New Hull Pitting

oasis

Featured Posts

We were away for a few weeks, got back this afternoon.

I was looking out our side hatch and noticed some pitting corrosion at the water line and slightly below it. I felt the bubbles and the blacking came away revealing rust underneath.

I black the hull every 2 yrs and haven't experienced this before (last blacking July 2013). We have recently moved our position in the marina we are in and the next door boats haven't got shore power.

I think this will only get worse, what are the forum members opinion? Ask to have our old position back again?

We were away for a few weeks, got back this afternoon.

I was looking out our side hatch and noticed some pitting corrosion at the water line and slightly below it. I felt the bubbles and the blacking came away revealing rust underneath.

I black the hull every 2 yrs and haven't experienced this before (last blacking July 2013). We have recently moved our position in the marina we are in and the next door boats haven't got shore power.

I think this will only get worse, what are the forum members opinion? Ask to have our old position back again?

Can't see how moving positions in a marina would make any difference. If you have shore power get a Isolating Transformer or Galvanic Isolator, but what you describe just sounds like a poor blackening job.

It's not clear from your post but presumably you have got shore power? If so, are you isolated, galvanically speaking?

Edit: Also, a bit of rust on the waterline doesn't necessarily mean there is pitting. Bitumen based blacking is notoriously susceptible to all sorts of external environmental factors such as diesel and also UV light.

Once I start to see rust on the waterline I generally leave it for another year before re-blacking and I've never found pitting below those rust patches. Then again I prep and black my hull properly, unlike some of these yards, so I get 3 years out of it before I start to see rust.

Edited by blackrose