Mooring sites in Worcester

Stephen and Kate

Featured Posts

I will be heading to Worcester via The Avon and Severn next week and I am looking to come off the river ,up W&B locks 1&2 and hopefully find a mooring to leave the boat unattended for 12 days.Are there informal towpath moorings beyond Diglis Basin but before Bridge 2 ,are there any time restrictions here and is there normally any room ? Alternatively ,are there any other towpath sites further into the city which would be considered safe,14 day friendly and where chains around armco can be attached ?

If all else fails ,can you pay for short term moorings (for said 12 days) in Diglis Basin itself ?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Even if there are 14 day moorings above Commandery Lock I wouldn't say it would be that sensible for a long period. You would be better asking at Diglis Basin or even at Lowesmor Basin. Latter is run by ABC.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

Have to second Graham's advice. I guess it depends what you are used to and comfortable doing but there is nowhere I would choose to leave my boat unattended for 12 days in Worcester other than paid for in Diglis or Lowesmoor.

If you have time to make it up to Hawford and on to Droitwich then there are secure 14 day moorings on the pontoons in Netherwich Basin close to the town centre. Access is by BWB key.

JP

I guess it depends what you are used to and comfortable doing

JP

My boat is functional but not the most flash on the canal network and I am happy leaving it on a towpath mooring as long as the towpath is reasonably well used and there are other boats around,hopefully with some liveaboards.I noticed on Google Street View that there are bollards both sides of Mill Bridge 2 and with appartments overlooking the towpath it looks potentially safe. Just after some local knowledge ,and to make sure that 14 days would apply to this stretch .Thanks for the input so far.

My boat is functional but not the most flash on the canal network and I am happy leaving it on a towpath mooring as long as the towpath is reasonably well used and there are other boats around,hopefully with some liveaboards.I noticed on Google Street View that there are bollards both sides of Mill Bridge 2 and with appartments overlooking the towpath it looks potentially safe. Just after some local knowledge ,and to make sure that 14 days would apply to this stretch .Thanks for the input so far.

48 hr, 14 days above lock 4, bridge 4

You aren't going to find 14 day moorings until you have left the fourth lock, as Ditchcrawler says, and I wouldn't be very happy leaving a boat in that area for long. We lived in Worcester for 20+ years.

If you really have to leave your boat in Worcester you will be best trying Diglis or Lowesmoor Basins. There is/was a small "marina" on the Severn, just after the top of the Racecourse, in the Barbourne area of Worcester.

Lowesmoor (ABC/Viking) would be my suggestion too - they're very friendly and helpful there. There's a VW repair place on the offside before there that has a few moorings and might have some space. Otherwise there's not really anywhere I'd choose until the countryside beyond the M5.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

And definitely don't leave it in the stretch that appears to be quite rural south of Worcester Warriors.

This all makes the B&W sound quite dodgy, which it isn't really. There's a world of difference between cruising through and leaving a boat unattended for a fortnight.

• 1 year later...

Stayed at the racecourse moorings last night (Friday), very noisy night with lots of people shouting, screaming and whistling until 5am, then the trains started, nobody approached the boat but it made it a bit unpleasant. I think next time we will see if the visitors moorings just before Diglis Lock are vacant. Of course, it could just be that it is freshers' week and there are a lot of students who've got the first instalment of their maintenance loan!