Preston to Llangollen - recommended stops and places to avoid?

Kathymel

Featured Posts

Hi folks.

I'm moving Scarlet from her mooring in Ashton Basin to Llangollen over the next month or two. I work random shifts with only a week's notice of days off, meaning I've only got a couple of days a week to do it and may have to leave her in between hops for up to 10 days.

Can people recommend safe, interesting or fun stopping places along the way or share information of where to avoid if I still want to have solar panels attached when I get to the other end? If there are pubs (with real ale) nearby occasionally, it's all to the good. Remote and tranquil spots also welcomed.

Thanks all.

Kathy

That's a great trip to undertake and would be fantastic over say two weeks with no pressure.

Once you get to Barbridge you will be fine and there are no really bad places to stop ( in my limited experience anyway ) from Barbridge to Llangollen.

I only know certain of the stretches that you will do on the way to Barbridge. Go onto route planer and pick out places that you think will suite what you want to do daily and then ask about those potential stopping places in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great trip to undertake and would be fantastic over say two weeks with no pressure.

Once you get to Barbridge you will be fine and there are no really bad places to stop ( in my limited experience anyway ) from Barbridge to Llangollen.

I only know certain of the stretches that you will do on the way to Barbridge. Go onto route planer and pick out places that you think will suite what you want to do daily and then ask about those potential stopping places in particular.

Even before Barbridge - mainly anywhere from Oldfield Brow near Altrincham on the Bridgewater is ok really, some urban places along the way like Stockton Heath and Broken Cross, but they're ok. Sale also has good safe moorings on the offside near the pub, if a bit noisy because of the trams. I'd be a bit cautious about stopping overnight on the immediate run up to the junction with the Runcorn Arm (the last half mile or so to the junction, beyond Keckwick), the area itself is ok, it just feels a bit secluded with the eastern urban sprawl of Runcorn fairly close by.

Edited by Philip

Lymm is a good stop. Moor in the village and visit the pubs. There is a micro brewery on the street where the little aqueduct goes under the canal and the Saddlers opposite does good beer. The Italian on the high street is good as well.

The Swan with two nicks at Dunham is well worth a stop and a look round Dunham Massey is good

Visit the Kings Lock at Middlewich, Dean does good food and Great Beer

Edited by captain birdseye