Blackstone gear box linkages

Proper Job

Featured Posts

You absolutely don't want to copy what "Flamingo" has.

It's the crudest imaginable "push/pull" with far too much travel.

"Ahead" needs longer arms than I have (and I'm not short!) to reach far enough forwards into the cabin, and "reverse" is all the way out through the back doors.

One of the many things I'd like to change, so will be watching answers here with interest!

wh

You absolutely don't want to copy what "Flamingo" has.

It's the crudest imaginable "push/pull" with far too much travel.

"Ahead" needs longer arms than I have (and I'm not short!) to reach far enough forwards into the cabin, and "reverse" is all the way out through the back doors.

One of the many things I'd like to change, so will be watching answers here with interest!

What is the purpose of the bungy straps on Flamingo Alan??

When I moved Moondarra (from Brinklow as well incidentally) I could not get forward gear with its Blackstone box, and was struggling in a F8 gale crosswind.

I eventually got back on the pontoon and phoned the owner He described how to get forward as "stick the handle in the bathroom!!!" - I then saw the long rubber protective strip along the back cabin roof.

You need a reasonable length of lever on the gearbox actuator spindle to be able to exert sufficient pressure to operate the gearbox.

Not enough and it takes a lot of effort to operate. To much and you've got a huge travel on the push/pull

Someone must have worked out the best quadrant sizes and linkage mechanism to do it comfortably? We just don't want to reinvent the wheel (or lever ;) )

I'll nip,down and take a photo of Sulptor's shortly. I sometimes find it helps to put your foot on the handle when going ahead - there is an adjustment possible where the operator end of the push/pull fits over the rod from the lever so the 'throw' can be shortened but I wonder if that was common or not.

The adjustment mechanism in the back cabin

15744372559_33231028b9_z.jpg

The top of the lever in the engine room

15744387459_8827e64b14_z.jpg

The bottom of the lever in the engine room (sorry a bit dark)

15904602916_5855337742_z.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Ours was like Flamingo's but modified rather like Moominpapa's here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36397&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

The linkage lengths are different though - travel is halved to about two feet forward/reverse. It's not too heavy either - Starwoman can use it easily. PM me if you want pics and I will email them.

I can take some pics and post when I get back to the boat tonight….mines a 3G if that helps and is relatively easy to operate and the mech is quite straightforward.

Cheers

Gareth

That would be great. The more ideas the better thanks

Thanks to the other poster too :)

You need a reasonable length of lever on the gearbox actuator spindle to be able to exert sufficient pressure to operate the gearbox.

Not enough and it takes a lot of effort to operate. To much and you've got a huge travel on the push/pull

Someone must have worked out the best quadrant sizes and linkage mechanism to do it comfortably? We just don't want to reinvent the wheel (or lever wink.png )

Flamingo has no quadrants, levers or anything. The lever on the box is simply extended upwards to engine room roof, and is then simply pushed back and forwards by the gear rod in the back cabin.

Hence the long travel.

If I could convert it to a wheel without spending mega bucks I would. A wheel is correct for GUCCCo boas - push pull rodding is not IMO.

This is the gear handle....there is a total travel of 14 inches..7 inches from neutral to ahead or astern

FC64FE9D-1F18-44DC-84AF-3BFB53CFEAFA_zps

This is the top of the linkage in the engine room

200D23D6-978C-4681-8E80-FEE8F7D3BD5E_zps

The travel on the rod...

2FB31B90-A2DC-4E16-ADC7-445710F8289B_zps

The joint at the pivot point. This moves on a pivot and has a lock nut to stop it unscrewing. There is also a grease nipple. The brass bar slides up and down inside the black hex bar

2AE705D5-BC13-4C62-A2C5-2156940EA0FA_zps

CF3E8B80-2383-4D34-BD7A-D63B446DF8B5_zps

4A7B3BE3-964E-48C5-A384-38CFA60223CA_zps

Hope that makes sense .....sorry for the large images...trying to do it in a hurry on an iPad & iphone!

