Naming and shaming

Erie Canal

Featured Posts

I don't agree with naming and shaming and I think some people wait for something to complain about. There was a boat on the Coventry last week- It had "Slow Down" stickers each side at each end, and on each side a poster saying "What part of SLOW don't you understand" I thought it was OTT and gave me the impression they were waiting to shout at someone for going too fast??. I've seen much nicer signs- eg:-if you slow down, you'll get a smile:)

I very much agree. I've seen that boat too and their signage is unnecessarily aggressive, especially as they have a permanent mooring and tying a boat securely is not difficult, given they know there is a problem.

I'm going to put up some signs on my boat "No need to slow down. I can moor properly"

:D

MTb

• Greenie 1

Even with my limited experience on a canal boat, I'm pretty sure the rule on slowing down should be somewhere in the middle, i.e. just slow down a bit; don't go past at full speed, but there's no need to crawl along either. My brother evidently knows how to moor properly, because I've only ever felt a slight wobble when boats pass by us at a reasonable speed. It's a very trivial price to pay for mooring on a towpath.

I too stole a lock once, in my early days and I didn't know better

Should I bare my arse underneath Lincoln's Stonebow and be birched for my sins?

Yes, can you give us a couple of dates so we can arrange a banter and cwdf/Richard Parry attendance, occasions like this should be cemented In the Boating Calendar.

I too stole a lock once, in my early days and I didn't know better

Should I bare my arse underneath Lincoln's Stonebow and be birched for my sins?

Bare arse in Lincoln Stonebow, Braver man than meninja.gif

I very much agree. I've seen that boat too and their signage is unnecessarily aggressive, especially as they have a permanent mooring and tying a boat securely is not difficult, given they know there is a problem.

I'm going to put up some signs on my boat "No need to slow down. I can moor properly"

biggrin.png

MTb

I like thatclapping.gif

biggrin.png

MTb

I like one of Dave Moore's quotes

"There are souls who slow down and some are souls who don't".

At least I think it is Dave's, apologies if not.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

The Boaters Handbook

Keep your speed down when you're approaching bridges, locks, bends or junctions, and when passing other boats or anglers.

I don't see the problem in following that. So, with good mooring and considerate passing boaters life is a dream. If you want to go fast I suggest those signs are meant for you. The problem is fast is relative. Many who pass me are on tickover and their tickover has been set such that the lowest speed may be a tad more than yours/mine, hence the angst from some. I just ignore them as life is too short. Those who know they are being knobs and persist are just part of life's rich tapestry and I do hope they hit a nice concrete shelf.

I like one of Dave Moore's quotes

"There are souls who slow down and some are souls who don't".

At least I think it is Dave's, apologies if not.

I saw this on a boat somewhere whilst doing the warwickshire ring, it made me laugh.

The Boaters Handbook

Keep your speed down when you're approaching bridges, locks, bends or junctions, and when passing other boats or anglers.

I don't see the problem in following that. So, with good mooring and considerate passing boaters life is a dream. If you want to go fast I suggest those signs are meant for you. The problem is fast is relative. Many who pass me are on tickover and their tickover has been set such that the lowest speed may be a tad more than yours/mine, hence the angst from some. I just ignore them as life is too short. Those who know they are being knobs and persist are just part of life's rich tapestry and I do hope they hit a nice concrete shelf.

There is a slight problem here.

When you glimpse a passing boat through the window from inside your own boat, whatever the speed, it usually looks 'too fast' in my experience. Once you go outside to check your stern line/whatever so you can also have a good ol' yell at them, you realise they aren't going so fast after all.

This to me seems to explain why the occasional boater will yell and complain no matter how slow one is going. They have already made up their minds you are going 'too fast' before they even pop out to commence yelling. The've fallen victim to the optical illusion.

The effect is amplified if the moored boat has portholes instead of windows.

MtB

• Greenie 1

When you glimpse a passing boat through the window from inside your own boat, whatever the speed, it usually looks 'too fast' in my experience. Once you go outside to check your stern line/whatever so you can also have a good ol' yell at them, you realise they aren't going so fast after all.

This to me seems to explain why the occasional boater will yell and complain no matter how slow one is going. They have already made up their minds you are going 'too fast' before they even pop out to commence yelling. The've fallen victim to the optical illusion.

MtB

Mike

I see your comment as a valuable inclusion rather than identifying a problem, makes sense too, have a virtual greenie from my iPhone !

I hereby confess that I once left a lift bridge up for the boat who was coming towards us but was some distance away. I thought I was doing him a favour. As he passed us he read our number out for his wife to write down, and he probably reported me. There was plenty of space for them to pull in after the bridge on the right side and lower it themselves. Seems I should have waited the five or ten minutes for him to come through but I was being consumed by horse flies and needed to remove myself from the aforementioned lift bridge at high speed.

I am so very sorry and I have thrashed myself morning and evening since that very afternoon.

How about we have our own thread where we can confess to our own misdemeanors and be publicly exonerated. I admit that I nicked someones lock once - by mistake as I thought he had exited it not realising he planned to reverse in. Should I flogg myself also?

OK, how much do you want for yourself then?

OK, how much do you want for yourself then?

At the moment my wife would take anything as I'm driving her nuts - unexpected surgery last week means I have to sit around for 3 weeks doing nothing and all this wonderful boating weather. Not the best person to do nothing. So make an offer for a grumpy git.

MtB

This us very true. I usually do most of the steering and do try very hard not to speed. I have noticed that when I go below for a 'comfort break' and Landlady takes over the boat seems to speed up even though she has not touched the throttle as she pointed out once when I told her to slow down.

Perception us reality eh?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

MtB

My little trick with inappropriate ranters is to quickly flick the control from idle forwards to idle reverse as soon as I see them coming out the boat, once they arrive outside to shout "slow down" the boat is almost or stationary in the water. Still, 70% of the time they still shout something.....but by that point my boat is stopped, so its a good opportunity to have a conversation about the whole thing.