Cropredy Marina - suggestions for a 2 day out 2 day back trip

owenk

Featured Posts

Looking for realistic suggestions as to how far my son could take our boat starting from Cropredy Marina on a four day round trip with his mates.

Probably a weekend eitehr side of Cropredy Festival weekend so I am guessing heading south might be a bit of a pain?

Hi Owen. Much depends upon his/ their level of experience. I would suggest Napton Bottom Lock (winding hole just round the corner, shop and facilities, place of public refreshment very adjacent). We have done that trip from Cropredy centre in under eight hours but we were motoring, two fairly leisurely days each way would be more typical.

They could push on to Braunston but the Napton-Braunston section is boring much of the way.

I have always assumed (poss: quite wrongly) that most boaty visitors to the Festival would be coming off the 'main system' rather than fro the Thames??

Yes, that's why the locks going down into Cropredy may well be busy. The marina is on the North side of the village.

I have always assumed (poss: quite wrongly) that most boaty visitors to the Festival would be coming off the 'main system' rather than fro the Thames??

Agreed but I was wporking on the basis that the weekend before the event the canal at Cropredy itself would be pretty bunged up with festival goers.

I've been through Cropredy several times when the festival is on. The weekends either side are busy with queues at locks in both directions. Once you've got through the first 2 locks it's usually not too bad. The worst time is when the festival has just finished and everyone is trying to get home.

• 3 weeks later...

The best time is when festival finishes I was single handed from Napton to Fenny Compton .It was amazing how many locks where done for me to speed their departure lol