Hurricane. Compressor shorted

Bolanrex

Featured Posts

If this is a Hurricane diesel heater, the compressor is mounted in the stainless steel box of the boiler. You can access it by removing the screws holding the side plate on. The plate is the Left side if you are looking at the end with the window and hours counter. The compressor is a small diaphragm air pump, you should be able to tell if its working as it makes a not insubstantial noise when the burner cuts in; by comparison it's a lot noisier than the air fan that starts imediately the unit is switched on. The compressor starts a few seconds later.

By the way I am surprised the towel rails get hot if the compressor is not running, I would expect the burner to be shutdown. Could it be that the pump is not running so giving limited water flow?

Our compressor failed last year, it was running with a defective valve so giving very little air flow, the symptom then was a very smokey flame.

If you do not have instructions there is a downloadable manual on the Calcutts boats website.

Let me know how you get on, may be able to help more when you have investigated a bit further

Edited due to typo

Edited by jonesthenuke

Yes it's a diesel heater. The wifes got the screwdriver out

I would be interested how you get on as we also have a Hurricane heater. Also with regard to the noise the compressor makes has anyone successfully muffled this or is it something you just have to live with.

I would be interested how you get on as we also have a Hurricane heater. Also with regard to the noise the compressor makes has anyone successfully muffled this or is it something you just have to live with.

Since the exhaust is already muffled, I reckon all you can do is box the beast in with panels lined with Kingspan or similar sound absorbing foam. I find the Hurricane less noisy, and the noise more acceptable, than an Eberspacher, but there's no doubt that that compressor makes a bit of noise. Air compressors tend to, IME.

Since the exhaust is already muffled, I reckon all you can do is box the beast in with panels lined with Kingspan or similar sound absorbing foam. I find the Hurricane less noisy, and the noise more acceptable, than an Eberspacher, but there's no doubt that that compressor makes a bit of noise. Air compressors tend to, IME.

I have been thinking of removing the compressor and relocating it. May have to take into account the time to build up pressure in the air line, else the flame will splutter on start up. I will feed back if I try it. The other option is a quieter compressor, but I can only find a mains powered not a 12V one, anyone got any better ideas?