Who's frozen in then?

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

It would be fit for purpose to be on the canals when there was no ice, but unfit for purpose when there was ice. Presumably the folk shouting at the ice-breakers were attempting to stop them passing, or at least complaining vociferously when they did (ie when they did conduct themselves in an entirely legal and reasonable way).

Plenty of steel hull owners shout about sheets of ice taking their blacking off.

Phil

Plenty of steel hull owners shout about sheets of ice taking their blacking off.

Phil

Indeed. A'hm aginnit. We don't move in ice unless in some sort of dire straits. Not for our own sake, but for others'. Most boaters I've spoken to are similarly minded.

• Greenie 1

just a little iced taster....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XyaqBl-dt2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

who still can't work out how to post a video/////

Edited by matty40s

Indeed. A'hm aginnit. We don't move in ice unless in some sort of dire straits. Not for our own sake, but for others'. Most boaters I've spoken to are similarly minded.

So what damage am I supposed to have done considering I passed at tickover like I always do regardless of ice or not. I would suggest there was more ice abrasion from him rocking his boat.

I used to go icebreaking when I moored on the Broads....in a wooden dinghy, the boat was 12ft x 6 and made from 8mm marine ply with a hefty solid wood keel. I would run at the ice and the boat would slide up and over, breaking it by it's weight. Thickness of ice was around 1" normally. Did a diesel run in winter every week,the only issue I had was once a large chunk of sheet ice got jammed up between the outboard leg and the transom.

Phil

Your choice. But where I have a problem is when you (or someone else) try to inflict your/their choice on others.

That is your choice, but not mine. I have every right to cruise if I wish

I doubt it does much damage to moored boats but the noise inside them is horrendous. Bear this in mind if you decide to cruise early on the morning. You have every right to cruise, people have every right to consider you an inconsiderate, selfish specimen.

• Greenie 2

I am bit of a lazy bugger and don't normally set off until 10am and getting up as late as possible to make that start but if someone comes by at 5 or 6 in the morning and they do so boating considerately I have no problem with that at all. Like wise I have turned out at 10 in the evening to give a single hander a bit of help with the locks.

From a novices view point, being we spent last winter in the marina and only had to move as far as the pump out facility. This is our first winter on the canal, and our first experience of dealing with ice.

Yes, it was quite unnerving the first time a boat went past and the sounds the ice made when breaking away from the boat and on the canal. There is a GPR moored a boat length in front of us and another one on the off side a bit behind us, neither seem to be any worse for wear, though we have had to retie the one in front of us a couple of times as both front and back lines came loose on different occasions.

We have made the decision to stay where we are until it has melted; this decision was made based on our inexperience and the fact we don't "need" to move at present for fuel, water or pump out.

We have no issue at all with other people moving their boats whether it be for pleasure or need, and are quite appreciative that the work boats keep providing us with the necessities we need to continue to live as we choose and to do so without the need to keep a car.

I guess what I'm saying is, if we were that worried about what damage was being caused to our boat by others traversing through ice, we would sit in a marina for the winter and not have to worry about what others are doing. It's our choice to be on the cut, where we expect to experience other boaters boating year round boat.gif

Your choice. But where I have a problem is when you (or someone else) try to inflict your/their choice on others.

Incidentally I don't. It's just that I don't know many people who go boating in ice when it's not necessary. I don't approve of many things in life, but I don't object to their rights to do what they do! (Many of the things of which I disapprove would have been arrestable offences, a few years ago, and vice-versa!)

Go ahead and operate in ice. Just keep the speed down, as usual (in some cases).

Edited by Loafer

Thanks for the weather up date at Droitwich Sea Dog,unfortunatly we can't be there at the moment due to work commitments down south,but "Liz",as we affectionately call our NB,is all tucked up with an electric heater on board,I copied you original post and texted it to our neighbours opposite on Speckeled Hen,Alan & Judith who seem to think you are just up from us in the marina,we are coming up on the 8th for a couple of nights,so we might bump into each other,if we haven't already with out knowing it.

Edited by Nic&Ann