Visitor moorings at Saltaire

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

Just out of interest does anyone know the reason why no overnight mooring is allowed? The flats are behind a wall, and a ban on running engines whilst moored would solve any noise issues. It is a great place to spend a day or two, but the overnight visitors moorings close enough to walk are in Shipley, and then there is only room for three boats. I would have though a heritage centre like Saltaire would be enhanced by a few boats moored on the canal.

afaik there's a Mr grumpy bought a flat then demanded the canal be shut because he doesn't like boats. apologies for slight exaggeration but C&RT shouldn't kowtow to these little people.

Yes it annoys us as well and our boat is named after Titus Salt, we usually moor nearer Hirstwood lock but that is also because of the shallow water nearer Saltaire,

I think the no overnight moorings thing is purely down to the occupants of the flats but it's the usual who was here first, the canal or the flats

Money talks

Dave

Just out of interest does anyone know the reason why no overnight mooring is allowed? The flats are behind a wall, and a ban on running engines whilst moored would solve any noise issues. It is a great place to spend a day or two, but the overnight visitors moorings close enough to walk are in Shipley, and then there is only room for three boats. I would have though a heritage centre like Saltaire would be enhanced by a few boats moored on the canal.

It only takes a small number of boaters to ignore notices and people will rightly continue to complain. It does not matter if it's boaters being noisy, anglers leaving rubbish or cyclists tearing along the towpath, there's a few inconsiderate people who seem unable to consider others.

Edited by mango

It has been mentioned on another thread that CRT don't enforce this, the notice just being put there to placate one or more of the flat dwellers who purchased a flat next to the canal not realising that it would have boats on it and that boaters might just want to visit a very pleasant town and bring some money into the place.

We have moored here overnight on a couple of occaisions quite happily as have quite a few others. No one has ever said anything to us. My nephew lived in one of the flats and said the quiet boats were the best. Maybe the grumpy resident has moved on now.

I must have been busy bending down to tie mooring ropes so I have never spotted the signs. Note to self....must try Specsavers soon for yet another free eyesight test.

The riverside park and pub are both worth a look after you have wandered around the village and mill. Try and wander inside the church too...its impressive.

It has been mentioned on another thread that CRT don't enforce this, the notice just being put there to placate one or more of the flat dwellers who purchased a flat next to the canal not realising that it would have boats on it and that boaters might just want to visit a very pleasant town and bring some money into the place.

But surely the point is the CaRT should enforce their notices (or remove them).

We can't pick and choose which "rules" we will obey. Still not entirely sure why the "No overnight moorings" signs are there, but they are and they are clear.

There's a similar issue in Misterton on the Chesterfield canal. The houses are on the offside. Apparently some boat played loud music til the early hours. After a complaint, signs were put up forbidding all over night mooring.

Why should we all be tarred with the same brush. We had intended to stop there, as the mooring was in our new edition Nicholsons. We arrived tired, the rain had started falling, and had to do another 10 minutes before mooring.

But surely the point is the CaRT should enforce their notices (or remove them).

We can't pick and choose which "rules" we will obey. Still not entirely sure why the "No overnight moorings" signs are there, but they are and they are clear.

Possibly yes, but honestly I have no idea whether they do or not, I'm just going on what was said in the other thread. As I understand it they are there to placate unhappy flat dwellers. There are a few examples dotted around the system. I suspect they don't actually enforce them because there is no legal basis for doing so, but as it it keeps some of the locals happy it looks to them as if they are responding to them which keeps them off their backs.

I haven't actually moored overnight there so have no idea what happens if you try it.

I did once moor there along with two others and didn't see the notice until the next morning which is, if I remember right, is quite small writing at the bottom of a fairly lengthy spiel about lots of things. When visiting Saltaire I now moor opposite the church if the visitor moorings are taken, it's shallow but possible to get in if you use the boat pole to find a deeper bit.

I did once moor there along with two others and didn't see the notice until the next morning which is, if I remember right, is quite small writing at the bottom of a fairly lengthy spiel about lots of things. When visiting Saltaire I now moor opposite the church if the visitor moorings are taken, it's shallow but possible to get in if you use the boat pole to find a deeper bit.

Cheers.

I was born and brought up in Saltaire which is a World Heritage Site and well worth visiting. While you can, as suggested, moor overnight opposite the United Reform Church (just upstream of the former waterbus stop), I'd also be tempted to ignore the sign by the mill and stop there a bit further downstream.

Saltaire was a 'model village' constructed by Sir Titus Salt from 1851 on the banks of the river Aire to house his mill workers. Today the New Mill (towpath side) is offices and residences while the original mill building (offside) was bought by the late Jonathan Silver in 1986 and houses a number of businesses and entreprises including the 1853 Hockney Gallery. Walk up Victoria Road from the canal and you will find the very fine Victoria Hall on the left. Ask for Vicky or Chris (but all the staff are friendly and proud of their building) and if not in private use they will show you the main hall. You may find that the Cinema Organ Society's famous Wurlitzer pipe organ is being played privately for practice but usually an A board outside invites people in to listen if so. (I play, tune and help maintain the organ).

There are plenty of eateries and sandwich shops including the very good Salts Bakery. Sir Titus Salt did not approve of his workers drinking so there was no pub but now there are several licensed premises including 'Don't Tell Titus'! Back on the canal there is usually a wide beam ice cream boat from which you can also buy very tasty burgers, and a 12 seater trip boat.

