Couldn't get out of Netherton

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Coming south through Netherton tunnel yesterday we couldn't get out of the end. The local good had found a length of 1" diameter armoured cable sheathing and had attached it securely to the towpath railings on each side. About a foot above the water and black it was difficult to spot, so I only just stopped in time; I then had to remove it without venturing beyond the portal because of course they were waiting above the parapet armed with stones and spit (I hope it was only spit) despite the area being busy with Sunday walkers.

It took about half an hour to clear an exit path. I wonder if anyone such as CRT would be interested if I report it?

Personally I would report it to both CRT and the police..perhaps using the 101 number...next time it might be thin wire at neck height....

We got stuff chucked at us at coming out of the portal near the new main line a couple of years ago....let's just say that that the other half taught them some new languge which I don't think they were exepecting....

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

CRT's Customer Service Team will probably have been available to help with this sort of incident - and at the end of the tunnel a mobilephone signal has some chance of alerting them: if they thought there was a risk of violence (stone-throwing counts) then they may also have summoned the police.

I guess you passed OK the siltbar at the moorings between Tardebigge and Shortwood Tunnels, which CRT's Trifor pulled us across before we (on Fulbourne, lock 21W&B) passed one another on Friday morning :-)

P8019849.JPG

I've reported it now to both CRT and 101 so I hope someone may keep an eye open for any repeats. I don't know where the cable came from but my guess is from a building or demolition site where there may be plenty more available to them.

Thanks for the photo, yes we passed slowly over the silt bar and didn't touch it.

I have to admit Allan if that had been us, and the culprits were still there I'd have rung 999 straight away.

There would have been much more chance of catching them, or at least gathering evidence.

While throwing stones off a bridge is dangerous and not to be dismissed lightly, setting this up shows much more forethought, who knows what they might think of next if not shown the error of their ways . And in my mind that's an uncomfortable interview with the police, not vigilante stuff.

Sue

I've reported it now to both CRT and 101 so I hope someone may keep an eye open for any repeats. I don't know where the cable came from but my guess is from a building or demolition site where there may be plenty more available to them.

Thanks for the photo, yes we passed slowly over the silt bar and didn't touch it.

Interesting to read this - we went through from south to north last month. As we approached someone warned us that cable had been strung across the tunnel mouth and that volunteers were working to clear it. When we got up to the portal a group in hi-viz were reeling in some black cable that sounds very similar to what you found.

There were no scrotes around but it sounded like this wasn't the first time they'd done this. Might be worth mentioning if you get any response from 101 or CRT.

What time of day was this Allen? I'd be surprised if you were the only one targeted, and wonder if anyone else reported this. The more reports C&RT and the police get, the more chance there is of somebody getting caught. And although there is a chance nobody will do anything, if its not reported its a certainty that nothing will be done.

It was mid-afternoon around 3, and I suspect the potential targets were people about to enter the tunnel. From within the tunnel it was possible (with care) to remove the obstruction without ever being more than a momentary target.

Both CRT and 101 sounded interested on the phone but you can never tell how much further it will get. Perhaps more likely to have a result is that today while returning northwards I saw two bobbies on bicycles at Dudley Port Junction near the North end of the tunnel so I stopped and told them all the details too.

It was mid-afternoon around 3, and I suspect the potential targets were people about to enter the tunnel. From within the tunnel it was possible (with care) to remove the obstruction without ever being more than a momentary target.

Both CRT and 101 sounded interested on the phone but you can never tell how much further it will get. Perhaps more likely to have a result is that today while returning northwards I saw two bobbies on bicycles at Dudley Port Junction near the North end of the tunnel so I stopped and told them all the details too.

Well done

:)

What an awful experience for you.

This was in the school holidays, mid afternoon, in a city.

We would always try to get through lock flights and tunnels in the early morning. Hopefully these scrotes would still have been in bed.

With the advent of digital cameras a 35mm film camera can be bought for very little money along with an impressive looking telephoto lens.

Film does go off but a roll a year might be a good buy.

Lets hope they do not think to get the cable just under the H2o so you can go over it until the prop catches.

Scrap copper fetches good money by the way

this is a worrying development. Sounds like it is worth picking up a cheap 35mm SLR from eBay / Pre-loved etc as Barry suggested above and keep to hand by the helm in order to keep the little scroats at bay / provide evidence if needed!

Lets hope they do not think to get the cable just under the H2o so you can go over it until the prop catches.

Scrap copper fetches good money by the way

Don't give the little darlings any more good ideas please!!

Saw you going up the Severn last week - was it Thursday around luchtime?

Yes that wouuld have been us. If it was below Diglis we would have been travelling quite fast after our engineer told us to push it really haard and see if the new engine overheated (it didn't) so Upper Lode to Diglis took just less than 3 hours - after that we were travelling much slower.

this is a worrying development. Sounds like it is worth picking up a cheap 35mm SLR from eBay / Pre-loved etc as Barry suggested above and keep to hand by the helm in order to keep the little scroats at bay / provide evidence if needed!

Sadly the photo's won't be evidence but don't tell them that.

:(