BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

We had our first and hopefully last weedhatch trip, on the Curled Wurlyy. We haven't been going fast at all, but sadly a heck of a lot of rubbish on this stretch, so like DaveP, we have had to change plans.

The good part is that it will now be flagged up, for volunteers to log down.

Enjoy the last leg of the trip everyone, we have had so much fun, and it was especially nice for me to visit, after moving off the cut here 24yrs ago to revisit :-)

Maybe if people were not tearing around you wouldn't stir up the bottom, we navigate this quite often drawing 3ft 3", rarely to we use the weedhatch. Theres plenty of depth.

Maybe its the boats following you that pick up the rubbish you stirred up.

• Greenie 1

Maybe if people were not tearing around you wouldn't stir up the bottom, we navigate this quite often drawing 3ft 3", rarely to we use the weedhatch. Theres plenty of depth.

Lawrence, if it's not CRT it's other boaters!!

The rubbish is far worse than last year and far worse than when I did the trip on Baldock I'm December.

Stuck at Factory locks with Joanna and 2 buttys plus Nuneaton and Brighton. The 2nd lock bottom gate won't open. Richard Parry is here. They are draining the first pound. Cheers Graham

We got stuck with the same problem last summer at this lock. It felt like the gate would open about 2" then be blocked by what felt like a huge brick. If its still the same problem, then, as I pointed out to the C&RT workmen that came out to rescue us, moving the top of the gate to the left by about 1" (when looking 'downhill') and fitting a wedge to keep it there, would solve it. Two hours later, after trying everything else, they tried my remedy - 5 minutes later we were through the lock. If its still the same problem, firstly they should have fixed it by now, secondly, if they haven't, then maybe they should talk to each other when coming out to do a temp fix. If its not the same problem, please ignore all this!!

I thoroughly enjoy following the posts on this challenge and wish I could have a go myself - well done to all concerned.

We got stuck with the same problem last summer at this lock. It felt like the gate would open about 2" then be blocked by what felt like a huge brick. If its still the same problem, then, as I pointed out to the C&RT workmen that came out to rescue us, moving the top of the gate to the left by about 1" (when looking 'downhill') and fitting a wedge to keep it there, would solve it. Two hours later, after trying everything else, they tried my remedy - 5 minutes later we were through the lock. If its still the same problem, firstly they should have fixed it by now, secondly, if they haven't, then maybe they should talk to each other when coming out to do a temp fix. If its not the same problem, please ignore all this!!

I thoroughly enjoy following the posts on this challenge and wish I could have a go myself - well done to all concerned.

Was fine at Easter when I took Scorpio and Leo through so I don't think it is the same problem as you had last year.

Lawrence, if it's not CRT it's other boaters!!

The rubbish is far worse than last year and far worse than when I did the trip on Baldock I'm December.

I was in Wolverhampton yesterday and the level was well down (a good 3-4"), I commented to the chap I was with that I would have expected Chasewater and Bradley to be feeding the top level with the amount of boats in the challenge but it does look like they were not. Anyhow well done to all those who got round.

Can I just add as an canal side resident along the Bradley Arm, its fantastic to see so many boats on the canal today, more than in both the previous years, since we moved in.

I think just about every boat in the challenge must have come past today.

Edited by MGSteve
  • Greenie 1