Fox Boats, Middle level, Great Ouse etc

gabble

Featured Posts

After a lifetime of narrow boating in the canals of the Midlands and the North, I'm contemplating hiring a boat from Fox boats and taking on the Middle level, Great Ouse and adjoining rivers.

The reports I've read of taking a narrow boat through Salters Lode etc sound a little daunting, and get me to wondering if the laid back lifestyle I appreciate when boating might be a little more strained.

Has anyone got any advice? I'm particularly interested in experience of out of the way moorings, we really like mooring in remote spots on the canals and wonder if this means the river experience perhaps isn't for us. we don't really want to spend every night nose to tail with other boats.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Anybody got experience of how busy it is likely to be down there in say August?

Gabble

I wouldn't worry about the transit from Salter's lode to Denver sluice. The lock keeper will let you through on the right tide and it's simply a matter of sharp right turn out of the lock and straight up to Denver where the lock will be open and waiting for you. Don't forget to call and book 24 hrs ahead. In August expect it to be busy in the tourist spots like Ely and St Ives.

As for remote out of the way moorings try the smaller rivers off the Gt Ouse. The Little Ouse, Wissey and Lark are very pretty and have several small moorings.

Edited to add link to online guide.

http://www.fenswaterways.com/FurtherInformation/NavigationGuides/tabid/66/Default.aspx#GreatOuse

Edited by Meggers

If you have a lifetime of boating experience, Salters Lode to Denver will be fine, don't worry about it. The lock keepers are great and will tell you all you need to know.

Compared to the midland and northern canals in August, the Middle Level and Great Ouse are almost deserted: far, far less traffic. Of course even though there are fewer boats, there are also fewer "formal" moorings, so in August you won't get such moorings to yourself. On the other hand there are miles and miles of bankside where you can moor up for a night, if you're happy to tie to a tree or use mudweights. Doing it like that, you might not be able to get ashore, so the existence of a ship's dog which needs daily emptying makes that strategy less appealing.

If you want real isolation, head to the southwest corner of the Middle Level: there you can have 10 miles of waterway to yourself any time.

MP.

The only down side is the time of the tide on the day you want to cross, so if you pick the boat up at say 3 pm it could be 6pm the next day before you get across. Its well worth while over nighting by The Crown and having an evening meal there http://www.thecrownlodgehotel.co.uk/

Why have a narrowboat? they are a bit antisocial in that area as they take up a lot of mooring space which can be very scarce in some places. Try looking at Bridge Boats in Ely. They have both narrowboats and river cruisers which are, in my opinion, much better suited to cruising the Great Ouse.

No relationship to them except that I buy my diesel there when I am in Ely.

Thanks guys, I can't believe how quick the responses are coming in.

Quinafloat - good thought re a cruiser, I think I'm just defaulting to a narrowboat because that is what we normally do. I'll look into this. Nothing booked yet.

Ditchcrawler - The Crown looks good.... And good point re the tide times.

Meggers - thanks for the reassurance, and yes the smaller rivers are definately intriguing to me. Which are your favourites?

Moominpapa - not got a dog to empty, but do have kids to exercise... How difficult is it to come by bankside moorings? Are there any restrictions, or is anywhere fair game if you can get into the side as per the canal?

Gabble

Thanks guys, I can't believe how quick the responses are coming in.

Quinafloat - good thought re a cruiser, I think I'm just defaulting to a narrowboat because that is what we normally do. I'll look into this. Nothing booked yet.

Ditchcrawler - The Crown looks good.... And good point re the tide times.

Meggers - thanks for the reassurance, and yes the smaller rivers are definately intriguing to me. Which are your favourites?

Moominpapa - not got a dog to empty, but do have kids to exercise... How difficult is it to come by bankside moorings? Are there any restrictions, or is anywhere fair game if you can get into the side as per the canal?

Gabble

In that case I would also go for a cruiser, I think that you can use GOBA moorings and you would also be able to get to Cambridge, not sure if as a hire boat you would have to pay extra. You would also get above Brandon, not something you can do in a Narrowboat.

We hired from Fox probably 7 years ago now........had a brilliant time. Got all the way to Cambridge and did manage to find a spot to moor...Ely is a gem. if you go do visit the Cathedral its splendid. We found adequate out of the way spots to moor as well.........not many but they are there, and we saw couple of boats emerge from the reeds in the mornings.

On a matter of the more mundane we did an on-line grocery shop to be delivered to the boatyard and the staff there even put it away for us! Just let them know if you decide to do that out of politeness.

I'd strongly advise you try it - as another long-time narrowboater the Fens are rather different, but well worth the trip.

Salters Lode to Denver is fine, the return trip is a little more exciting - my advice is to slow down and start to turn 5 boat lengths away. If you get it wrong these tyres will catch you. (photo by by'eck).

IMG_5353.jpg

In addition to all the advice above, I would recommend spending some time in Thetford Forest (walkable from Brandon), and also visiting Wicken Fen and the other Lodes.

Also, you need to plan shopping carefully. Good butcher in Hilgay on the Wissey....

