BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Really?

I went there a few times last year and the 'undergrowth' was, shall we say...thick?

There'll not exactly be a 'race' to the finish....

Last time Fulbourne did the Challenge we were overcome with weed half way up to Bradley, and had to abandon any attempt at getting up to the workshops.

Really?

I went there a few times last year and the 'undergrowth' was, shall we say...thick?

There'll not exactly be a 'race' to the finish....

The Bradley arm is OK if you go very slowly and don't over rev. The last job we did was a depth test up there for CRT and we went astern into the arm as far as Highfields wharf, the depth is fine, we draw 3ft 3" underway. But take it steady because there a lot of gung to stir up and you may find your return journey out of the arm a pain.

edit to add, beware of Highfields bridge, its flat concrete but has subsided a little on the Bradley side, its not obvious but you can wreck a exhaust or chimney easily.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Slow and steady for the Bradley arm.

There's never a race to the finish, just complicated discussions around which boat you followed and if they were holding you up

Richard

Edited by RLWP

The Bradley arm is OK if you go very slowly and don't over rev. The last job we did was a depth test up there for CRT and we went astern into the arm as far as Highfields wharf, the depth is fine, we draw 3ft 3" underway. But take it steady because there a lot of gung to stir up and you may find your return journey out of the arm a pain.

edit to add, beware of Highfields bridge, its flat concrete but has subsided a little on the Bradley side, its not obvious but you can wreck a exhaust or chimney easily.

I always find Pothouse to be the end of sensible depth...3'+ draft on more than one occasion too. After that it tends to be the shaft seeing more action than the gearbox...

Maybe BW are hoping the weekend will provide plenty of free weed clearing works in favour of paying contractors ??

Given I am boatless for this year's BCNC, where is the finish?

MtB

I might even join you for that.

Would love to go boating for the weekend but havnt had chance to make plans, and have likely left it too late at this point unless anyone has a last minute crew vacancy!?

Daniel

Hope you are all ready for a day of secret manoeuvres and jostling for the best position. The forecast looks reasonable and I am a little jealous that Team Halsall had to withdraw but as I said to Junior gives me chance to do all those bank holiday jobs that I really should be doing rather than enjoying myself.

Have a great weekend all those taking part.

Yup I'm just getting my glider ready for a competition this weekend but wondering if I made the right decision as feeling not a little jealous of the BCNC competitors. Have a good one, and surely the weather has to be better than last year!

I've just had a phone call from Allan Keeping Up, saying that as they passed Spon Lane Junction they noticed a sign saying navigation closed. We've had a look on the stoppages page but can't find any mention of it, so he suggested I post here to tell everyone to keep an eye out and keep checking stoppages.

See you later! cheers.gif

Tawny has broken down, been fixed, had a drink of oil, delivered a filer head, picked up crew and made the assault on Knowle

Nothing to report

Richard

Glad to hear it all going well. Just been down the weed hatch, nylon rope a swine to get off

21 locks (Wolverhampton) done with no real issues - a couple of pounds low of water and 1 trip down the weedhatch. Boat is full of diesel, water, batteries full, empty of rubbish. Dog's bladder and colon recently emptied. Moored at Broad Street basin, kettle on. All I have to do now is wait to pick up littleduck from the train station and then we shall relocate to our 'secret' start location.

Designated drivers for Team Poppycat set off this morning to the secret start location (hint - where is Ian's favouritest place on the BCN?). Crew will show up when our dinner's ready and wine is suitably chilled. Our route is defined this year by food and drink options, not points.