1.8 Starter issues....

Flocal

Featured Posts

Or loose through bolts in the starter which would allow the armature to hit the fields with much grinding and eventual short circuit. All this about "does the engine turn?" is a bit odd to me. If the starter is busted it needs a new one, if a new starter meets a seized engine that does not mean another knackered starter, not unless you decide to hold the key with a full charged battery for a loooong while. All starters should be subject to a lock torque test and brief periods locked up will not be harmful

Thanks for that Snibs, I was wondering how a field winding could short out.

Richard

That's the fuel lift pump. Providing the engine camshaft is in the right place you should be able to prime fuel through by pulling the rod up and down. The rod should have a loop on the top from memory. One fuel line should go to the injection pump eventually and the other should come from the fuel tank eventually if you trace the lines back.

Roger

Cheers Roger, yes that's the one.

I've had a diesel leak for a while and had trouble finding it. Whilst removing all the floor boards to get too the starter I had a mooch about.

Seems the seal between the Base of the pump and the domed top is perishing. It looks to be weeping.

Cheers Roger, yes that's the one.

I've had a diesel leak for a while and had trouble finding it. Whilst removing all the floor boards to get too the starter I had a mooch about.

Seems the seal between the Base of the pump and the domed top is perishing. It looks to be weeping.

That was a brand new pump when I reconditioned the engine but, in fairness, that was back in the very early 90s so I guess it hasn't done too badly.

Roger

If you're talking about the joint tightened by the ring of screws and unless your pump is different to mine tne 'seal' you mention is in fact the outside edge of the diaphram. In my experience it always looks 'tatty'

Frank

Or loose through bolts in the starter which would allow the armature to hit the fields with much grinding and eventual short circuit. All this about "does the engine turn?" is a bit odd to me. If the starter is busted it needs a new one, if a new starter meets a seized engine that does not mean another knackered starter, not unless you decide to hold the key with a full charged battery for a loooong while. All starters should be subject to a lock torque test and brief periods locked up will not be harmful

The engine turning bit was meant to be a two minute check to confirm all ok. As the OP did not know how to check that was why it 'mountained out of a molehill' is all. Common sense check would have thought?