Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Hi All

Names/pictures of boats that ran engines and/or made excessive smoke were often passed on by many residents impacted by the inconsiderate behaviours of just a few. C&RT seem powerless to do anything and being penniless seem to have very little funds available anyway. I'd love it if they could take action against the few who spoiled if for all. Especially as we're not trying to inflict inconvenience on all boaters, far from it - but can you suggest how this is done and for it to be effective? The solution to move a mere 30metres ( ie 4 boat lengths) further along the towpath would in this case appear to be OK and cause little real inconvenience..... all that residents wanted resolved was the inconsiderate behaviours - the implemented solutions were devised/suggested/agreed by others as the best way of ensuring peaceful co-existence.

You mention a red herring...... we generally heat our homes with electric storage heaters which are not the most controllable source of heat especially in Spring and Autumn and there are often times when a window needs to be opened or a bedroom/bathroom aired. For those that work this means that it can be left open all day or in an evening upon return from work. This seems to coincide when a log burner or stove is being used on a boat.

If not sure why are you at a loss on the type of noise? The constant drone of an engine running for hours on end is extremely bothersome. Completely different to speach or bird noise. I know this is an opinion shared by many neighbours and not necessarily all people but it is so easily avoided - is there any need to run an engine for hours on end directly outside around 50 living rooms and 75 bedrooms?

Clearly there are many diverse views and perhaps sometimes a working compromise is best all round? - if we all agreed on everything then life would be extremely dull. Perhaps we're never going to completely agree but I'm hoping that the consultative rather than combatative approach taken would mean that we could go for a glass or two at the Boathouse/Fannys/Dont Tell Titus and have a good natured debate? maybe end up have a smile?

Who is paying for the new moorings?  CRT?  Who payed for the current visitor moorings? CRT?  So due to some resisdents complaints we the boater are paying twice for visitor mooring facilities that actually doesn’t benefit us but Saltaire itself!.   This seems really unfair to us boaters that stump up a lot of CRT’s funding and we believe Saltaire should partly fund the upkeep of the canal.

I would love to go to Fanny’s but unfortunately I would have to move my boat at 6pm as I can’t stay there overnight and I don’t particular want to move my boat when I’ve had a few.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

22 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Personally I think stopping at Saltaire for 2 or 3 hours is more than sufficient. We spent a very long week there one afternoon. After walking round looking at the buildings, which interested us for the social/industrial history, having the worst lunch and coffee we've ever had on the "American Diner" widebeam (also known as the Icecream Boat, I think), we looked round the very expensive shops and the Hockney Gallery in the mill, had an expensive coffee and tasteless piece of cake in one of the cafes, then sat by the canal waiting till it was time to get the coach home. 

As I said above, The Mill especially which should be one of Saltaires greatest assist is a big let down for visitors (although the lass at the jewellery area is very cute).   Although only 2-3ht visit, it has some nice evening meal areas, however as you can’t stay overnight you move on.  

One of the other things is that you prob just come from Rodley or the top of the 5 rise and get there late in the afternoon.  As you can’t stop overnight you just continue on!

3 minutes ago, leeco said:

I was at saltaire the other week and moored next to that cricket pitch 

This isn’t a particular good area of Saltaire to moor in due to some of the “locals”.   (As well as it been shallow in the majority of places around here!)

The area I would suggest to moor if ever visiting the area would still be at Ashley Lane, this is just before Saltaire (Leeds side), and is on the opposite side of the tow path.  

The area around is business only (no nosey residents looking down on you!) so it’s quiet on an evening/weekend and you get the area to yourself, which has benches to sit at.   It’s also very close to the Mill, even tho it has poor shops look at the building itself, although the public area is only a fraction of the building.  (It’s a shame they don’t have tours of the building itself that are normally not open to the public - the basement/reservoir n roof area area are very interesting to see.)  

