Which blade to fit to the new REGINALD?

MtB

Featured Posts

For those unaware, REGINALD is at Brinklow having his arse replaced, and a gorgeous new old SKANDIA semi-diesel fitted.

A Skandia 120B, 23HP at 600 rpm according to Mike Adams here from who I purchased it. So, what blade does the team think would be about right for this motor? REG is a 45ft narrowboat, 700mm draft at the skeg, about 12 or 15 tonnes I'd guess...

Needs to be a LH blade, max 22" diameter, in case anyone has something suitable lying around...

MtB

This may or may not be helpful. I've still got the LH blade which I used with my Seffle. The engine is a 25hp -

semi diesel, so not so very different from yours.

I can measure the diameter at the weekend. I guess it's around 22" and I think it fits a 2" shaft. Sorry this is a bit vague, but it's a long time since I've looked at it.

If it is, MtB won't be balancing a £1 coin on it's edge on the top of engine. smile.png

Yes that's the one. Magnificent isn't it!

When it's all done I won't need to be able balance a £1 coin on it - as I won't have any left.

:)

MtB

• Greenie 2

Denmark is a similar draft and weight but 5' shorter. RN DM2 is similar max hp at twice the revs, but I'd guess neither of us would be at max very often. When I got it, there was a Crouther prop on, suggested by them, of 22X19 and that feels OK (although it does have a relatively short swim so the back does dig rather deep when at cruising speed - loves deep rivers though!)

eta- memory playing tricks - just checked the paperwork and its 22x20

Edited by Mike Tee

Denmark is a similar draft and weight but 5' shorter. RN DM2 is similar max hp at twice the revs, but I'd guess neither of us would be at max very often. When I got it, there was a Crouther prop on, suggested by them, of 22X19 and that feels OK (although it does have a relatively short swim so the back does dig rather deep when at cruising speed - loves deep rivers though!)

Thanks Mike.

With a 2:1 reduction box? If so this is v helpful. Reginald has 1:1 transmission so the engine running at half the speed of yours is equivalent.

MtB

Crowthers made a prop for me for a 20hp Bolinder, it was definitely too big.

The owners said it saved them a lot of money on fuel, compared with using the original worn-out propeller, but they couldn't achieve near max revs or power.

Tim

Crowthers made a prop for me for a 20hp Bolinder, it was definitely too big.

The owners said it saved them a lot of money on fuel, compared with using the original worn-out propeller, but they couldn't achieve near max revs or power.

Tim

Crowthers don't seem good with unusual vintage engines.

They specified and made the blade for my K1 and that was rubbish too, but in the opposite direction. Required the engine to be revving its nuts off to achieve any grip on the water. Most unpleasant to use and the brakes were non-existent.

MtB

This may or may not be helpful. I've still got the LH blade which I used with my Seffle. The engine is a 25hp -

semi diesel, so not so very different from yours.

I can measure the diameter at the weekend. I guess it's around 22" and I think it fits a 2" shaft. Sorry this is a bit vague, but it's a long time since I've looked at it.

IIRC the blade on Lily was 26 x 21 LH for a 2" Shaft but if MB only has 22"s under the back he would have more pitch to compensate for the lack of space for Dia so I think it would by a consultation with a prop making company, but reading TL's post that might not be the best advice.

I used FAL propellers a few years ago. The price was pretty reasonable compared with other suppliers. You may want to consider a four or five bladed prop if diameter is restricted. They offer a sizing service for only £5 ( refunded from purchase) which seems reasonable. http://falpropellers.co.uk/propeller-sizing-service

Edited by flatplane8

I'd spotted the pics of REGINALD on the Brinklow FB feed and hadn't realised it was your boat. I'm sure know they will do a grand job on it - just as they do on all boats. We couldn't fault the attention to detail given to WATERSNAIL whilst she was there. Can't offer any advice on the prop, other than to ask if Steve or Simon have given their opinion yet?