What to use on exterior wood (hatches)

Featured Posts

The operative word being "should" I bought some expensive hardwood WBP from what I assumed was a reputable source to make the slide on our boat, It started to delaminate within 12 months, despite very cerefull preparation, the glue just crystalized.

I went back to the suppliers who admitted that they often had that problem because the mill where the ply was made (somewhere in the Far East) often had power cuts and if it happened while the heat presses were operating, the glue did not cure properly. their only compensation was to refund the cost of the timber, but no mention of compensating the cost of making the slide.

I no longer use that supplier and now only use ply manufactured in Europe, where manufacturing proceedures are better regulated. I also now have a slide fabricated from steel!

Yeah it is variable these days, best never buy sight unseen, and test an offcut with a few cycles in the dishwasher - or by boiling it...

Ticks me off when good stuff is used for building site hoardings, then probably landfilled. sad.png

cheers, Pete.

~smtp~

Edited by smileypete

The operative word being "should" I bought some expensive hardwood WBP from what I assumed was a reputable source to make the slide on our boat, It started to delaminate within 12 months, despite very cerefull preparation, the glue just crystalized.

I went back to the suppliers who admitted that they often had that problem because the mill where the ply was made (somewhere in the Far East) often had power cuts and if it happened while the heat presses were operating, the glue did not cure properly. their only compensation was to refund the cost of the timber, but no mention of compensating the cost of making the slide.

I no longer use that supplier and now only use ply manufactured in Europe, where manufacturing proceedures are better regulated. I also now have a slide fabricated from steel!

Even if you buy marine ply, unless you go to somewhere like Robbins the quality can be highly variable these days. I acquired some from Jewsons recently and it is full of voids.

Of course I wax the paintwork on our boat, but we were talking about exterior wood finishes, and wax alone as an exterior wood finish will not last five minutes. Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, the only hard wax oils I have ever come across are primarily for polishing floors and possibly furniture, and are not recommended for exterior use.

As for Sikkens, where did I suggest it was unsuitable, it has been around for centuries, the only "traditionalists likely to have disapproved would have been French Polishers. I am also not opposed to new products, I was using cynochronatic glue long before it became generally available, and although trained to use boiled animal glue and Caseine glue, I regulary use PVA and have recently discovered Gorilla glue which is easy to use and appears to make a very strong waterproof bond.

Cynochronatic glue? WTF's that?blink.png

Edited by Loafer

• 2 weeks later...

Le Tonkinois. Have tried other stuff but the only thing I would ever use now for interior and exterior is Le Tonkinois. Incredibly easy to use, simple and quick prep. If you need to touch it up or want to put another coat on, all you do is a quick rub-down with wire wool, remove the dust with a tack-cloth and then chuck it on. I use a foam brush but you can use anything. It blends so no brush marks....Simples!! Did my deck hatches 4 years ago and still like new. http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.uk/