There are quite a few photos on my blog from my first full year on the Fens.

Editied to add: we find this quite a good way of exercising the children. There may be byelaws against water-skiiing

img_2698_larger.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Kids can wobble down a gangplank much better than dogs. In theory you need the permission of the landowner to moor. Think canal offside, rather than towpath side. In practise, for overnight, I've never been challenged. Avoid habitation, don't light fires or trample crops or disturb livestock, and you can get away with most sensible places. An OS map that shows where public rights-of-way run along river banks is useful. Don't discount the formal moorings either. The GOBA ones, especially, are sometimes delightful. The ones up the Little Ouse are my favourite.

MP.

Salters Lode to Denver is fine, the return trip is a little more exciting - my advice is to slow down and start to turn 5 boat lengths away. If you get it wrong these tyres will catch you. (photo by by'eck).

The crucial bit of information you need for getting back into Slaters Lode is which way the current is flowing: if the tide is still flooding, you'll be going against it, and you have to get pretty much past the entrance before you turn, by the time you've turned the tide will have pushed you back to line up. If the tide is ebbing, it's easy: just get the bow into the slack water at the entrance and the current will swing the stern around, as it comes into line, power in. I've achieved all my best scores on an ebbing tide. (Paul, the lockie, gives marks out of ten, and is a very hard taskmaster!)

MP.

The crucial bit of information you need for getting back into Slaters Lode is which way the current is flowing: if the tide is still flooding, you'll be going against it, and you have to get pretty much past the entrance before you turn, by the time you've turned the tide will have pushed you back to line up. If the tide is ebbing, it's easy: just get the bow into the slack water at the entrance and the current will swing the stern around, as it comes into line, power in. I've achieved all my best scores on an ebbing tide. (Paul, the lockie, gives marks out of ten, and is a very hard taskmaster!)

MP.

My transit (which was indeed on an ebbing tide) was on Paul's day off, so I did not get an official score....

While I have also done a lot worse, this is how to do Salters Lode lock from Denver on a falling tide.

The day was distinctly breezy and it was before EA cleared the huge sandbank from the exit from Denver sluice, and I, and many others, got stuck on it.

If you have 15 minutes to waste it's may be worth a view, the first six minutes is just getting stuck and unstuck on the sandbank in case you think your computer has frozen.

Unfortunately you cannot see the Lockie and another boater heaving and straining at the back of the boat to get it free of the sand.

Lots more info, thanks all.

Quinafloat - just when I was starting to think it would be ok you post a video of getting stuck ;) oddly reassuring nevertheless.

Scholar Gypsy - still working through your blog, really useful stuff and great to see so many pictures

Gabble

Quinafloat - just when I was starting to think it would be ok you post a video of getting stuck wink.png oddly reassuring nevertheless.

Scholar Gypsy - still working through your blog, really useful stuff and great to see so many pictures

Gabble

You are very welcome. It's a pity that you can't take a narrow boat up the backs in the summer, but probably sensible.

Another good place to get stuck is about a mile south of Ely, on the right hand bank, where there appears to be a good mooring. Unfortunately there is some very soft silt there, and going full astern just pushed more of it under the boat. Luckily a passing Foxes boat pulled me off ...

Another good place to get stuck is about a mile south of Ely, on the right hand bank, where there appears to be a good mooring. Unfortunately there is some very soft silt there, and going full astern just pushed more of it under the boat.

The left hand bank thereabouts is no better. Just sayin....

MP.

Quinafloat - just when I was starting to think it would be ok you post a video of getting stuck wink.png oddly reassuring nevertheless.

Gabble

Getting stuck cost me 6 minutes, not really serious in the grand scheme of things. My longest unexpected delay whilst boating was over 12 weeks.

I took the video because I had told the Lockie that there was pretty much no way that I could turn the boat before the sandbank and I knew that my friends would enjoy seeing what it was like to get stuck. You probably noticed that my wife forced the boat over so that I could get the the back to start swinging round while I was still in the lock.

Last time I passed that way they had dredged the channel and there was absolutely no problem. A bit boring really.

We spent 5 years on the Middle levels at Bill Fen marina. First time through Salters Lode and Paul gave excellent advice on both journeys which I fully appreciated as somewhat nervous. I was inexperienced myself and it was the first proper trip out on the boat. He was on the bank when coming back onto the Middle Levels and signalled to me to make the turn in and he got it exactly right. A couple of years later I was coming back and scouring the bank for Paul. About 7or 8 people on the bank but no one signalling. I had to make my own decision, more by luck than judgement I got it perfectly right to a round of applause from a hotel boat crew!

As for moorings if you like peaceful and remote choose GOBA a moorings on the Ouse. You can attach to the bank almost anywhere on the Middle Levels though I would recommend a hook to trim the bank and a windbreak if you enjoy sun and a bbq. The wind always blows, the locals all tend to have one leg longer than the other so they can lean into it!

Too late if its booked for August so he needs the best advice to enjoy what he has

Had a look at the excellent photographs you posted 7 March 2013 - brings back memories of being stranded at Denver Sluice for months.