Visitor Moorings at Brentford

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Whats the beer there. Fullers?

:cheers:

Yes, it's a free house as Tim says.

Always a good pint of Landlord and guest ales, quite often ESB as well. If you do get down to Brentford the Magpie and Crown is great for real ale. Four guests on rotation and over 150 bottled ales as well. It's opposite a laundrette and also sells the pump out cards. Avoid the washing machines in the services block by the visitor moorings.

The Weir pub is good grub but expensive, the Indian next to the Magpie is good (Sammy's) and their is a morrisons a bit further up.

If you arrive on a Sunday the market is good as well, 10-2pm.

If you time it right there is usually live music in the Brewery Tap, down by the Thames Lock. It's changed hands of late and has good fillers beer as well.

Enjoy.

• Greenie 1

Yes, it's a free house as Tim says.

Always a good pint of Landlord and guest ales, quite often ESB as well. If you do get down to Brentford the Magpie and Crown is great for real ale. Four guests on rotation and over 150 bottled ales as well. It's opposite a laundrette and also sells the pump out cards. Avoid the washing machines in the services block by the visitor moorings.

The Weir pub is good grub but expensive, the Indian next to the Magpie is good (Sammy's) and their is a morrisons a bit further up.

If you arrive on a Sunday the market is good as well, 10-2pm.

If you time it right there is usually live music in the Brewery Tap, down by the Thames Lock. It's changed hands of late and has good fillers beer as well.

Enjoy.

Thanks for all that info. Very useful.

Hello Mate, shifted up to Southall, got a sprog on the way so found a mooring with space. Still about the same distance from the Fox. Yes, saw Ralph the other day, I think he gave up the mooring at the same time as his retirement. Say hello if you see him next and give me a shout if you fancy a pint when your next about.

I can Think of a couple of moorings you have moved to that have a bit of garden and have often thought they look nice when I pass on my way to one of my regular pitches at yeading. congratulations with the baby and perhaps meet up sometime in the spring but you may have your hands full :) Will be at Brentford for the winter as I have taken the general towpath winter mooring this yea. Good luck.

Thanks for all that info. Very useful.

No probs, shout if you need specifics and give Dovetail a shout as well, he knows the area.

I can Think of a couple of moorings you have moved to that have a bit of garden and have often thought they look nice when I pass on my way to one of my regular pitches at yeading. congratulations with the baby and perhaps meet up sometime in the spring but you may have your hands full :) Will be at Brentford for the winter as I have taken the general towpath winter mooring this yea. Good luck.

Cheers, yes, pop in, from March onwards I may well need an excuse.. ;)

Hope we're not on Dovetail's winter mooring! It was the only space available. Let us know if we are and we'll move on. We got stuck in the silt from the Brent below the Hanwell flight, much use of the pole was needed to free us.

Is the gas gurgling from below going to stop ever?

Hope we're not on Dovetail's winter mooring! It was the only space available. Let us know if we are and we'll move on. We got stuck in the silt from the Brent below the Hanwell flight, much use of the pole was needed to free us.

Is the gas gurgling from below going to stop ever?

No my mooring is not one of the traditional winter moorings that cost an arm and a leg especially at Brentford but one of the new general towpath moorings and very reasonably priced. Although not supposed to be moored in the marina I am as I moved down for my safety and stupidly ran out of diesel and since getting my engine going it's been doing a few strange things so not keen to move until I have sorted it and hopefully tonight. From memory only one person has taken the winter moorings the past couple of years and he will be very excited with my appearance in the marina and keeping his peculiar very sharp. That stretch from Hanwell to Brentford is getting worse and worse only a matter of time and it will be non navigable, if you don't know it very easy to get stuck.

By the way out of interest does anyone know what is the deal with the new electric and water points on the visitor moorings looks like they may be turned into permanent moorings to me? It's hard to imaging they are providing them free?

I know the perm moorings opposite are switching to key pad bollards soon and I wonder if these ones will offer the same?

If my gut feeling is correct though, I have no doubt that with the new flats there will be some kind of boater based 'compromise'

It has been mentioned that it has something to do with the new flats and perhaps they are going to pay for the electric and water?? They perhaps don’t want noisy engines or smoky fires right under their £400,000 studio flats but will have to start handing out some electric heaters to stop the latter.

There appears to be nothing to stop anyone simply plugging in or filling up with water or even a card slot. They are the same as the water and electric points on the water point and I dont think they have ever worked so perhaps they will never be turned on. Time will tell.

Just one final bit there has been some really nice spray painted murals under the overhanging sheds makes the place look almost smart

The new Brentford visitor mooring electricity points do not appear to have card slots for payments. Perhaps they will follow the example of Llangollen Basin and have free electricity? Not a bad idea, if they can be protected from grabbing freeloaders hogging them for weeks and months on end!

I know if I lived in one of those new flats I would happily accept a tiny charge to provide the electricity in order to to avoid having to listen to droning generators.

I must get down at some point.

If there is a key pad then they will be smart meters. Boaters will have an account linked to a pin and be able to use leccy points where they exist. They were supposed to be doing this in the perm moorings ages ago.

There was no keypad that I could see when we came off the river last month. The keypads are only provided at permanent moorings as far as I know. For those visitor moorings that were shared with permanent moorings such as Cuckoo Wharf and Ocker Hill, visitors are barred from using the power hookups as CRT won't give us PINs. So you have the stupid situation at Ocker Hill of two bollards that are never likely to be used, at what cost?