Trent and Mersey stoppage

colmac

Featured Posts

I believe the above canal has breached at Dutton. C&RT have said the repair will take until early spring with no definite completion date. We were intending to do Stourport to Preston Brook for our spring trip so my query is; does anyone live/moor anywhere near the breach and, if so does it look like it might be a long stoppage ? Thank you

Thanks to the "on topic " replies. The Chinese army thing left me slightly non-plussed I must admit. We may just go as far as we can in that direction then back round. It's only a jolly really before the summer voyage.

Thanks to the "on topic " replies. The Chinese army thing left me slightly non-plussed I must admit. We may just go as far as we can in that direction then back round. It's only a jolly really before the summer voyage.

If you were heading for Preston Brook, the stoppage is less than an hour's boating short of your destination wink.png

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I second that. The river weaver is very pleasant and quiet waterway. I am looking forward to revisiting it this year.

Can you give me a better idea of how quiet it is? By way of assistance, here are my ideals:

No other boats, except for those that don't run noisy things after beer o'clock (bo'c) or before breakfast-time

No children either seen or heard after bo'c or before breakfast-time

No dogs barking all the time, or at any time (like ours)

No hatch lids slamming shut at any time

No chainsaws unless politely warned about it

No bleeping reversing vehicles, that can be heard across half a county

No hooting trains

No trains

No motorways nearby

I haven't found it yet in 5 years of reasonably decent CC-ing! (Apart from where I am now, which I'm not revealing 'cos I've been here more than 14 days. Well I did say 'decent' CC-ing, not 'perfect'!

I find the noise of trains quite relaxing actually, or at least from a bit of a distance away. The Pendolinos even make an eerie whistling/whirring sound when they glide past.

The West Coast Mainline crosses the Weaver a couple of times, at Hartford and again at Dutton, but most of the time it's on the other side of the valley meaning noise isn't obtrusive. The Chester-Manchester line crosses at Northwich and the Warrington-Chester line at Sutton but apart from that they don't intrude.

Can you give me a better idea of how quiet it is? By way of assistance, here are my ideals:

No other boats, except for those that don't run noisy things after beer o'clock (bo'c) or before breakfast-time

No hooting trains

No trains

No motorways nearby

I haven't found it yet in 5 years of reasonably decent CC-ing! (Apart from where I am now, which I'm not revealing 'cos I've been here more than 14 days. Well I did say 'decent' CC-ing, not 'perfect'!

Quiet --> you'll see approx. 5 boats / day moving on the river.

No hooting trains

No trains

No motorways nearby

out of the lift and turn right, stop at the first lot of armco, you won't hear any of the above :) enjoy!!!

out of the lift and turn right, stop at the first lot of armco, you won't hear any of the above smile.png enjoy!!!

Sounds like a project. Thank you for the tip.

I suppose everyone else will head that way now, just to annoy me. I bet Cotswoldman will be there waiting for me, with a pencil and paper at the ready!!

Bad news we might bump into each other but I will be entering from MSC

To bypass stoppage

I shall give you a wave if I see you! Maybe have a beer.

I was thinking of the possibility of going to Ellesmere Port and along the MSC to the Weaver from there but have not looked into the why and wherefores or what is required yet.

I shall give you a wave if I see you! Maybe have a beer.

I was thinking of the possibility of going to Ellesmere Port and along the MSC to the Weaver from there but have not looked into the why and wherefores or what is required yet.

I will be going from Liverpool with a few other boats

• 2 weeks later...

Met with other members of our local boat club on Saturday at Anderton. The rumours flying around are that not only has

access to the site been difficult (as it was last time) but that the stoppage could last until May!! Tried to get

a sensible up-date from Red Bull office,without success

Met with other members of our local boat club on Saturday at Anderton. The rumours flying around are that not only has

access to the site been difficult (as it was last time) but that the stoppage could last until May!! Tried to get

a sensible up-date from Red Bull office,without success

There's another rumour that Easter is still on the cards but not certain.

We were promised an update in early Feb, in my book 10th is no longer 'early', and we've heard nothing official yet.

Tim

Hi I'm heading up the Shoppie and going to spend some time on the Llangollen and Weaver before going up onto the L&L via this stretch of the T&M. Currently not expecting to get to the stoppage before Easter so will be OK if it's sorted by then. My fallback plan would be to join the Manchester ship canal a Runcorn and use that to bypass the stoppage.

I've not been on the MSC so just wondered if there any special requirements or rules I need to be aware off like there are on the tidal Thames.

Hi I'm heading up the Shoppie and going to spend some time on the Llangollen and Weaver before going up onto the L&L via this stretch of the T&M. Currently not expecting to get to the stoppage before Easter so will be OK if it's sorted by then. My fallback plan would be to join the Manchester ship canal a Runcorn and use that to bypass the stoppage.

I've not been on the MSC so just wondered if there any special requirements or rules I need to be aware off like there are on the tidal Thames.

Yeah there's a bunch of requirements and also locking fees. I had a quick google but couldn't find the website with the info on though. From memory, its a survey to check a bunch of items including longer ropes, that you have a chart of the MSC, etc they recommend VHF but mobile phone is okay (some bits you need to turn it off though), and you'd need to book and pay for the locks.

Edited by Paul C