Ashley Lane is also close to Shipley where you have a decent size Asda and aagrah.  Fannys and The Hop in Saltaire are also a short walk away as well.

Shipley and Saltaire train stations are also close by,

Unfor only about 3 boats can moor.

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The area I would suggest to moor if ever visiting the area would still be at Ashley Lane, this is just before Saltaire (Leeds side), and is on the opposite side of the tow path.  

The area around is business only (no nosey residents looking down on you!) so it’s quiet on an evening/weekend and you get the area to yourself, which has benches to sit at.   It’s also very close to the Mill, even tho it has poor shops look at the building itself, although the public area is only a fraction of the building.  (It’s a shame they don’t have tours of the building itself that are normally not open to the public - the basement/reservoir n roof area area are very interesting to see.)  

Ashley Lane is also close to Shipley where you have a decent size Asda and aagrah.  Fannys and The Hop in Saltaire are also a short walk away as well.

Shipley and Saltaire train stations are also close by,

Unfor only about 3 boats can moor.

Agree totally about Ashley Lane. Great moorings. But, as you quite rightly point out there is only room for three boats. More often than not (in summer) they are usually full. Another four or five moorings there would be ideal. 

4 hours ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Hi All

You mention a red herring...... we generally heat our homes with electric storage heaters which are not the most controllable source of heat especially in Spring and Autumn and there are often times when a window needs to be opened or a bedroom/bathroom aired. For those that work this means that it can be left open all day or in an evening upon return from work. This seems to coincide when a log burner or stove is being used on a boat.

If not sure why are you at a loss on the type of noise? The constant drone of an engine running for hours on end is extremely bothersome. Completely different to speach or bird noise. I know this is an opinion shared by many neighbours and not necessarily all people but it is so easily avoided - is there any need to run an engine for hours on end directly outside around 50 living rooms and 75 bedrooms?

Clearly there are many diverse views and perhaps sometimes a working compromise is best all round? - if we all agreed on everything then life would be extremely dull. Perhaps we're never going to completely agree but I'm hoping that the consultative rather than combatative approach taken would mean that we could go for a glass or two at the Boathouse/Fannys/Dont Tell Titus and have a good natured debate? maybe end up have a smile?

The boats are running their engines to generate electricity, to charge batteries, and to supply hot water.

A solution would be for electric hook up points to be created, most boats have shore lines fitted, and immersion heaters for hot water.  Then there would be no need for engines to run, except for arrival, and leaving.  

As the flats have an electrical supply suitable for Storage heaters, supplying 6-8 boat points should not be a problem.  Maybe even slightly subsidised? 

Boat stoves, a request that only smokeless fuel is burnt, would not be unreasonable.  It must be accepted that some smoke is created, on lighting, and reloading the stoves.

Equally boaters must accept, any noise etc. from the flats is normal high density living.

Bod

Being realistic, if the visitor moorings were made 24hr there should be no real need to run the engine at all. The batteries should be sufficiently charged and the water hot enough from sailing into there (assuming you've not just cruised from round the corner).

12 hours ago, rgreg said:

Being realistic, if the visitor moorings were made 24hr there should be no real need to run the engine at all. The batteries should be sufficiently charged and the water hot enough from sailing into there (assuming you've not just cruised from round the corner).

I agree if the moorings were 24 or 48hr that would have reduced the need to run a generator/engine.  It just shouts to me that the resisdents didn’t want the boats there at all and didn’t try any other options like reduced hours, no engine/generator/stove signs like they have in other residential areas.

• Greenie 1

Hi Bearboating

the new moorings are an extension to the existing visitor moorings but on the grass bank - they are just before the apartments when travelling from Shipley into Saltaire. There seems to be room for 4 boats - new rings have been added. The mooring area was dredged late Spring and the rings added to the grass bank.

I walked down today and had a chat with the volunteers. They are putting in 12 moorings in total which start at the end of the day mooring and follow the towpath towards Shipley. The new moorings are 14 days.

