Pulled pork and sides

pquinn

Featured Posts

BBQ pulled pork with sides...

Get a joint of bacon,steep in water over night,change water regular to remove salt,

slap in to slow cooker on a bed of chopped onion,vine tomatoes,garlic a sweet pepper and what not,Sling a dose of BBQ sauce,Worcestershire,liquid smoke,chipotle Tabasco and what other gunk is lying around in the cupboard.Throw some spices of your choosing in ie.smoked paprika,chili powder etc.

Turn on,walk away for 4 or 5 hours.Come back,rip meat apart,burn fingers,scald tongue and let the flavors penetrate the meat on a low heat for a few more hours or while you prepare the sides.

POTATO SALAD

Boil small /new spudz ,chop roughly sling a bit of mayo,herbs, finely chopped shallot,spoon of Dijon mustard,two boiled eggs and black pepper in.Leave out what you dont have or do not want.

COLESLAW

Grate carrot,a little bit of onion and finely chop white cabbage.Mix in a bowl with mayo black pepper.Little bit of sugar if you like the American style,herbs if you so choose and sometimes i sling in some sesame seeds just to be all fancy.

MAC AND CHEESE

Boil up some macaroni or if you have none,use some penne [which i did],If you cant make a roux [which i cant be bothered to do] just slap the penne in to an oiled pyrex, lash in some grated sharp cheddar and any other cheese you like,a knob of butter and a fair glug of milk,cream if you dont mind the jogging afterwards.sling in the oven till nice and gooey looking.30 minutes or so.dont let the pasta over bake or its like trying to eat calf nuts.

serve together and enjoy with a bucket of beer,left overs go for sambo's the next day.

Although not the healthiest of meals, you can not bother with the mac and cheese and substitute half sour cream and half mayo for a slightly healthier option.

If you cant be bothered with the sides,just make the pulled pork and sling it between two slices of bread.

And that my dear was all she wrote.........

• Greenie 3

Is this passion for 'pulling' various chunks of meat a recent trendy restaurant thing? I'm sure the recipe above is delicious, but the 'pulled' description in my experience over the past year or so has very often been a sorry excuse for overcooked stringy meat!

(Sorry Paul, nothing personal)

Tend to agree with you - or a way to make a little poor quality meat go further (at overpriced food vendors).

L

Is this passion for 'pulling' various chunks of meat a recent trendy restaurant thing?

I've wondered this too. The term seems to have popped up out of nowhere very recently, now one sees it all over the place!

I think it's an American term. I also think it sounds unspeakably rude!!

:D

MtB

As Tom Kerrigan says "I use basic ingredients for my cooking" what he doesn't say is then I rip the punters off with high prices.

Great for the old bank account and the pension fund.

Whereas Worral Thompson would advise first nip down to Tesco for some cheese and wine .

I've wondered this too. The term seems to have popped up out of nowhere very recently, now one sees it all over the place!

I think it's an American term. I also think it sounds unspeakably rude!!

biggrin.png

MtB

I've caught some American food programmes recently on Food Network. Pulled meat seems to very popular over there and has been around for a long time.

It seems to be a way of serving meat that has been cooked very very slowly and so won't carve

It's actually a really good way of using cheaper bits of meat at home. I hate the sinfully inflated prices of trendy food in restaurants but have always enjoyed low and slow cooking of cheaper cuts at home.

If you have any bourbon lying about, a little dash in the BBQ sauce dosent hurt...

IT is an old American BBQ technique that is now trendy in Europe and is of course cheap meat cooked in a poor,southern share cropper style and does not tend to be served in fancy restaurants and if it was i wouldnt buy it because they are unlikely to have the equipment space or time to slow smoke it.so unless it is made in a restaurant with slow smokers,that smoke it overnight using the correct types of wood and seasonings/rubs,it means it was probably manufactured in an industrial estate using nasty and cheap flavorings.Neither would i buy it from a supermarket unless i knew something about the manufacturer.

The recipe is a cheap and simple way of copying the style at home with a slow cooker,nothing more or less so if you pull my pork.i shall rub your ribs,Baby!tongue.png .

It's actually a really good way of using cheaper bits of meat at home. I hate the sinfully inflated prices of trendy food in restaurants but have always enjoyed low and slow cooking of cheaper cuts at home.

If you have any bourbon lying about, a little dash in the BBQ sauce dosent hurt...

It isn't the food you are paying for when you eat in a restaurant. You are paying for the chef's time cooking it, the staff to serve it, and wash up asfter you. And commercial rent on the building. The materials cost of the actual food served barely even registers as background noise in running a restaurant.

