Birmingham moorings

Featured Posts

Really sorry about this - I'm sure someone else has asked this but can't find it. Planning first trip through Birmingham this summer, coming up from the Ashby. Can you reccomend good places to moor, routes etc? If you can find a link to the earlier replies, just post it - I've never had any luck with the search engine.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56742&hl=%2Bbirmingham+%2Bmoorings#entry1075933

Is possibly the best thread but just to add there are plenty of moorings starting at Holiday Wharf by the Mailbox and running the length along Gas Street and round onto the New Main Line by the NIA. Might be a bit noisy by the NIA as they are rebuilding it and the work starts at 7 am. Moorings from Old Turn down to Farmers Bridge top lock and in Cambrian Wharf. The most secure moorings are on Oozells Loop at the back of the Sea Life Centre but a bit enclosed so don't expect a lot of early morning sunshine.

The moorings along Gas Street can be a bit noisy over the weekend.

Birmingham moorings have been pretty full since the floating market and it seems to have more overstayers than in previous years but you should find a suitable space provided you arrive at a sensible time.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

As nicknorman says, don't overnight between Curdworth (you can moor just after the tunnel heading into Brum) and the top of Farmers bridge (easily doable in a day, even single handed). It's not worth tempting fate around Castle Vale, Erdington and Aston.

Links to a couple of threads:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67213&hl=

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64374&hl=

Enjoy!

Birmingham is a lovely place for visitors to moor. I was stuck in the area for two months at the start of this year, thanks to lock stoppages, and generally found it better than ever, especially if you don't have to commute or car-shuffle.

Coming up from Curdworth, on the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, I found it generally welcoming, and the biggest problem was the unexpected swarms of anglers in various areas, many of whom would camp on mooring rings or bollards.

The Saltley Cut (Garrison Locks) is a much underused section. Star City moorings are safe, but the ones at the top of the Garrison Locks are also almost unused for no reason I can see. They were safe and welcoming to me.

SImilarly at the top of Ashted Locks, outside Aston University. I really don't understand the allegation that they might be 'unsafe' - they're not.

Cuckoo Wharf, near Spaghetti Junction, is another good place - but when I was there earlier this year there seem to have been a lot of long-stayers and working boats that weren't supposed to be there.