It's not won't move, but can't move

bigcol

Featured Posts

I'm just wondering

With more lack of water, how many folks are at moorings, maybe at their max allowed stay

And would like to move and carnt.

Been out and about and loved every Minute of it.

What with low levels, at Marsworth, if boats wanted to move they couldn't.

On the way down to pitstone, Slapton, all lovely places, but water levels dictating when to leave.

At Grove, and this morning on the lean,as in on the bottom. So couldn't leave if we wanted to.

Just seen workboat coming through the lock passing me and really really dragging the bottom

So much I thought they were dregging. There were times engine full revs, the noise from the bottom was bad, I thought they were going to crunch to a halt

So with these continues cruisers during the winter.

Paying for a mooring spot for the winter..

Surely with lock closures, ice, and no water,how could you move anyway??

It's water depth that dictates where and when folks can move on!

The level is up abit now!!

Met lovely cart workers, and really helpfull.

Folks here moaning about the 2 day moorings at the three locks

Keeping my mouth shut!! Lol

Edited by bigcol

Had the lawn outside cut this morning in the rain,

It is windy as hell here and has been pissing down here,since dark, just this second stopped.

Just seen a CRT contractor with a grass blower, walked from tescos, now walking back.

Nice lad, had a chat, not blowing nothing! Feel sorry for him being out on a day like this

Went and windy, achieving nothing!

Had the lawn outside cut this morning in the rain,

It is windy as hell here and has been pissing down here,since dark, just this second stopped.

Just seen a CRT contractor with a grass blower, walked from tescos, now walking back.

Nice lad, had a chat, not blowing nothing! Feel sorry for him being out on a day like this

Went and windy, achieving nothing!

oh your joking, they been to cut the grass?? I only just cleaned the boat, typical

I'd like to imagine that where boats cannot move due to low water, or too much water, ice, stoppages etc., CRT should be pretty good at knowing this is the case and making allowances for it. Most of the complaints about CRT enforcement in the forum seem to revolve around either the accuracy of their logging or the legal validity of their guidance notes, and I wouldn't want to be the first person to turn this into yet another topic about those.

Just in case any misunderstanding might arise, I guess it's wise when stranded by weather or other reasons beyond your control to (1) check that CRT are aware of the problem (if in doubt e-mail or even write?), (2) keep a log including reasons for not moving, and (3) be ready to move soon enough after the problem clears up.

Hopefully the rain in the last few days will help matters a little, but it may take more than that after a very dry September.

There is a difference between 'dragging the bottom' and not being able to move at all. In fact if a workboat came through dragging the bottom then I'd imagine that most other boats should be able to pass carefully.

If I genuinely couldn't move through lack of depth/water then I would contact CRT and get them to sort the water levels out to enable me to move.

If they couldn't do this and I was coming up to my time limit at a mooring then I would take the name of the person who told me that they couldn't sort the water level out and then contact the local enforcement team and inform them of the situation. At this point I would cease to care as I've done everything possible.

No doubt some people who don't like to move would do none of the above and use it as an excuse for overstaying and then wonder why they get a patrol notice.

Unless its the summit pound, there is no reason why you can't either contact CRT to inform them of the situation (they probably already know, since they monitor water levels at a significant number of places via SCADA) or if its not-too-hard to do yourself, run water down from the pound above.

I've only got iced in a couple of times, being generally a fairweather boater, but I've never had any hassle with the powers that be because of it. I've also got stuck for a fortnight when the Soar flooded a few years back - again, no trouble.

When we had that mega cold spell a few years ago I was iced in near Audlem for 7 weeks. I was smashing through the ice when I got stuck about a yard from the bank, which it where it stayed.. Waterways obviously didn't say a word, in fact they helped some boaters who were stuck and couldn't leave their boat and go home as I did.

Casp'

No

No doubt some people who don't like to move would do none of the above and use it as an excuse for overstaying and then wonder why they get a patrol notice.

Some people head to where they expect/know they'll get stuck with a stoppage.