I did ask if any provision for mooring will be made from Victoria Rd Bridge towards Hirst Lock but as far as anyone knew no plans at present.

They have also applied to cut back the trees on the offside which are very overgrown and will obstruct navigation when the moorings are in use. Hopefully no one will object to that. 

IMG_3620.JPG

Not read all of this but does sound as though, at laSt, there's some sense and some overnight moorings for visiting Saltaire. Not been since 2006 when the new rings were put in, then immediately followed by the ban after 6pm-which we only saw as we left the boat to go and eat out. Lack of moorings generally on that stretch hasn't encouraged us to return. In fact we only found out about the new rings when I mentioned to a lockie how we were finding it tricky trying to moor. 

Hi All/Bearboating/Robbo

much appreciate the picture.

The trees were last cleared a few years ago - completely cut back to zero - to allow work on the buildings adjacent to the canal. The precedent has therefore been set?. Given that they seem to grow back if anyone does object then they'll soon grow back!.

Robbo, with these additonal moorings you can have your pints at Fanny's Ale House and stay the night! As I've offered - First couple on me.

On 28/08/2017 at 10:58, Mr Grumpy said:

The mooring area was dredged late Spring and the rings added to the grass bank.

Not sure about the dredging, doesn’t to have looked to be have been touched for a good part of the new mooring.  There's still large stones about a foot down nearest the Shipley side

82E990F9-8691-43E6-AF87-7F538C537B3A.jpeg.a748472e64d8160e3f2d98ad10c3f67e.jpeg

On 26/08/2017 at 14:01, Pluto said:

At last weekend's open day at Apperley Bridge, the blacksmith made a few new L&LC style mooring rings for Saltaire. As seen in the photo of Clayton-le-Moors, these rings have a movable cross bar. To tie up, all you do is double the mooring line, push the loop through the ring and over the cross piece, and then tie back the loose end onto the boat. You do not need to feed the whole line through the ring, and it makes it much easier and quicker to tie up. Hopefully, more will be installed over time, retaining a useful 'heritage' feature.

Clayton 557.jpg

On 29/08/2017 at 21:44, bearBOATING said:

IMG_3620.JPG

Most of the rings don't have these cross bars on for mooring, seems daft if your going to bring a bit of heritage to it they could have done all of them!

On 30/08/2017 at 10:05, Mr Grumpy said:

Robbo, with these additonal moorings you can have your pints at Fanny's Ale House and stay the night! As I've offered - First couple on me.

I'll take you up on that one day.   I'll still moor at Ashley Lane tho. ;)

Edited by Robbo

On a more serious note, with these new moorings it would be nice if the current moorings were made into 24hours (with no engine/generator, solid fuel stoves been allowed) and if part of the moorings were given over for a water point, there is none within a good cruise so it will be more welcomed!

Edited by Robbo

On 27/08/2017 at 17:00, Robbo said:

Quoting myself, here are some photos of Salts Mill for people that are intested, a good majority from where the public can't visit.. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjtxRsJo

You can't even moor up properly on these rings.

IMG_0589.JPG.0e827ea365aa012e6ec2b0844537b00f.JPG

im here now and 4 boats are here.

nobody has fired up a generator or got fires pumping smoke out.

just remember you residents that Titus built his town around the canal that was already there. 

Perfect moorings that we can't use because of the odd boater.

Shame as it's such a nice place and most people on boats are old and have plenty of spare money who might just sail right past this place. No wonder the don't tell Titus bar was empty 

On 31/08/2017 at 14:06, Robbo said:

Most of the rings don't have these cross bars on for mooring, seems daft if your going to bring a bit of heritage to it they could have done all of them!

The ones that were done were made at the Apperley Bridge open day, so not enough time to alter all the rings used. It is a start though, and ensured that the blacksmith's demonstration at Apperley Bridge did produce something of use.