Up the GU or down

kremmen

Featured Posts

Hi. I have recently asked opinions about doing a loop which would be effectively a ring going down the Thames and up the Gu returning down the Oxford.

I can't do this until my seasonal job finishes so I can't leave Newbury until the 5th October. Due to closures I would need to be back by 2nd of November so I need to be reasonably swift.

I have been talking to boaters on the Thames and most seem to agree I should go down the Thames but I have had some warnings that due to the fact that many bottom gates on the GU need to be left open and I am single handed it will take quite a bit longer.

Can anyone advise of their experiences?

Thanks

Paul

Hi. I have recently asked opinions about doing a loop which would be effectively a ring going down the Thames and up the Gu returning down the Oxford.

I can't do this until my seasonal job finishes so I can't leave Newbury until the 5th October. Due to closures I would need to be back by 2nd of November so I need to be reasonably swift.

I have been talking to boaters on the Thames and most seem to agree I should go down the Thames but I have had some warnings that due to the fact that many bottom gates on the GU need to be left open and I am single handed it will take quite a bit longer.

Can anyone advise of their experiences?

Thanks

Paul

There are no locks on the GU where the gates have to be left open, there are however a few locks that have to be left empty where just raising a paddle suffices.

Tim

I always leave the gates open on the lower GU, on all the sections that are river fed. The point of closing gates is to save water and when there is more than enough why make unnecessary work for yourself and others?

OP: You are talking about the Thames Ring - it can be done in ten days if you really want to push it. And there is nothing on it that is especially challenging for a single-hander.

There are no locks on the GU where the gates have to be left open, there are however a few locks that have to be left empty where just raising a paddle suffices.

Tim

When I came up through in April, several locks between hemel and tring had signs stating leave open. Has that changed now?

Nothing has changed, its just that it states 'raise a paddle and leave the lock empty' as opposed to 'leave gates open'.

I always leave the gates open on the lower GU, on all the sections that are river fed. The point of closing gates is to save water and when there is more than enough why make unnecessary work for yourself and others?

It makes a lot more work for me when I arrive at the lock, travelling in the same direction, that has just been left with the gates open.

It makes a lot more work for me when I arrive at the lock, travelling in the same direction, that has just been left with the gates open.

And a lot less when it is the other way around. And if you leave the lock as you found it then it creates no extra work for you.

It has all been done before, the maths says that leaving gates open saves work for everyone.

Edited by WJM

You are leaving this a bit late, if you have any delays then you may well start to hit the stoppages. Abingdon closes on the 3rd November? As the year goes on there is an increased risk of the Thames going on to yellow or red boards. In view of possible increased flows, and if you are not experienced at Rivers, then I would go up the Thames. Going up is easier and safer (though several forum members would probably say the opposite). if it rains hard then going down through Osney is always the first thing to become difficult. Also going up the Thames avoids the slightly tricky turn into Brentford.

............Dave

Why not add to the excitement and do the tidal Thames down to Limehouse at the same time, or perhaps easier to join the River at Limehouse and go up the Thames. ( I am told getting into Limehouse on a fast ebb tide can be a bit tricky).

Have a great trip!

The last two posts highlights my dilemma :-

I have to work and cant get on the boat any earlier so although on paper I have plenty of time I know I could get stuck . ( I feel sure that my colleagues would not be too happy if I rocked up at a closed lock and said.....see you in a few months although I know it happens during red boards ).

It might be nice to add an extra dimension on the tidal but maybe not with my perceived timetable and the fact this is my 1st long distance single handed tour.

Also got closure at Newbury on 3rd November adds to my thoughts.

Paul

Has this winter's stoppages list been published? I can find it.

About 2 weeks ago. I got this email, and think the info is here.

"Hello

Following our two periods of public consultation, we have reviewed feedback and

further refined our work plans.

The proposed winter notices are now finalised and information is available

within our main notices pages.

If we make any further changes to winter closures, these will be shown on our

website and email alerts will be sent out to relevant subscribers.

To view all our notices please go to the notices section of our website.

29 August 2014"

Just to make it easy... not... There isn't one list. You have to search each canal with dates. Awful.

Paul

To ease this, I would suggest:

• try the maps.
  • or select all the canals you need and do one search
  • or download the whole list into Excel and then filter the rows you want from the 170 winter stoppages.

To ease this, I would suggest:

• or download the whole list into Excel and then filter the rows you want from the 170 winter stoppages.

Excel! Better to use a database to do database job.

Shame on Microsoft - forcing a generation of computer users to use a calculator to the job of a filing cabinet!

Edited by WJM

Excel! Better to use a database to do database job.

Shame on Microsoft - forcing a generation of computer users to use a calculator to the job of a filing cabinet!

Fair point, although strictly the download is CSV, so you can use what you like to process and/or represent the data ....

I've been up and down the Southern GU several times single handed and never found it 'hard', in fact it is one of my favourite sections of canal. Drawing a bottom paddle once you have closed the top gates really isn't much work and adds seconds to the journey.

Make sure you don't go in '3 Locks' at Soulbury.

OP: You are talking about the Thames Ring - it can be done in ten days if you really want to push it. And there is nothing on it that is especially challenging for a single-hander.

You still shouldn't leave the gates open, river fed or not, they are mainly piddling small chalk streams towards the summit so not that much of a feed to keep the levels up. Also some of the gates leak badly. Rising Sun is particularly bad at the moment. If you don't close the top gates the short pound between Rising Sun and Raven's Lane is empty in no time. Don't know yet when the Trust is going to fix it.