BMC 1.5 crankshaft oil leak

Bones

Featured Posts

Access, damaging the rubber damper in the pulley if you have to use force, the seal comes out of the inside of the timing cover so you need a gasket, check the timing chain while you are in there, breaking fingernails

Richard

I did think I would have to lift the engine or cut an access hole in the bulk head....

is it a pig of a job?

It's a pig of a job if you cannot get at the front of the engine like on my boat. If your engine is out and accessable then it is a straight forward (mostly) job. I have done one on an engine that I have sitting on a bench in my garage and it was reasonably simple. If I had to replace the seal on my boat engine then I would have to take the engine out or cut a hole through my shower cubical wall and through the metal bulk head behind that. Not something I would relish doing either way.

I have often wondered what would happen if I got stuck in an engine bay - perhaps we are about to find out

Richard

I think you'll find that young Bones has been there and got the Tee shirt, but will almost certainly return there

I will await the tale laugh.png

Edited by Proper Job

Thank you everyone.

I have 5 inches spare - so that's a good sign.

I have been for a class on how to do it from someone who has done it.

I have PJ's number on speed dial.

what could possibly go wrong!