Cross over the river on the footbridge to Roberts Park, and (if running) have a ride on the Glen Tramway up to Shipley Glen.

David L

I was born and brought up in Saltaire which is a World Heritage Site and well worth visiting. While you can, as suggested, moor overnight opposite the United Reform Church (just upstream of the former waterbus stop), I'd also be tempted to ignore the sign by the mill and stop there a bit further downstream.

Saltaire was a 'model village' constructed by Sir Titus Salt from 1851 on the banks of the river Aire to house his mill workers. Today the New Mill (towpath side) is offices and residences while the original mill building (offside) was bought by the late Jonathan Silver in 1986 and houses a number of businesses and entreprises including the 1853 Hockney Gallery. Walk up Victoria Road from the canal and you will find the very fine Victoria Hall on the left. Ask for Vicky or Chris (but all the staff are friendly and proud of their building) and if not in private use they will show you the main hall. You may find that the Cinema Organ Society's famous Wurlitzer pipe organ is being played privately for practice but usually an A board outside invites people in to listen if so. (I play, tune and help maintain the organ).

There are plenty of eateries and sandwich shops including the very good Salts Bakery. Sir Titus Salt did not approve of his workers drinking so there was no pub but now there are several licensed premises including 'Don't Tell Titus'! Back on the canal there is usually a wide beam ice cream boat from which you can also buy very tasty burgers, and a 12 seater trip boat.

Cross over the river on the footbridge to Roberts Park, and (if running) have a ride on the Glen Tramway up to Shipley Glen.

David L

Thanks Fanshaft,

We just love Saltaire for all the reasons you mention, and more.

Mooring is possible, if difficult, before and after the designated excellent day moorings, but it still begs the question why CaRT does not allow overnight mooring.

Does anyone from CaRT read this forum and perhaps reply? Whilst some erstwhile members have ignored the "No overnight mooring" signs without any issues/repercussions I suspect the majority of boaters will just move on which is a real shame.

Thanks Fanshaft,

We just love Saltaire for all the reasons you mention, and more.

Mooring is possible, if difficult, before and after the designated excellent day moorings, but it still begs the question why CaRT does not allow overnight mooring.

Does anyone from CaRT read this forum and perhaps reply? Whilst some erstwhile members have ignored the "No overnight mooring" signs without any issues/repercussions I suspect the majority of boaters will just move on which is a real shame.

As I keep saying - it was a sop to some local residents, to placate them against the onslaught of nasty boaters. AFAIK they actually cant' 'not allow' people to moor there, it's not legally enforceable.

That is why people who have moored overnight there have not been hassled, because CRT know they can't in reality do anything about it, but Mr. or Mrs. Shouty can point to the sign and hopefully worry boaters into moving on.

Unless somebody (either from CRT or not) knows different.

Morning Martin,

Yes, I tend to agree with you. However I am making a slightly different point. This is a real gem of a mooring at the heart of a World Heritage Site. Is it really the policy of CaRT to placate flat dwellers by putting up notices which they will not/can not enforce?. If so how can they expect boaters to comply with other notices around the system? That is a recipe for chaos and plain bad manners. Hence the original question was really pressure from flat dwellers (which as I already mentioned are behind a high wall) or is it something more technical (terms of a World Heritage Site, Titus Salt's estate rules etc). I amclutching a little at straws here.

Years ago we saw these signs, having intended to stay the night, and moved on. We met a local BW man next day and mentioned the issue. He confirmed that the signs were indeed there only because of moans from flat dwellers.

It is ludicrous that BW/CRT should abandon their assets ad readily as this, but there are examples all over the system where moorings have been blocked in a similar way.

I've suggested before that the answer should be that a neighbour is perfectly at liberty to occupy a length of mooring. However, as boaters have to pay the going rate for mooring long term, so they should be told they must pay. They should be offered the chance to pay what boaters would, pro rata to the length of bank they wish to keep clear! If not, CRT reserves their rights to allow their customers to continue to freely enjoy use of the Trust's valuable assets.

Morning Martin,

Yes, I tend to agree with you. However I am making a slightly different point. This is a real gem of a mooring at the heart of a World Heritage Site. Is it really the policy of CaRT to placate flat dwellers by putting up notices which they will not/can not enforce?. If so how can they expect boaters to comply with other notices around the system? That is a recipe for chaos and plain bad manners. Hence the original question was really pressure from flat dwellers (which as I already mentioned are behind a high wall) or is it something more technical (terms of a World Heritage Site, Titus Salt's estate rules etc). I amclutching a little at straws here.

You are correct that it calls into question a policy that results in some signage being enforceable and some not, and yes how does your average boater differentiate?

My understanding is that most if not all of these types of 'no mooring' signs erected have no basis upon which they can be enforced, but I am happy to be corrected.

We then of course have the issue of some signs that residents have made and erected themselves, some looking quite authentic. It's a bit of a minefield.

The last time I was at Selby it was winter so we had the stove lit One of the flat dwellers asked me to put out my stove and have some consideration for the Flat owners!! Marcus my large GSD told him to get lost!! The chap went round the other boats making the same request, its strange you buy a new flat by a canal then want to change things

Peter