Nottingham boat sales

muddywaters

Featured Posts

I'm sure someone posted something about this recently (within the last month) on here.

I've noticed on AD that there are boats being advertised for sale at Nottingham Castle Marina by a brokerage called 'David Mawby Ltd'. I've not heard of them before and seem to remember that usually boats located at Castle Marina used to be for sale under the banner of 'Nottingham Boat Sales'

No, I've heard the same, and not from pillocks lock.

Edit: oops, I mean Pillings,.....obviously.

Good of them to post this saw they also expressed concern about someone losing money. The same type of concern they had for costing each and every boater a share of £180k owed to CRT when they went into liquidation I guess.

junior, on 28 Sept 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

I'm sure someone posted something about this recently (within the last month) on here.

I've noticed on AD that there are boats being advertised for sale at Nottingham Castle Marina by a brokerage called 'David Mawby Ltd'. I've not heard of them before and seem to remember that usually boats located at Castle Marina used to be for sale under the banner of 'Nottingham Boat Sales'

Nottingham Boat Sales used to be at Nottingham Castle marina, but had a 'split up' with David Mawby Ltd (who owned the brokerage at Nottm Castle marina). Nottingham Boat Sales moved to Meadow Lane (on an Industrial area with River Trent frontage) and 'set up shop'.

When we came past in June they must have had around 20 boats in the yard, and certanly as many, if not more, on pontoons on the river.

A source has confirmed this as correct.

A friend of a friend who is waiting for his money on his boat sale has just been down to the Meadow Lane site and it is posted on the door with a number to call....

What a sorry state it looks like he may have lost all his money, many thousands.

The purchaser has paid his money many weeks ago and has the boat.

Who now is the Legal owner ? What a mess to sort out.

Feeling very sorry for them.

That being the case the company must be guilty under the client money rules and could be prosecuted surely. Individuals responsible for the misuse might not be able to hide behind the corporate veil. If they have used client money to fund the business that is at least theft and possibly fraudulent.

Edited by Traveller

A friend of a friend who is waiting for his money on his boat sale has just been down to the Meadow Lane site and it is posted on the door with a number to call....

What a sorry state it looks like he may have lost all his money, many thousands.

The purchaser has paid his money many weeks ago and has the boat.

Who now is the Legal owner ? What a mess to sort out.

Feeling very sorry for them.

How awful. Sometimes I'm not the most sympathetic person in the world, but I really feel for your friend.

Hi. Signed up to respond to this. I suspect there will be a lot of people in the same situation as above. Nottingham Boat Sales has the receivers in as stated on the office door. His other company Findlay Properties is still trading, which could prove tricky from the same site. NBS was mostly brokerage and secondhand, FP was mostly new builds. No idea if that makes any difference to people in situations like mentioned above.

I supose it depends on the small print of any brokerage agreement, but I would have thought that selling something you didn't own, and keeping the proceeds was theft/fraud. So surely the property still belongs to the original owner. Buy a stolen car, and it gets taken away from you, with no refund.

Awaits one of our legal experts..........

I supose it depends on the small print of any brokerage agreement, but I would have thought that selling something you didn't own, and keeping the proceeds was theft/fraud. So surely the property still belongs to the original owner. Buy a stolen car, and it gets taken away from you, with no refund.

Awaits one of our legal experts..........

I was going to say the same. No comfort to the purchaser of course, but I think if the vendor hasn't received the money (less the broker's commission) then the boat is still legally his. But the vendor's problem is now to obtain possession.

I think we may have had a lucky escape - one of our boats is there and the sale was in process but thankfully we hadn't signed anything over. If anyone can obtain for me the number stated on the door that would be appreciated.

So can you now do the deal with the same buyer without the need to pay any commission?