Stenson Lock Winding

baldlimey

Featured Posts

Hi

Last time I winded below Stenson Lock I got shouted at, and since then no winding signs have gone up. Then I got told off for using the marina entrance. Where should I wind there without upsetting anyone?

Cheers

Pete

P.S. Before anyone asks I did not get close to any other boats either time.

I can't see a big problem winding wherever the boat can fit without causing danger. You've paid for the right to be on the water. The water flowing into and out of the marina is CRT's water and you pay to float on it. I think the marina is being a bit over possessive.

Hi

Last time I winded below Stenson Lock I got shouted at, and since then no winding signs have gone up. Then I got told off for using the marina entrance. Where should I wind there without upsetting anyone?

Cheers

Pete

Who shouted at you for winding below the lock? If its wide enough and if you can do it without hitting anything I see no problem. I know a boat used (?still does) moor in that space but they are not doing anything wrong either because its not a winding hole.

Ed. - just had a quick look at my Nicholson's guide and that actually shows the area above the lock between the top gates and the marina entrance as a winding hole, but I don't recall it being that wide there and almost certainly not as wide as the area below the lock.

I can't see a big problem winding wherever the boat can fit without causing danger. You've paid for the right to be on the water. The water flowing into and out of the marina is CRT's water and you pay to float on it. I think the marina is being a bit over possessive.

Totally agree. We used to wind where we liked most of the time because most of the waterways were wide enough to nearly all the way.

Edited by MJG

Hi

Cheers

Pete

CRT have a habit of putting "no winding" signs up, even in winding holes that are attached to marina's, we have also complained about this in the past and had them removed, we have wound at the top and bottom of stenson lock with no problems, what they gonna do fine you?

There is a small 'V' cut into the bank just above the lock which you are supposed to use, but I wouldn't fancy turning there especially with boats queuing to go into the lock. Below the lock there about 3 boats with permanent moorings. My choice would be the marina entrance.

GinJer (moored in Stenson Marina)