Canal Map (Like London Tube Map)

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

Neatly done. One thing I could not understand though was that the GU Bulls Bridge-Bulbourne, Lea & Stort, Bridgwater-Sharpness are all in grey, but the key only has the Aire & Calder Navigation as that colour. Some of these are rivers, but rivers are shown to be black.

Tam

It's a nice first attempt, but needs some refinement. To me it would make sense to just have separate colours for tidal, non-tidal rivers, wide canals, narrow canals, and any disused canals which have some chance of eventual restoration. Plus maybe something to indicate CRT, EA and other navigation authorities.

When may we expect the tea-towels, T-shirts, mugs and all the other such merchandise?

I think this has been posted before but I guess it's being updated.

Not sure about Snaith being named on the A&C Navigation a better reference point near that location would be Pollington. Snaith is some distance from the navigation.

Plus Gargrave on the Leeds and Liverpool is spelt incorrectly.

and Doncaster seems a bit of a significant omission from the S&SYN.

Edited by The Dog House

It's a nice first attempt, but needs some refinement. To me it would make sense to just have separate colours for tidal, non-tidal rivers, wide canals, narrow canals, and any disused canals which have some chance of eventual restoration. Plus maybe something to indicate CRT, EA and other navigation authorities.

When may we expect the tea-towels, T-shirts, mugs and all the other such merchandise?

If you tried to incorporate all that it would cease to serve its purpose as a quick reference guide.

I think it's great especially for folk like me with poor spatial awareness. Having all the junctions on is really good eg I can never remember which is which between Kingswood and Kings Norton.

Forum member Tafkam started this in 2011. There were a couple of threads. Link The map the OP links to doesn't seem to have been updated (eg to show the Droitwich canals)

Edited to say that Tafkam in fact did the original map in 2009. Link

Edited again to reply to TDH's point about Snaith - I think it refers to the limit of navigation of the tidal R. Aire , but the actual word has slipped a bit!

I have this map pinned up in my boat, and often refer to it for the big picture.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Forum member Tafkam started this in 2011. There were a couple of threads. Link The map the OP links to doesn't seem to have been updated (eg to show the Droitwich canals)

Edited to say that Tafkam in fact did the original map in 2009. Link

Edited again to reply to TDH's point about Snaith - I think it refers to the limit of navigation of the tidal R. Aire , but the actual word has slipped a bit!

I have this map pinned up in my boat, and often refer to it for the big picture.

But I don't think the waterwaysongs version is Tafkam's original map is it?

Tafkam hasn't been here since 2011, and his original links are no longer valid. Shame. I thought I had taken a copy of his maps, but if I did I can no longer find it.sad.png

Tafkam hasn't been here since 2011, and his original links are no longer valid. Shame. I thought I had taken a copy of his maps, but if I did I can no longer find it.sad.png

It's one of the later versions of his map - it has the corrections and modifications I remember from the time

Richard

There's a similar one (it's on the boat or I'd scan it in) which is designed round travelling times - shows 2 hour and 6 hour apart points. Can't remember who designed it, but it's a very useful piece of kit.

Clegg's map

Very useful.

Edited by koukouvagia

Great idea but, as others have pointed out, a few important things missing/need amending.

1. Be useful to distinguish rivers from canals.

2. Don't you need to cross/navigate the Ribble to get to/from the Lancaster Canal?

3. I like the minimalist approach but useful to have max. lengths/widths, and key features like major tunnels, lifts etc.

The 2011 links are no longer valid, but Tafkam's original version, first attempt, is still available from the 2009 link in my post #11, above.

Now all we need is for some enterprising soul to commission a red narrowboat with a rounded roof and sliding hatches, you know just like a tube train smile.png

Already Done ! - Dads NB Marah whilst under original ownership of Graham Capelin - Photo courtesy of Tim Leech.

Cavalcade-1991-2-L.jpg

Now all we need is for some enterprising soul to commission a red narrowboat with a rounded roof and sliding hatches, you know just like a tube train smile.png

They've done that its called Whitfield.