Headroom

Peter Knowles

Featured Posts

Mike - where's your oven?

*yours looks to be about the same as our friends boat, wonder why ours has so much less headroom inside. Like I say, we aren't deep drafted and definitely don't have as much curve to our roof as either yours or our friends boat.

Guess we must have loads of space between the floor and the bottom of the boat.

We do, nearly a foot, and it's a little annoying as taller friends have to watch their heads under the roof beams. The previous owner wa quite short, and wanted to see out of the windows!

It would in theory be possible to have over 7' headroom in a narrow boat- with an ex working boat with 4'6" hull sides, a very thick base plate so no ballast, and a 3' cabin height above the gunwales would feel palatial.

Mike - where's your oven?

I forgot to install one! I sometimes use the halogen oven and I have a convection/microwave in the cupboard under the hob.

I never really used the oven on my first boat, so I didn't bother to install one on this boat. But now I've decided I want one so I'm going to take the doors off the those cupboards under the hob and install an oven in there.

*yours looks to be about the same as our friends boat, wonder why ours has so much less headroom inside. Like I say, we aren't deep drafted and definitely don't have as much curve to our roof as either yours or our friends boat.

Guess we must have loads of space between the floor and the bottom of the boat.

I only have about 6" space under my floor. Just enough for 2 layers of paving slabs.

A friend of mine with the same 12ft beam Liverpool boat has about 6" less headroom then me because his roof is less curved. I guess it just depends on who's in the team building the boat at the time.

But isn't your boat 10ft6 beam? You'd need an extremely curved roof to have the same headroom as a 12ft beam boat with a curved roof.

Edited by blackrose

I only have about 6" space under my floor. Just enough for 2 layers of paving slabs.

A friend of mine with the same 12ft beam Liverpool boat has about 6" less headroom then me because his roof is less curved. I guess it just depends on who's in the team building the boat at the time.

But isn't your boat 10ft6 beam? You'd need an extremely curved roof to have the same headroom as a 12ft beam boat with a curved roof.

Ahh that explains the oven I couldn't see in the pic :)

I couldn't live without my oven, it's in use pretty much every day for one thing or another

Ours is 10ft 10in beam, and our friends boat that has significantly more head room than ours is 10ft; but like I say their roof has much more curve to it than ours does, so I guess like you say, a lot of it must be down to the fact our roof has so little curve to it.

You'd just about make it in our house where all the ceilings are around 6'6" except for the sitting room which deflects to about 6'4" in the middle. At your height I reckon you could clean the upstairs windows without a ladder

Wow ! I can live with it on my boat - But in the house (1900's build) we have 10ft ceilings - In yours I'd probably end up with a spine like Richard III !

On that note - It was the end of all the history for local Leics Boaters as we thought his bones were thrown into the Soar ! How wrong we were !