MtB

I've caught some American food programmes recently on Food Network. Pulled meat seems to very popular over there and has been around for a long time.

It seems to be a way of serving meat that has been cooked very very slowly and so won't carve

And they don't use knifes and forks like us.

It isn't the food you are paying for when you eat in a restaurant. You are paying for the chef's time cooking it, the staff to serve it, and wash up asfter you. And commercial rent on the building. The materials cost of the actual food served barely even registers as background noise in running a restaurant.

MtB

Bit like the panel beater. its not how much it costs to hit it with a hammer, its knowing where to hit it.

Tend to agree with you - or a way to make a little poor quality meat go further (at overpriced food vendors).

L

I get 3 ham hocks for 6 quid and cook them in a very similar way to the OP's bacon joint.

One hock is plenty for a family meal for four plus sandwiches the next day and tastes just as good as any other bit of the pig.

Unfashionable does not necessarily mean poor quality but I just hope those hocks don't catch on and rise to "chic" prices like Lamb shanks have done.

• Greenie 2

I get 3 ham hocks for 6 quid and cook them in a very similar way to the OP's bacon joint.

One hock is plenty for a family meal for four plus sandwiches the next day and tastes just as good as any other bit of the pig.

Unfashionable does not necessarily mean poor quality but I just hope those hocks don't catch on and rise to "chic" prices like Lamb shanks have done.

Your right, lamb shanks are excellent, will try ham hocks, thanks for the tip.

L

When Dad was a deep sea trawlerman out of Grimsby he would often fetch home Monk fish and Cod roe as they where classed as rubbish .Now look at the prices mind you Cod is now more expensive than Salmon.

MtB

£3 for a coffee..

When Dad was a deep sea trawlerman out of Grimsby he would often fetch home Monk fish and Cod roe as they where classed as rubbish .Now look at the prices mind you Cod is now more expensive than Salmon.

What a coincidence, When I was a lad a fishing family use to stay all summer in a caravan at Fleggburgh in Norfolk and the man of the house was a skipper of a fishing boat and in the summer worked out of Gt Yarmouth.

He use to bring bags of fish home at the end of the trip, again the stuff that wasn't worth anything, ie. Monk Fish. I often had a bit to take home to mum. This was in 1965

Yes Carl, I buy the ham hocks to make broth with.. I cook them in the pressure cooker and its amazing how much meat you get from them for £2! Will try them in the slow cooker.

Lamb is ridiculous price.. I avoid on principle when they charge top dollar for neck and shoulder.

Have never done pulled pork... Will try it OP.

I buy pork hocks and roast them slowly- I slit the skin before cooking and score lightly- and remove from the hock at the end of cooking. Put the skin on a wire tray and turn the oven up to crisp it- really good crackling and tender meat. Agree with the comments above- they make a very good cheap meal- hope the prices don't increase- Our butchers has just started supplying them to a local restaurant

Pulled meat is a great way of using up leftovers from a Sunday roast- We had pulled brisket Monday. I make a sauce using a cheap bbq sauce mixed with a squeeze of sweet chilli ketchup, splash of rice vinegar, big spoon of mango chutney and some fresh ginger and a bit of honey to taste. To be honest- it's different every time I make it. If I have left over apple sauce - I add that when using pork

Mix all the sauce ingredients together, heat up and then pour over the left over meat. Cook on gas 3-4 until tender and its absorbed most of the sauce. Shred the meat and sauce, cook further if needed and serve in wraps, pittas or rolls. When you shred the meat it seems to go much further

Great tip from the OP about adding sesame seeds to the coleslaw- will try that.

It works with brisket, shoulder pork, lamb- and you can adjust the sauce ingredients to complement the meat

• 10 months later...

I made BBQ Pulled Pork yesterday.

It seems that out new slow cooker at home is far better suited to making pulled meats. Must be due to the higher power output of the new one compared to the one we have on the boat. Whilst the Tesco own branded one we have on the boat is ok and cooks meats nice it never really gets the meat to the stage where you can shred it with a fork.

The new one does. This pork should was left in the slow cooker from 7am to 6.30pm before being removed, shredded with a fork and coated in BBQ sauce

12239733_1048594871859820_55446977256954

We had pulled pork wraps last night on wholemeal wraps with loads of chopped vegetables and salad and we still have loads left for tonight.

for the economy-minded - Aldi has what they describe as 'cooking bacon' which appears to be the ends of the bacon side that goes through the slicer - about 1cm thick, £1.50 for 1kg.

we roast it in the oven for 15 minutes - it is better than any gammon steak I have ever tasted, cuts like butter.

eat it with Aldi's fromage potatoes. Yummy!