Ask if need more info

Gareth

[quote name="matty40s"

What is the purpose of the bungy straps on Flamingo Alan??

When I moved Moondarra (from Brinklow as well incidentally) I could not get forward gear with its Blackstone box, and was struggling in a F8 gale crosswind.

I eventually got back on the pontoon and phoned the owner He described how to get forward as "stick the handle in the bathroom!!!" - I then saw the long rubber protective strip along the back cabin roof.

yes matty

thats the way !! Long arm required :-)

Chas (ex moondarra)

If I could convert it to a wheel without spending mega bucks I would. A wheel is correct for GUCCCo boas - push pull rodding is not IMO.

You know it makes sense!

Tim Wood fitted the wheel to Fulbourne when he installed the National. I believe the gear wheel is a copy he had made using the wheel from his own boat as a pattern.

I've heard about the a batch of castings of gear wheels and the bracket that supports the bevel gears but no detail or actual evidence. Just boatyard chatter.

It's the bracket that's the hard thing really . I expect bevel gears could be found out of a scrap machine of some sort . Larger machine tools used to have suitable hand wheels big enough to use for a gear change.

Perhaps somebody could entice RLWP into this topic for an opinion/ cunning plan.

Edited by madcat

You know it makes sense!

Tim Wood fitted the wheel to Fulbourne when he installed the National. I believe the gear wheel is a copy he had made using the wheel from his own boat as a pattern.

I've heard about the a batch of castings of gear wheels and the bracket that supports the bevel gears but no detail or actual evidence. Just boatyard chatter.

It's the bracket that's the hard thing really . I expect bevel gears could be found out of a scrap machine of some sort . Larger machine tools used to have suitable hand wheels big enough to use for a gear change.

Perhaps somebody could entice RLWP into this topic for an opinion/ cunning plan.

Well I would be very interested in two full sets of everything, (except for the actual operating wheel, which I would only need one of,as that bit in Sickle is OK and present).

Richard already knows of the inadequacies of the rest of Sickle's set up.

I wonder how many people might wish to get involved in a hope that making a number might reduced the cost per unit?

I don't currently need a set but would be interested in finding out how feasible making a batch might be. I reckon a bit of asking about might be in order.

The size of the bevel gears will dictate the bracket dimensions so the plan starts there with finding an off the shelf set of similar dimensions to the originals if such a thing is possible.

I seem to recall that 2-3 years ago Chertsey (the forum member) posted some pictures of the linkage on Chertsey (the boat) which was fitted when the PD2 was installed, which connected the original gear wheel and shaft to a lever-operated gearbox. If I remember correctly it is about 90 degrees each way from neutral into gear.

I seem to recall that 2-3 years ago Chertsey (the forum member) posted some pictures of the linkage on Chertsey (the boat) which was fitted when the PD2 was installed, which connected the original gear wheel and shaft to a lever-operated gearbox. If I remember correctly it is about 90 degrees each way from neutral into gear.

Checking back I see that Sarah (Chertsey) emailed the photos to Alan, and he posted them here at http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48115&page=9#entry897359 .

The arrangement is very similar to that on Halsall which Alan also posted at http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48115&page=6#entry895402 .

So Alan, You know what you need for Flamingo...

So Alan, You know what you need for Flamingo...

Yes I know what I need - times two, in fact, as both boats need the same, (both have HA listers with the Blackstone box).

It is "just" a case of finding someone prepared to make them at a reasonable cost, (and I accept the "reasonable" would not be "cheap").

Edited by Lady Muck

Can I suggest that if you're thinking of having some made specifically for connection to lever operated gearboxes, that you go for a bigger reduction that the standard GU kit? I'm not sure, but from memory they were about 1.5:1 reduction though might have been 1:1. I can check later if you don't have one to hand.

Tim

Edited by Timleech