fb_ref=Default

Tim

This isn't selling the K &A to me I would seriously get fed up of slowing down for all the moored boats, there is just so many of them!

Absolutely agree, what would canals be like if we had to travel slowly on them?

We knew we were in for a treat when we saw the cast list and weren't disappointed. Looking forward to catching the sequel when it comes round again.

Sorry off topic folks (lost my smiley list)

Any clue as to the title of said film/programme ?

The action is getting a little intense for me. A man just filled a bucket.

Ooh, a head-on collision! Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Any...

You should try the Great Ouse. On the long straight stretches even a cow having a pee is an event rolleyes.gif

Think they should have used a boat with a more vocal engine. Dare I suggest a vintage twin to add extra audible interest. The sound of the attack budgies would still be heard. We could also check the steerer was slowing whilst passing moored boats wink.png