Ellesmere over the Mersey

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Whilst being nowhere near posh enough to own a Russell Newbery, we joined their club members for an organised trip from Ellesmere Port into Liverpool (as crew). It was amazing, there was about a dozen boats going, with the first having the pilot on board. I would think a pilot would be an essential - I'm not sure I would want to be out there on my own though, as there are times when you are a LONG way from the bank. We were told to creep up the south shore until we got to a certain point at which we had to turn to cross the Mersey. The tide was incredible and we watched the boats turn across it and immediately end up well behind us.

You will need a survey to get onto the MSC. I would talk to the RN Register - they were a very friendly and helpful group. The moment of arriving in Liverpool Docks was amazing though and a great time was had in Liverpool. Not one to be taken lightly, but well worth the trip

Edited by richardf

Has anyone done this trip and can point me where to enquire? I assume it would be with a pilot?

Just an idea at the moment...............

Ellesmere is in Shropshire on the Llangollen Canal. Ellesmere Port in in Cheshire on the Shropshire Union Canal and the Manchester Ship Canal!

Perhaps but there really was no need for such fierce pedanticism .................

hardly being pedantic TG they are 2 completely different places, on 2 completely different canals about 40 miles apart, they are linked in the fact Ellesmere port was in effect built as the "port" for Ellesmere and was previously called Netherpool

and i left as soon as my little legs could get me out of there

Thanks Andy and Richard for your positive input. We shall look into it but I dare-say if it means putting money into Peel Ports pockets then we may decide to give it a miss.

TG

Boring farts if you don't,

It is on my list of things to do, and that list involves money to Peel Holdings, Pilots for liverpool to Glasson Docks etc

hardly being pedantic TG they are 2 completely different places, on 2 completely different canals about 40 miles apart, they are linked in the fact Ellesmere port was in effect built as the "port" for Ellesmere and was previously called Netherpool

and i left as soon as my little legs could get me out of there

If I came across as 'fierce', it wasn't directed at TG in particular. Just that the same error crops up far too often among people who ought to know better, i.e. canal boating people.

Tim

Boring farts if you don't,

It is on my list of things to do, and that list involves money to Peel Holdings, Pilots for liverpool to Glasson Docks etc

Glasson Dock is is a long way from the Mersey,think you mean a pilot from Eastham Lock (on the MSC) to Brunswick Lock at Liverpool

Has anyone done this trip and can point me where to enquire? I assume it would be with a pilot?

Just an idea at the moment...............

Having 'done' the Bristol Channel while ago - just us and The Book Barge that day, each with our own pilot, I rang the Mersey pilot to ask about a crossing. They wanted £400 so we gave it a miss! As far as I can remember, the Bristol Channel pilot charged about £140 - worth every penny for a fantastic, exhilarating journey.

Having 'done' the Bristol Channel while ago - just us and The Book Barge that day, each with our own pilot, I rang the Mersey pilot to ask about a crossing. They wanted £400 so we gave it a miss! As far as I can remember, the Bristol Channel pilot charged about £140 - worth every penny for a fantastic, exhilarating journey.

At that price, I'm guessing it was the official Pilots?

There are experienced, qualified, people who would 'pilot' you across between Eastham and Brunswick for, I imagine, rather less than £400.

Tim

At that price, I'm guessing it was the official Pilots?

There are experienced, qualified, people who would 'pilot' you across between Eastham and Brunswick for, I imagine, rather less than £400.

Tim

It was indeed - how would I contact the other guys? Just a thought though, might it affect my insurance?

It was indeed - how would I contact the other guys? Just a thought though, might it affect my insurance?

If you're making a serious plan, PM me & I can give you a couple of names.

It's unlikely to affect your insurance, but that'll depend on exactly what its terms are. They ought to be pleased that you are acting responsibly in getting help & guidance from someone who knows the river (and, especially, how the weather can affect it). Always best to tell them if you are doing anything on the margins of your policy coverage.

Tim

Glasson Dock is is a long way from the Mersey,think you mean a pilot from Eastham Lock (on the MSC) to Brunswick Lock at Liverpool

No, I was being serious, the only way I can get Old Friends on to my home canal the Lancaster is via Glasson docks from Ellesmere (Port). - out to sea and back in again. It has been done, I may never get the chance weather wise, or have the bottle, but it's on my list.

No, I was being serious, the only way I can get Old Friends on to my home canal the Lancaster is via Glasson docks from Ellesmere (Port). - out to sea and back in again. It has been done, I may never get the chance weather wise, or have the bottle, but it's on my list.

How big is Old Friends then? I thought the Ribble Link locks were the same size as those on the Glasson Branch.