Not a Nice Sight

mark99

Featured Posts

Martin, I take your point about the boat possibly having been someone's home; but homes, unlike lives, can be replaced or repaired by the insurance company.

Of course and I know you have first hand experience, but still not a time and place for such a crass comment.

The guy from Wilts Fire and Rescue who did a fire safety check when we were on the K&A was blunt about trying to fight a narrowboat fire:

"Get out, stay out, call us out."

If the fire is anything more than a trivial smouldering, thanks to all varnished wood you have maybe two minutes to escape before the interior is a giant killing box full of toxic smoke and flame.

• Greenie 1

I don't consider him an ignoramus - just someone who made a well-meaning but misplaced attempt at a joke. There was, I'm sure, no malice intended.

Oh, and there is no battle.

Martin, I take your point about the boat possibly having been someone's home; but homes, unlike lives, can be replaced or repaired by the insurance company.

...assuming it's not insured 3rd party only. I know several boaters who have had to do this for cost reasons.

The guy from Wilts Fire and Rescue who did a fire safety check when we were on the K&A was blunt about trying to fight a narrowboat fire:

"Get out, stay out, call us out."

If the fire is anything more than a trivial smouldering, thanks to all varnished wood you have maybe two minutes to escape before the interior is a giant killing box full of toxic smoke and flame.

EXACTLY!!

And a fire extinguisher is only there to ensure that you can make a safe way out.

This is a strange forum full of uptight, angry, and abusive members, with no sense of humour, usually the same suspects that scan the posts waiting to be offended, I don't know another forum like it, which is strange for a forum about a relaxing, and peace full leisure activity.

Its just too depressing.

I'm not going to bother anymore, you can cancel my account.

May we have that in writing?

Oh, it already is. Ta.

I am not sure what your problem is, but it is probably best treated elsewhere.

And so speaks the group mind. If you don't toe the line, we're just as glad with you gone.

There seems to be an unhealthy (In my opinion) tendency to groupthink in this forum, with an intolerance of incomers that some small villages would be proud of.

• Greenie 3

Just below Lot Mead nr Ricky.

Totally burned out only a stove, couple of gas bottles, chimney and a bit of the metallic bow left.

The rest of wood, fibreglass burned to nothing.

No one on board.

Hi a very sad event indeed. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

When did this happen? I can't see anything in the Watford Observer?

If you have any further information you can PM or email me.

Kind regards

Rob

Inappropriate language

I have known Saxplayer for many years and am sure his statement was humour that did not convey by the spoken word.

As a lifeboatman I'm sure he has saved more lives in very dangerous conditions than most of us.

Edited by Theo

And so speaks the group mind. If you don't toe the line, we're just as glad with you gone.

I believe that I think for myself, but I'm pleased that you agree. Newcomers are always welcome on CWF, but if they accuse everyone else of being "uptight, angry and abusive" and , worse still, of having no sense of humour - CWF is full of humour almost every day - then it suggests that they are not willing to tolerate other people's ways and points of view. Our fish-finger-flinging colleague took no part at all in this thread until he burst in and told all the participants what nasty rotters they were. Evidently he does not understand, or will not accept, the concept of a DISCUSSION forum, which only works if people don't all have the same point of view.

I am not suggesting that we are all saints. I have seen unpleasantness on here recently, but it has generally been between two people who were having a frank, and sometimes witty, exchange of views, without dragging other people into their argument.

Your becoming a class act, though not of the variety kind....

You and a few others are making this forum a nasty place.

Likewise, I'm sure. What brought that on? I don't think that I have ever said anything intended to "make this forum a nasty place". Perhaps people trying to pick arguments where none exist could have that effect though, unwittingly or otherwise.

But thank you for the "class act" compliment.

These things do no good for us newbies still looking to buy there first boat, in the last week across 3 forums ive seen

Boat fires (accidental or blatant vandalism)

Boats being vandalised on purpose

Boats being broken into, sometimes even attempted while the owner(s) are on board

Idiots undoing peoples ropes in the night so you wake up and your boats halfway across the cut

Boats getting stuck in locks and capsizing/sinking, either on the cill or because of catching on loose brickwork as the boats gone up/down

Boats/boat owners being shot at or pelted with rocks etc whilst cruising

Seems fun if you like to live dangerous lol

So how safe is the Ashby Canal ? lol

These things do no good for us newbies still looking to buy there first boat, in the last week across 3 forums ive seen

Boat fires (accidental or blatant vandalism)

Boats being vandalised on purpose

Boats being broken into, sometimes even attempted while the owner(s) are on board

Idiots undoing peoples ropes in the night so you wake up and your boats halfway across the cut

Boats getting stuck in locks and capsizing/sinking, either on the cill or because of catching on loose brickwork as the boats gone up/down

Boats/boat owners being shot at or pelted with rocks etc whilst cruising

Seems fun if you like to live dangerous lol

So how safe is the Ashby Canal ? lol

Sort of reflects real life ashore

1.People getting mugged

2.Houses getting broken into

Actually I can't be bothered to carry the list on but you get the drift.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

The Ashby. I doubt it is deep enough to sink. That's a bonus.

We recently lost our dog and do feel a little vulnerable without the early warning system that he offered free of charge.

But so far no incidents to speak of since moving aboard 30th June.

Martyn

There seems to be an unhealthy (In my opinion) tendency to groupthink in this forum, with an intolerance of incomers that some small villages would be proud of.

Ah yes..."The group mind".

If people on the forum agree then they are engaging in "groupthink" and if they disagree they are being argumentative.

What a load of old tosh!

"Groupthink" (aka "consensus") is only a bad thing if you resent being in the minority and want to whine about everybody getting at you.

Disagreement is only a bad thing if you are so masochistic you force yourself to read it in order to whine about how horrible everybody is to each other.

Why is your intolerance of folk agreeing with each other any more healthy than them reaching a consensus?

Whys everyone so uptight on here and got a short fuse, petty arguments everywhere lol, and i thought the boating life was meant to be relaxed and friendly, i guess people are friendlier on the cut than on the net lol

Nobody is "uptight".

This is a discussion forum where people feel at liberty to disagree.

If you want to witness "uptight" then go to Just Canals where any attempt at lively discussion is shot down immediately by a mod.

The fact that you are able to be mildly offended and have disagreements is proof of the lack of "uptightedness" of the forum and is far more relaxed than an atmosphere of enforced mutual backslapping.

• Greenie 2

The fact that you are able to be mildly offended and have disagreements is proof of the lack of "uptightedness" of the forum and is far more relaxed than an atmosphere of enforced mutual backslapping.

Absolutely right, old bean.

Whoops, I'm not relaxed enough.